Popular Tags: [View All]
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm considering backing either henchmania or island of monsters..
Can't find much info on neither.
Anybody got info to share??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No info -> red flag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Ver weg van blijven als er geen BGG thread over bestaat of er nauwelijks info is op de KS page .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atzerath wrote:
Hi,
Anybody got info to share??

Are you interested in information about the games or the publishers? Mayday Games is pretty transparant about all of their kickstarters, so I'm pretty sure you will get what you pay for. I don't know Jocus, but the game looks really pretty. I have no idea about the games themselves, but both games have a rulebook available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atzerath wrote:

You know this sounds like "I have no idea what they are, but I want to back them.", which immediately leads to the question: Why do you want to back them, if you have no idea what they are?

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henchmania (which I've backed) has an extensive Kickstarter page with instructions on how the game plays right on the page. Undead Viking (I know, I know Load) has a review. The game has it's own Facebook page. It also has it's own website with separate pages for things such as game elements, cards, RULES!, and Print and Play files. Not sure what else you would be looking for.

https://henchmania.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
atzerath wrote:

You know this sounds like "I have no idea what they are, but I want to back them.", which immediately leads to the question: Why do you want to back them, if you have no idea what they are?

Bye
Thanee

Solid argumentation, subsequently I'll back neither.
Thx guys!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Henchmania (which I've backed) has an extensive Kickstarter page with instructions on how the game plays right on the page. Undead Viking (I know, I know Load) has a review. The game has it's own Facebook page. It also has it's own website with separate pages for things such as game elements, cards, RULES!, and Print and Play files. Not sure what else you would be looking for.

What doesn't UV have a review for? That is more of a turn off than anything else. But, the game does look like it is something real. As mentioned above, there are rules available, which seems increasingly rare on KS. As it has no appeal to me, I have not delved further, that is all I can say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:

What doesn't UV have a review for?

Game reviews he didn't get paid for of course - is this a trick question ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
texascpa wrote:

What doesn't UV have a review for? That is more of a turn off than anything else. But, the game does look like it is something real. As mentioned above, there are rules available, which seems increasingly rare on KS. As it has no appeal to me, I have not delved further, that is all I can say.

Fine, remove UV from my post. There is still enough that the OP should get a pretty good sense of the game and it's designers. I'm still not sure what else the OP would want - a playthrough from Rahdo and all of his errors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
texascpa wrote:
I'm still not sure what else the OP would want - a playthrough from Rahdo and all of his errors?

Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan M.
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
2GM Tactics (2 world war wargame) With expansions is ending in 2 days with a lot of strech goals, we need to unlock the last ones!

Is of a serious editor with 2 games funded with crowfunding.

You can take a look of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atzerath wrote:
Thanee wrote:
atzerath wrote:

Bye
Thanee

Solid argumentation, subsequently I'll back neither.
Thx guys!!

Mayday games is a solid company. I've back 3 projects of theirs, the first being AssassinCon which delivered more or less on time. I believe it was slated as a July 2016 delivery and I got it in early August 2016. The games they produce tend to be on the light side in terms of complexity. I've also backed their Oliver Twist game and Nerdy Inventions. I thought about backing Isle of Monsters but I just moved so need to watch the spending a bit closer.

I know nothing of Henchmania or its publisher. Which is not to say anything good or bad, just that I don't have any knowledge about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
texascpa wrote:
I'm still not sure what else the OP would want - a playthrough from Rahdo and all of his errors?

Ouch!

Seriously, you know there are real people on the other side of your computer screen right?

I like both of reviewers mentioned. They provide me with a valuable service and if they can make a few bucks doing it, good for them.

While I respect his opinion, watching Rahdo play a game gives me a better idea of whether I will like it or not than any review could. So what if he makes a few rules errors? Don't we all? And they normally get pointed out and acknowledged in the comments, don't they? Learning to play isn't really the intent of his videos anyway, though they certainly are helpful in that respect.

Best part? It doesn't cost me a penny. That buys them a lot of leeway in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday is notorious for kickstarter woes. They're months late delivering on almost every project, post frequent updates about currently funding campaigns meanwhile ignoring requests for updates from backers wondering when overdue projects will deliver, and (in the US, at least) often deliver incorrect, incomplete, or damaged goods, and their infrequent updates typically consist of "it's not our fault" excuses. I'd steer clear. If the games are good, they'll be available in retail.

Can't speak about Henchmania's publisher, as it appears to be their first project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingbat Meeplepusher wrote:
Mayday is notorious for kickstarter woes. They're months late delivering on almost every project, post frequent updates about currently funding campaigns meanwhile ignoring requests for updates from backers wondering when overdue projects will deliver, and (in the US, at least) often deliver incorrect, incomplete, or damaged goods, and their infrequent updates typically consist of "it's not our fault" excuses. I'd steer clear. If the games are good, they'll be available in retail.

