Popular Tags: tournament [+] [View All]
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ho,

Just a quick note to let you all know the world's first War on Terror, the boardgame Tournament is taking place on 28-29 April in LA at Meltdown Comics - http://www.meltcomics.com/

If you want to be part of this historic event, just sign up at the War on Terror Tournament Website: http://www.gamblersruin.com/WOTT/

We've got some very cool and unique prizes to give away, including original artwork and the TerrorBull team will be there, plus the illustrator of the game so hope to see some of you there.

Cheers,
Andrew

http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/

P.S. If anyone has experience of holding tournaments, we don't - so advice/tips/general words of encouragement are all welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the name of God put a time limit with sudden death (uh oh) victory conditions on the rounds. Otherwise there is a very real chance some players will be carried off by old age before they get to a resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how such a tournament can work in a game where multiple people can win the game together, and it's fairly easy to switch sides at the last minute to make sure you join the winning team.

(as an aside, I ran War of Terror at the Gathering, and we had a glorious time. Great job!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so I'm curious like Scott....how would you and did u run the tournament??? How do you rank it if multiple terrorists win a game? And did you have any house rules to keep this scenario from happening: person who goes second goes terrorist the second round AND all players following him/her in the round do the same...this seems like a "broken" strategy that would guarantee quick wins for the terrorists....Illuminate me plz oh might Terror Bull or just tell me to have a Foster's and chill mate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose silva
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that too. I dont know how they did, but it could work the following way, almost like the points given in a soccer tournament:

Win as an empire: 3 points
Win as a terrorist or world peace : 1 point each
Loss (either as terrorist or as empire) : no points

Multiple games should have been played and the person with most points would win the tournament

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your interest in how we ran a tournament of War on Terror.

It was, to be honest, a daunting task. And I'm not sure we would have had the initiative (or guts) to do it ourselves.

First off, we decided upon a points system. You could do a fixed points system, whereby the winner gets 5, the runner up gets 3 and the next player(s) 1 or whatever, but we wanted to reflect the fact that some games are hard fought and some victories are better than others. So we decided that everyone takes from the game the amount of points they finish with. To discourage sudden terrorist wins and multiple people getting loads of terrorist points, we decided that terrorists must divide their points between the number of terrorist players there are at the end of the game.

Additionally, we awarded +2 points for the winning player and then +3 points for every additional game played over the weekend. This was a bit of a guess, but we found that it was about right. +3 points as an incentive to play another game seemed to outweigh the risk of diluting your average total. It also meant that people tried to play as quickly as possible and the tournament was as much about endurance as it was about playing skill (which we felt was quite fitting).

So, at the end of the tournament, you have a list of names with points from each game. Add them up, divide by the number of games played and you have an average and final points score.

We've tried to cover these rules here: http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/rules/ but we're going to work on putting together a "tournament pack" to easily enable others to organise their own.

We found these rules worked pretty well, mainly because the actual players - most of whom were new to the game - didn't have to be told any 'extra' rules. All we told people is:
i) you get more points, the more games you play
ii) you dilute your points as multiple terrorist players, so don't turn too easily

It was a great weekend, lots of fun and very eventful. We did have contingency rules about 'unfinished games' and how to score them, which I can't properly recall but we never had to use them - amazingly all games finished.

So there you have it. War on Terror, the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.