$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Healing Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Helton
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there is a way to heal characters during an Episode?

The other night, we played the our first game of Firefly using Serenity Pt 1 & 2 + The Train Job. Our main characters were Inara & Mal, played by my partner & myself, with Zoe, Simon, & Kaylee as our non-player main characters. During Serenity Pt 2, we came across the side job, Save a Dying Patient. This side job says, "You may heal the Patient as though it were a main character with 1 damage to complete this Side Job". But as far as we can tell, the only way to heal a character is by spending Credits during Intermission. Since Simon was one of our non-player main characters, we didn't have his deck in play. Presumably his deck would have healing abilities. But does this mean that there is no way to complete this side job unless Simon's deck is in play? Is there some other way to heal characters outside of intermission? Is there something glaringly obvious in the rules that I have somehow managed to overlook?

If anyone can help us understand how this is supposed to work, we would very much appreciate it!

[EDIT] Replaced the term "supporting character" with "non-player main characters", to be consistent with rulebook terminology
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Technically, the "supporting characters" are the 4 characters whose cards are in the Crew deck. In the scenario you described, Zoe, Simon, and Kaylee were (non-player) Main Characters.

Unfortunately, non-player Main Characters don't really contribute much to the game, other than triggering "If _____ is a Main Character" effects.

Simon is the primary healer in the game, with his Talent being a heal, as well as 13 of his 14 cards having the possibility of healing.

Inara also has some healing cards, but since she was a main character, her cards were not in the deck (and her Talent is not related to healing).

So really, with that character setup, there would have been no way for you to successfully complete that Side Job.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Helton
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, Jay. We wondered if that wasn't the case. It's good to know we didn't completely biff our first play!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Technically, the "supporting characters" are the 4 characters whose cards are in the Crew deck. In the scenario you described, Zoe, Simon, and Kaylee were (non-player) Main Characters.

Unfortunately, non-player Main Characters don't really contribute much to the game, other than triggering "If _____ is a Main Character" effects.

Simon is the primary healer in the game, with his Talent being a heal, as well as 13 of his 14 cards having the possibility of healing.

Inara also has some healing cards, but since she was a main character, her cards were not in the deck (and her Talent is not related to healing).

So really, with that character setup, there would have been no way for you to successfully complete that Side Job.


Found this thread while searching for the point of having non player main characters. Seems to me talent cards should be able to be used for the non player main cards. They're on your ship. You should be able to utilize them. Otherwise what's the point?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
Technically, the "supporting characters" are the 4 characters whose cards are in the Crew deck. In the scenario you described, Zoe, Simon, and Kaylee were (non-player) Main Characters.

Unfortunately, non-player Main Characters don't really contribute much to the game, other than triggering "If _____ is a Main Character" effects.

Simon is the primary healer in the game, with his Talent being a heal, as well as 13 of his 14 cards having the possibility of healing.

Inara also has some healing cards, but since she was a main character, her cards were not in the deck (and her Talent is not related to healing).

So really, with that character setup, there would have been no way for you to successfully complete that Side Job.


Found this thread while searching for the point of having non player main characters. Seems to me talent cards should be able to be used for the non player main cards. They're on your ship. You should be able to utilize them. Otherwise what's the point?


I think you would find that would make the game much easier but could be an interesting variant to try out for those having a harder time with the game. Generally, the only reason they are there are to trigger game effects from the cards and to determine which crew you will use as supporting crew in the crew deck.

They can take crew strikes as well which works a bit different from your personal avatar. If they take any damage from a crew strike they are automatically killed and can subsequently be healed like any other character. In the meantime, they do not count as a main character for any card effects.

They have a pretty minimal effect overall but I like the way it's done personally.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I get how they work I just think this is kind of lame from a thematic sense. You have a medic on your ship that doesn't do anything but die. Or maybe sometimes rarely has an event in the mission deck that targets him. Or buffs certain player cards IF they come up to the bridge and IF you can buy them and IF you draw them when you can take advantage of their abilities.

I think a variant allowing the talent cards to be used on these non player cards would balance the game, not necessarily make it any easier.

I know I know, I hate house rules too. Hear me out.

For instance: if I'm playing two handed solo, that's three avatars just sitting there. In a real game with five people, there's more turnover on the bridge, more chances for enemies to die, more chances for players to use their talent cards.

By playing solo you can get locked into a certain setup of player cards in the bridge and only have access to triggering one or two avatar abilities. Add to that, with this variant there's still less talent cards in play. When I draw one I have to decide which ability to use it on and then it's gone.

There's more to it, but I'm thinking it's really weighted against a solo player.

To add to the discussion, in campaign mode this gets even more difficult since all damage carries over and player decks reset back to the original 13 cards (unless I'm reading that rule wrong). Sure you keep your upgrades but they disappear with ship strike damage. So basically the difficulty just continues to ramp up. You can't even get more purchase power beyond the five brown coat cards if the bridge gets stuck at expensive cards you can't afford right off the bat.

As a single handed solo player of the lord of the rings lcg up through the latest cycle, I can tell you I don't mind difficult. But this is far too random on top of the difficulty ramp. Hopefully I'm missing something. Maybe the player decks don't reset like I'm interpreting?

All that being said I really have enjoyed the card interactions and player deck mechanics as well as the episodes I've gotten through.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
For instance: if I'm playing two handed solo, that's three avatars just sitting there. In a real game with five people, there's more turnover on the bridge, more chances for enemies to die, more chances for players to use their talent cards.