Can't speak about Henchmania's publisher, as it appears to be their first project.

You kind of contradict yourself there....

"...post frequent updates about currently funding campaigns..."

and then just a few lines later

"...their infrequent updates typically consist of...."

As a backer of 3 of their games, I've not seen any of the above with Mayday. AssassinCon delivered pretty much on time and in perfect condition . I'm waiting on 2 other games, one of which is due in December 2016 and the other which just ended and is due in January 2017. Updates are about once a week stating where they are in the process. They do promote ongoing campaigns in their updates but all of the publishers do this. I've direct messaged the owner, Seth, and he responds within a day or two.

I'm not a backer on Isle of Monsters though as I'm trying to curb my extraneous spending in light of a move.

Sounds more like you just had a bad experience with them.

EDIT: When I looked it up AssassinCon actually delivered 1-2 months late. Was slated for June delivery and arrived in early August. Which I will add, is not a big deal in the world of Kickstarter. Compare to CMON's The Others which was slated for a March delivery and still has not arrived (though in fairness the campaign is in the process of being fulfilled with many backers having received their pledges).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:
texascpa wrote:

Ouch!

Seriously, you know there are real people on the other side of your computer screen right?

I like both of reviewers mentioned. They provide me with a valuable service and if they can make a few bucks doing it, good for them.

While I respect his opinion, watching Rahdo play a game gives me a better idea of whether I will like it or not than any review could. So what if he makes a few rules errors? Don't we all? And they normally get pointed out and acknowledged in the comments, don't they? Learning to play isn't really the intent of his videos anyway, though they certainly are helpful in that respect.

Best part? It doesn't cost me a penny. That buys them a lot of leeway in my opinion.

Rahdo doesn't actually make money for his reviews. He runs an annual Kickstarter in the Spring which allows him to upgrade equipment and improve his "show". He does not do sponsorships at all because he feels that would bias his opinion.

UV on the other hand does accept money from publishers to provide previews. I understand however, that he does not accept funds to do a review of a game.

I am personally a fan of Rahdo's reviews as compared with UV. I don't really watch the play through but rather just skip to his final thoughts. Now, that said, Rahdo also does not provide reviews for games that he doesn't like as he feels it'd be a waste of time and generally isn't a problem anyway as he won't consider games for review that he doesn't anticipate liking.

Not that this changes anything above, but just to add a bit more perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
Gamer_Dog wrote:
texascpa wrote:

Ouch!

The tongue emoticon was to show the comment was in jest. Rahdo will be the first to tell you he makes lots of errors. I don't blame him just based on the sheer number of games he plays. I'm a subscriber to his channel and hit his videos up at least twice a week, errors and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
You kind of contradict yourself there....

"...post frequent updates about currently funding campaigns..."

and then just a few lines later

"...their infrequent updates typically consist of...."

As a backer of 3 of their games, I've not seen any of the above with Mayday. AssassinCon delivered pretty much on time and in perfect condition . I'm waiting on 2 other games, one of which is due in December 2016 and the other which just ended and is due in January 2017. Updates are about once a week stating where they are in the process. They do promote ongoing campaigns in their updates but all of the publishers do this. I've direct messaged the owner, Seth, and he responds within a day or two.

I'm not a backer on Isle of Monsters though as I'm trying to curb my extraneous spending in light of a move.

Sounds more like you just had a bad experience with them.

EDIT: When I looked it up AssassinCon actually delivered 1-2 months late. Was slated for June delivery and arrived in early August. Which I will add, is not a big deal in the world of Kickstarter. Compare to CMON's The Others which was slated for a March delivery and still has not arrived (though in fairness the campaign is in the process of being fulfilled with many backers having received their pledges).

They post frequent updates and respond promptly to comments and questions on campaigns currently in the funding period. But while those campaigns are in funding and getting tons of attention from the company, questions and comments on previously funded campaigns go unanswered. When asked why they are not responding, they say they're understaffed to support kickstarter. Check comments on Viceroy, Click Clack Lumberjack, Captain Carcass, etc.

Yes, I did have a bad experience. A couple bad experiences. So had people from campaigns prior to mine. I wish I knew before I backed that it's par for the course from Mayday. Hence my comment.

I'm glad you got AssassinCon only two months late. I hope your others come in even quicker than that. Maybe if they start delivering on time, they'll be able to catch up on the the people still waiting a year later for replacements for their damaged Viceroy shipments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't read the last posts but felt like I should chime in seeing how it's my post.

Dice tower reviews.

Just because I'm curious what'll happen next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.