Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having picked up the Mercs 2.0 rules at Gencon I'm thinking it would be good to build a narrative campaign combining both Recon and 2.0 that would get the Mercs out of the office

The Recon part is easy to pull together linking existing missions but the 2.0 is more tricky, particularly if you want to play co-op. The 2.0 rules give stats and behaviors for the Sec-for units so it doesn't take too much work to get a basic game going. I've already managed a few test runs with my newly painted Texico team. (Cowboy hats and a dog you've got to love that )

Would be good to hear if anyone else has tried this or given any thoughts to house rules, types of scenarios that would work, problems encountered, or cool ideas about what could be done combining the two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are pretty different. Using the Recon rules on a regular board would mean having to figure out what constitutes a tile for movement and fire on a board with no tiles. You could use other game tiles like Myth or Earth Reborn or your own terrain which is built into pieces you could consider tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if I was unclear, I'm not suggesting merging the rules or using Recon to play Mercs games. What I'm thinking about is creating a continuous narrative between the two game systems.

Stats and behaviors for all of the Recon Sec-for units are provided in Mercs 2.0 as are the stats for each Mercs faction. For anyone interested in both, or in maximizing their investment, it should be possible to build ladder campaigns or linear campaigns where the result of a Recon mission impact either on type or victory conditions of a 2.0 scenario with the same factions. (Or vise versa) Say Texico attack a KemVar office to pick up Intel on force dispositions near the Panama Canal. If they're successful play a 2.0 scenario trying to destroy a training facility in South America. If they fail play a KemVar strike on the canal. Depending on the result of this game follow up with an appropriate Recon mission that builds on the narrative.

I'm primarily interested in solo or co-op so this brings the added complication of programming the behavior of the Sec-for specifically for the scenario which takes it beyond the basic behaviors provided in Mercs 2.0 rules.

I really like Recon which will be my Mercs game of choice but it would be nice on occasion to get out of the office environment and use more of the rich background material provided in the 2.0 rules. A change up in the rules to get some more tactical depth on occasion might also be interesting.

Strangely I have actually considered using Dust Tactics terrain boards or the Deazone mat to shift Recon out doors but figure it's not worth it if I can scratch that itch with Mercs 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in the TT mercs book it has behaviors/cards for each of the secfor 1-4 and even non-combat npcs just run off a copy near the back of the book and then u don't have to worry about that

I'm using all the recon minis for tabletop and pretty much skipping the boardgame. The rulebook does help a lot good luck I started a thread combining the two and gave a brief batrep here it is https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1544138/mercs-10-hybrid-rec...

I used 1.0 b/c I didn't have the 2.0 book when I played this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinT1 wrote:
Well in the TT mercs book it has behaviors/cards for each of the secfor 1-4 and even non-combat npcs just run off a copy near the back of the book and then u don't have to worry about that

I'm using all the recon minis for tabletop and pretty much skipping the boardgame. The rulebook does help a lot good luck I started a thread combining the two and gave a brief batrep here it is https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1544138/mercs-10-hybrid-rec...

I used 1.0 b/c I didn't have the 2.0 book when I played this.

I read this when you originally posted it but had forgotten all about it. Interesting idea but one you've presumably dropped if you're now "skipping" Recon?

I've used the behaviors for SecFor from the 2.0 book and they're fine for basic use. If however you want to have something specific happen in a scenario, even as simple as defending something, you need to add a little extra AI to some of the models.

What I was surprised by was how deadly the SecFor can be! I had to dramatically reduce the number of SecFor form some of my early attempts at scenario design after having my MERCS gunned down blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the Mercs 2.0 book and cards but have never played the tabletop game. I don't really have any terrain at home (though my local game store has some used for Warhammer I could probably adapt). However the problem is I really LIKE the board game. It's unique, it comes with it's own ever changing terrain, and there is a good solitaire option. I watched a couple of games played on YouTube and thought it was an interesting system, but it didn't seem that much of a draw compared to the board game.

Is the tabletop game really worth using the Recon minis for? What do you get that you don't get in the board game? Just outside battles?