I disagree with your assessment.
The episode cards proceed at the same pace whether it is 5 players all taking a single turn, or 1 player taking 5 turns.

However, in the latter scenario, that one player's deck will be alot more powerful and able to deal with the encounters than the decks of the 5 players who have only had the chance to buy maybe one card (or two cheap ones on a good draw). Utilizing the "preparation round(s)" option does balance things out a bit, but still the fewer players, the quicker the player deck(s) will be in comparison to the pace of the episode cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
No I get how they work I just think this is kind of lame from a thematic sense. You have a medic on your ship that doesn't do anything but die. Or maybe sometimes rarely has an event in the mission deck that targets him. Or buffs certain player cards IF they come up to the bridge and IF you can buy them and IF you draw them when you can take advantage of their abilities.

I think a variant allowing the talent cards to be used on these non player cards would balance the game, not necessarily make it any easier.

I know I know, I hate house rules too. Hear me out.

For instance: if I'm playing two handed solo, that's three avatars just sitting there. In a real game with five people, there's more turnover on the bridge, more chances for enemies to die, more chances for players to use their talent cards.

By playing solo you can get locked into a certain setup of player cards in the bridge and only have access to triggering one or two avatar abilities. Add to that, with this variant there's still less talent cards in play. When I draw one I have to decide which ability to use it on and then it's gone.

There's more to it, but I'm thinking it's really weighted against a solo player.

To add to the discussion, in campaign mode this gets even more difficult since all damage carries over and player decks reset back to the original 13 cards (unless I'm reading that rule wrong). Sure you keep your upgrades but they disappear with ship strike damage. So basically the difficulty just continues to ramp up. You can't even get more purchase power beyond the five brown coat cards if the bridge gets stuck at expensive cards you can't afford right off the bat.

As a single handed solo player of the lord of the rings lcg up through the latest cycle, I can tell you I don't mind difficult. But this is far too random on top of the difficulty ramp. Hopefully I'm missing something. Maybe the player decks don't reset like I'm interpreting?

All that being said I really have enjoyed the card interactions and player deck mechanics as well as the episodes I've gotten through.


The difficulty is balanced in different ways. With multiple people you get more talent abilities, and damage is spread out, but your decks will be weaker, since each player has less turns. With fewer players, you have less health and fewer abilities, but you will end up with a stronger deck by the end of each level.

I think they approached the avatars wrong. Instead of using additional avatars to be your main characters, they should have put the focus on the supporting characters. These cards are the ones which determine you'll be able to do. If you think about the game as being about your avatars, and the deck of cards, the remaining avatars can be mostly overlooked, which is functionally more like how the game actually works.

I've played through the first 3 games (8 episodes) so far in campaign mode with the same avatars/supporting characters, and it's interesting, definitely different than the previous versions. Having your characters locked in for the campaign means that some times you're just going to get hosed, and sometimes things are going to be fairly easy. I'm using mal, zoe, wash, and kaylee as the supporting deck, and it's actually been a bit more difficult than I expected. The cards don't mesh as well as I had hoped. After this I'm going to do another campaign with 4 different sets of cards, and then a couple games which all have the final character, and see how different each level feels with the different decks.

I can't imagine playing the campaign without some way of healing regularly (other than the credits at the end). I picked Simon as my avatar (along with Jayne), and his talents are used up almost as fast as I can get them. With Jayne, they stay in his deck for a long time, then get used up towards the end of each game when the big hitters come out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:
For instance: if I'm playing two handed solo, that's three avatars just sitting there. In a real game with five people, there's more turnover on the bridge, more chances for enemies to die, more chances for players to use their talent cards.


I disagree with your assessment.
The episode cards proceed at the same pace whether it is 5 players all taking a single turn, or 1 player taking 5 turns.

However, in the latter scenario, that one player's deck will be alot more powerful and able to deal with the encounters than the decks of the 5 players who have only had the chance to buy maybe one card (or two cheap ones on a good draw). Utilizing the "preparation round(s)" option does balance things out a bit, but still the fewer players, the quicker the player deck(s) will be in comparison to the pace of the episode cards.


Yes, the episode deck proceeds at the same rate, and you're exactly right: a solo deck will have more cards but play slower.

You're ignoring the fact that three other players would also be able to use avatar abilities and there would be three more talent cards in play in the game as well. That's a huge loss for a solo player.

You're also ignoring that with five players, that's more chances a player might clear a locked out bridge full of 5 and 6 cost characters in the early rounds. To compound this issue there are only 5 "maria hill" aka browncoat cards that ramp up your spending power.

This was my initial complaint: having three avatars just sitting there with abilities they can't use. It's not the same balance as 5 players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Non-active Main Characters (or whatever you call them) will trigger certain episode effects.

For instance, if Mal and Inara are both non-active MCs and Good Night Kiss from Our Mrs. Reynolds comes up, all active MCs will get a Talent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Technically, the "supporting characters" are the 4 characters whose cards are in the Crew deck. In the scenario you described, Zoe, Simon, and Kaylee were (non-player) Main Characters.

Unfortunately, non-player Main Characters don't really contribute much to the game, other than triggering "If _____ is a Main Character" effects.

Simon is the primary healer in the game, with his Talent being a heal, as well as 13 of his 14 cards having the possibility of healing.

Inara also has some healing cards, but since she was a main character, her cards were not in the deck (and her Talent is not related to healing).

So really, with that character setup, there would have been no way for you to successfully complete that Side Job.


It's kind of a bummer to have a situation where a side job is unachievable right from the start (at least in a specific configuration). I guess sometimes life just sucks in the 'Verse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.