Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In an update Sandy writes:

Quote:
when we finally add the Moon faction, then the Lunar Cycle comes into play. It has four settings – Dying, Full Half, Empty Half, and Full.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/the-gods-war...

Why are the moon phases named "Full Half" and "Empty Half"? Those names sound incredibly silly to me. Do they mean something very specific in the Glorantha universe?

Why not "Waxing" and "Waning" - or "Crescent" and "Gibbous"? Both of those pairs sound much better IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the names that have been used for forty years now, going back to (at least my copy of) White Bear, Red Moon. No idea what the origin is, but suspect it isn't going to change now...

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Red moon in Glorantha doesn't have a crescent or gibbous phase, it really is half red and half black on those phases. This is because the Moon sits in the Upper Air, changing colour over 7 day cycles to show the rise and fall in the power of the Red Goddess, who is linked to Time. The change of phase isn't caused by the Sun casting a shadow...

EDIT: Sorry what I mean is that while it has crescents, they aren't caused by illumination (Glorantha joke). It used to be that the Red moon rotated every 7 days, turning from red to black and back again. I'm not sure in the current lore if it still rotates or not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
SpectrumDT wrote:

Why are the moon phases named "Full Half" and "Empty Half"? Those names sound incredibly silly to me. Do they mean something very specific in the Glorantha universe?

Yes they do. Glorantha is a flat world and the sky dome is called that way because it is an actual dome. This is why you can climb up the sky dome when you walk at the edge of the map. As for the Red Moon she is not in the sky, but float in the middle air. Her phases have nothing to do with reflecting the light of the sun. She just has a black side and a red side and she rotate on herself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, so they refer to something Glorantha-specific. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
OK, so they refer to something Glorantha-specific. Thanks.

Sedenya forgives you, and in her mercy, grants you only five years in Danfive Xarion's Legions of Penitence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.