That said the 2.0 book is beautiful and it's been very helpful in painting the minis because of it's great art. That alone makes it worth buying as well as the background on the world and the short story (which feeds to the novel which is also good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
However the problem is I really LIKE the board game. It's unique, it comes with it's own ever changing terrain, and there is a good solitaire option. I watched a couple of games played on YouTube and thought it was an interesting system, but it didn't seem that much of a draw compared to the board game.

Is the tabletop game really worth using the Recon minis for? What do you get that you don't get in the board game? Just outside battles?

Great question! Basically I agree with your chain of thought I think RECON is a really great design and there's definitely no need to go to Tabletop just to get a satisfying MERCS game. There are however a few things that make the idea of combining the two attractive to me.

- I love narrative in games and Would like to make use of the rich background in Mercs outside of the office environment

- I used to play tabletop mini's games so the thought of having a small manageable one that's fun is quite attractive

- I love how the tactics in Recon combine positioning, movement, and priority, often over straight combat. As an alternative however it's sometimes nice to get back to a game where flanking, over watch, and suppression are the keys for a nice change of pace.

- I find it quite enjoyable to see how the different units are modeled and mirrored under each system. It's interesting to see how the ideas stay the same but the implementation changes and there's a comfort when you change systems but still have an idea how a unit is meant to be used. (The Texico dog in Recon is great )

None of this adds up to justifying this to anyone but me. (All the points above start with I.... ) and I fully expect to be playing a lot more RECON than 2.0. When I fancy a change of pace however I'll try and throw in some Tabletop if I can find a way that I enjoy of combining the narrative of both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I've got the Mercs 2.0 book and cards but have never played the tabletop game. I don't really have any terrain at home (though my local game store has some used for Warhammer I could probably adapt). However the problem is I really LIKE the board game. It's unique, it comes with it's own ever changing terrain, and there is a good solitaire option. I watched a couple of games played on YouTube and thought it was an interesting system, but it didn't seem that much of a draw compared to the board game.

That said the 2.0 book is beautiful and it's been very helpful in painting the minis because of it's great art. That alone makes it worth buying as well as the background on the world and the short story (which feeds to the novel which is also good).

Glad to hear you like Recon.
I too am thinking about getting into the Recon boardgame and quiet possibly the 2.0 table top game. I am still waiting for a youtube video of 2.0 gameplay before proceeding.

Regarding terrain. Go on amazon and look up Infinity Scenery. Basically its a full map with 3d terrain for $15 each. And its a manageable table size. Basically $15 gives you everything you need for terrain. Makes getting into tabletop minis a lot more easier and attractive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Regarding terrain. Go on amazon and look up Infinity Scenery. Basically its a full map with 3d terrain for $15 each. And its a manageable table size. Basically $15 gives you everything you need for terrain. Makes getting into tabletop minis a lot more easier and attractive.

Just to clear up any potential confusion, he's talking specifically about the Terrain Packs made by Corvus Belli. B/c "Infinity Scenery" is gonna return a hella lot more results than just those and those will get expensive! laugh

If you search for "Infinity Scenery Pack" on someplace like Miniature Market you'll find the exact 3 packs CB makes for less than $10USD each.

And I have to agree, if you're just starting out, these are great. You get a 2'x3' map and enough crates and buildings to cover the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
I am still waiting for a youtube video of 2.0 gameplay before proceeding.

If you're familiar w/the old MERCS, there's really not a lot of changes that affect the core mechanics. There is a section in the front of the 2.0 rule book that outlines the differences. I don't have mine handy, but these are the big ones that I remember:

1) You still use the same notched movement template, but now in addition to moving to one of the 3 notches, a model can also move to any spot inside of the card's edges. So you can move half a card length now if you choose.

2) MERCS now have a new stat that allows them to adjust their Init die. FREX you roll a 3 for a MERC with an Init Mod of 1: you can change the die to a 2 or a 4, or leave it at 3.

3) Elevation Levels have changed. An EL is now equal to 1 card width, and all models (including the Behemoth) are now only 1 EL tall.

4) Firing numbers have been lowered slightly to make the game go faster.

5) Flanking - you now get the -1 Flanking bonus any time you shoot a target from their side. The requirement that they be engaged in Melee has been removed.

6) Ranges - "Medium" was added to the ranges, with a -1 mod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.