Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Is 33C (91F) too hot for board games if it happens for about 1 to 3 weeks per year in the summer? Would some glued components start to disintegrate after several years? The RH is not a problem and is pretty stable at 45% - 55%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I often leave mine in the trunk of my car all summer where it probably gets much hotter than that and I've yet to notice any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second that I also think it's fine. My garage, when many of my games are kept, gets fairly warmer than that, and for much longer than 1-3 weeks. I would, of course, keep them out of direct sunlight and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd say that those kind of temperatures shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rust Never Sleeps
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
That should be fine. I keep boxes of games up in my attic, and I'm sure that before I installed an attic fan it regularly got above 120 F up there.

I didn't notice any problem with the games. What I did notice is that shrinkwrap would tighten and sometimes split at the seams, and the plastic storage totes that I stored the games in would deform and sometimes crack.

As mentioned above, direct sunlight can be a killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only issue you might run into is if you have any of the crayon rail games like Empire Builder. I have heard of people crayons melting in a hot car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Fahrenheit 451
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Fahrenheit 451

Dang, you got here first. Yes, it is ideal to store games below their flash point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't leave Mystic Vale in my car (again).
Must have left it there for a day several cards warped a bit. I'm working on flattening them, but expect minimal improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
That should be fine. I keep boxes of games up in my attic, and I'm sure that before I installed an attic fan it regularly got above 120 F up there.

I didn't notice any problem with the games. What I did notice is that shrinkwrap would tighten and sometimes split at the seams, and the plastic storage totes that I stored the games in would deform and sometimes crack.
Just because you haven't noticed problems yet doesn't mean no damage was done. I suspect that in five years your games will show their age more than games that weren't subjected to extreme heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think that humidity would be a much bigger problem than heat. But ask yourself, if you store things in boxes in your attic, how do the boxes look 5 years later? Unchanged, right? Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
My friend Bob keeps a million games in his car at all times. An intelligent car thief would steal his games and leave the car behind. Point is, I have a lot of experience playing games that have been sitting in the heat for eons.

I have never seen actual game damage, with the exception of Mystic Vale. The heat severely warped the cards, which feel like they're made out of laminator sheets.

Many, many boxes have been severely faded by the sun. But again, all components have been good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
I'd think that humidity would be a much bigger problem than heat. But ask yourself, if you store things in boxes in your attic, how do the boxes look 5 years later? Unchanged, right? Right.

I would also say that humidity would be a bigger problem than temp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don cogswell
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Having moved from Northern California to South Florida I had to have conditioned storage. So far so good but what will/would happen in a prolonged power outage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
mb
Some good general guidelines on best practices for archival of books/documents... which is generally applicable to boardgames as well:

https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
According to the site that Darren shared "Heat accelerates deterioration: the rate of most chemical reactions, including deterioration, is approximately doubled with each increase in temperature of 18°F (10°C)". That is quite eye opening. I wonder how many years it would take to notice problems at 33C for 1-3 weeks (and 18-24C the rest of the year). The temperature in my downstairs rooms ranges from 10C in winter to 24C in summer, so maybe that would be more suitable. It has less air-flow though but that could be easily solved with a fan on a timer. I also have a dehumidifier that keeps RH at around 50%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Is 33C (91F) too hot for board games if it happens for about 1 to 3 weeks per year in the summer? Would some glued components start to disintegrate after several years? The RH is not a problem and is pretty stable at 45% - 55%.
I take it RH means relative humidity?

I've left games in my car all year round in humidity levels of 40% to 80%. They were mostly fine. My copy of Race For The Galaxy got "grime and grit" on it, so I sleeved my 2nd copy of the game just to be safe. Temperatures ranged from 8 degrees (F) to 102.

I'm assuming in desert areas where it's really dry, humidity would be even less of a concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, most games make a trans-Pacific trip in a metal box that is going to get hot and probably humid. I'm not saying it is ideal to keep them in a hot place, but it's not insta-bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't get A/C my games sure as heck don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometime around 2003 or so, my roommate burned us out of our apartment. The room my games were in did not burn, but the adjacent room was completely fried, and the games were in a closet adjoining that room. The game boxes got pretty smokey, but they all survived intact, with no visible effect on the contents, and I can only imagine how hot it got in that closet while the entire room some 6 inches away was burning furiously...

Pete (doesn't worry much about heat and games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
Must have left it there for a day several cards warped a bit. I'm working on flattening them, but expect minimal improvement.

Mist the cards with a spray bottle. Get the card slightly damp and place between flat surfaces under weight (5-10lbs), for about for 6-8 hours (overnight or while at work). Reams of paper work excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schade
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jetcougar wrote:
SpaceAlien wrote:

Mist the cards with a spray bottle. Get the card slightly damp and place between flat surfaces under weight (5-10lbs), for about for 6-8 hours (overnight or while at work). Reams of paper work excellent.

Mystic Vale has plastic cards. That's not going to do sqiddle squat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.