Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gosal
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have logged 4 plays to the game and it was a very wonderful and strategic game I can't wait to play more.

I know there are ways to get CAs in the early stage of the game and I'm wondering which one is preferable, pyramid, code of laws or both?

Seems like everyone rated pyramid very high but from my play I usually ended up struggling building it (My leader was Hammurabi both time). Even after it was built I ended up with many CAs but few resources and low science rating (due to allocate resources to building the wonders).

I've had better times with Code of Laws where I build Philosophy early (turn 3 or 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take both

Jokes apart...it depends on the line up may be?

Plus Pyramis is worth 5 pts with impact of wonders instead of "potentially" 2 pts for code of law.

But....Code of law is one-action, pyramid could take 3 unless you take Masonry

gosalkevin wrote:
I have logged 4 plays to the game and it was a very wonderful and strategic game I can't wait to play more.

I know there are ways to get CAs in the early stage of the game and I'm wondering which one is preferable, pyramid, code of laws or both?

Seems like everyone rated pyramid very high but from my play I usually ended up struggling building it (My leader was Hammurabi both time). Even after it was built I ended up with many CAs but few resources and low science rating (due to allocate resources to building the wonders).

I've had better times with Code of Laws where I build Philosophy early (turn 3 or 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pyramids is usually better because science is quite a bit scarcer than rock in Age I. Having said that, both of them are good, and I've taken both on a number of occasions. (Including one memorable game where I had Aristotle, got both down early, and then filled my hand with techs. I think I got about 8 or 9 science out of Aristotle that time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All else being equal, usually the Pyramids edge out if you draft the Engineering Genius A. It's essentially easier to get rocks than science. On the other hand, with Aristotle, Code of Laws is easier to play.

Naturally, having both is even better, but not that useful. Although the 5th Civil Action is HUGE, the 6th is not that useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One important consideration is that you're (almost) never directly choosing between the two, at least from the card row. The Pyramids are there in age A, you can take it and have a Wonder to build, maybe instead take another Wonder, but by the time Code of Laws is around, it's unlikely to be at the same time as the Pyramids. Of course, there are times you might take the Pyramids, and later also take Code of Laws and have to decide between them, in which case I generally agree with the above posts - science is much more scarce in age I. You start with a science income of 1, and it's hard to boost it beyond 2, while for resources you start with 2, can easily bump it up to 3, and there's a lot more yellow cards providing extra resources than extra science.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonas havreglid
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In age 1 my priorities are:

1)Pyramids - op
2)Monarchy - really worthwhile with both types of action being better and it being cheap. Quite easy to revolt to if you can get it in the beginning of the age.
3)Code of laws - slightly expensive compared to monarchy but works with the age 2 governments (if you can afford them)
4)Hammurabi - there are better options but he works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's not a question of Pyramids vs CoL. If you can get Pyramids you take Pyramids, always.

Having Pyramids makes Age I governments strong. Alternatively you could get CoL and never bother with a government upgrade.

If you don't have Pyramids you should make a serious effort to get CoL, it makes everything better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscheck wrote:
It's not a question of Pyramids vs CoL. If you can get Pyramids you take Pyramids, always.

Having Pyramids makes Age I governments strong. Alternatively you could get CoL and never bother with a government upgrade.

If you don't have Pyramids you should make a serious effort to get CoL, it makes everything better.

Timing is everything, is a CoL that good at the end of Age 1? Or is it better to hold off, go for JS / Age 2 Government?

Circumstances will always be different, and that is why I chuckle at people who argue that TTA is strategic, while Nations is tactical. There is only 1 Pyramids, and only a few CoL / JS. Someone will be left out. That someone can and often does compete to win. You have to react to the board state, and to the card row differently. TTA is incredibly tactical. Just because you know what cards are coming, doesn't mean you can secure the cards you want.

With regards to CoL vs Pyramids, I prefer Pyramids because it is age A. I have the best chance to use it more than CoL. That is the only reason I prefer one over the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Scheck
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Mabuchi wrote:
is a CoL that good at the end of Age 1?

It is slightly less good. The strength of CoL is getting an action advantage going into Age II, which is important because Age II has so many critical cards. And if you only have CoL you will need an Age II government anyway. Monarchy gives the same advantage, but unfortunately precludes the use of Age II governments…which helps the other players. Although the player who ends up not getting Con Mon would have been better off playing Monarchy much earlier.

Quote:
who argue that TTA is strategic, while Nations is tactical

All tactical decisions in TTA must be evaluated for their long term consequences, which is why TTA is primarily strategic. IMO the best examples are Swordsmen, Knights, and Air Forces. It happens occasionally, even frequently, that you will be able to make a very strong tactical play…that requires passing on the last copy of a crucial military tech. Nope! “Being the strongest” is purely strategic, since becoming the strongest never directly benefits you on the turn you do it.

Having said that, if you are playing within the limits of good strategy, there are a variety of different strategic paths and very many tactical decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
tscheck wrote:

The Pyramids are quite strong, as are early civil actions overall. Couple other considerations:
Pyramids will always come out early ensuring a lot of benefit. CoL can come out fairly late in Age I when the cost/benefit weighed against spending science on an Age 2 government points more toward the Age II government.
If you wind up with an Age II government, Ravages of Time can turn your pyramids into 2 culture/turn with little damage to yourself, and hurting others who rely on wonders like, say,Hanging Gardens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5th CA is very important. It gives such flexibility over just having 4 CAs that it's quite important to get it. But 6 science is alot, whereas the 6 resources Pyramids takes is quite trivial to gain. Yellow cards and age A events give a lot more resources on average than science, and you'll naturally produce more resources than science anyway during Age I.

Therefore I will always pick Pyramids if I can with 1 or 2 CAs, excluding some edge cases (e.g. I'd pick Engineering Genius with 1 CA and some other useful card with 1 CA rather than Pyramids with 2 CA, unless I can spare 3 CAs to pick both the EG and Pyramids).

If I didn't get Pyramids, I try to get Code of Laws, but usually won't pay more than 1 CA for it. If I got Pyramids, I'd only get CoL in very specific situations, like having Aristotle and events giving me a lot of science while not having many other techs on which to use my science. 5th CA is almost crucial but you don't need 6 or more until later in age II. Now obviously 6 CAs is better than 5, but you never have too much science in age I, so using 6 of it for 6th CA instead of something else is almost certainly sub-optimal.

gosalkevin wrote:

OK well regardless of the wonder you pick during turn 1 or 2, you almost always should get a 3rd Bronze AND 2nd Philosophy before completing the wonder. 1 science per turn is just not going to be enough. The extra CA or other benefit from an age A wonder certainly can wait until you produce 2 sci/turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.