Popular Tags: [View All]
Francesco Meucci
Italy
Guasticce
Livorno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody, I'm not sure if this question has already been asked.
I checked the tons of threads and cannot find it.
During a combat, if Dracula's combat card causes the hunter's defeat, does the combat immediately end?
In other words: does the hunter's combat card take its effect or not?
Thank you very much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kikki wrote:
Hello everybody, I'm not sure if this question has already been asked.
I checked the tons of threads and cannot find it.
During a combat, if Dracula's combat card causes the hunter's defeat, does the combat immediately end?
In other words: does the hunter's combat card take its effect or not?
Thank you very much in advance!

It is not entirely clear from the rules, but I believe the answer is that the hunter's card does not take effect.

When a hunter is defeated their figure is removed from the board, so they are no longer in the combat and I don't see why their card should have any effect.

This is also supported by the fact that in a 1 on 1 combat, it is explicitly stated that if the single hunter is defeated then combat ends immediately without their card having effect. I don't see why it should be any different when one of a number of hunters is defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure, combat ends immediately, Hunter's card doesn't get resolved.
ONE problem, however, would be the Garlic Wreath. I never found the answer and got tired of asking. I houseruled it thematically as Yes, if Dracula still bites he has to suffer the 4 damage of the garlic necklace if hunter was NOT mesmerized, if he died of DAMAGE ("..after you suffer damage ..."!).
If he was mesmerized he gets bitten INSTEAD, so Vampire does not suffer damage taken cardtext literally. In that case I immediately remove Hunter from combat without triggering Garlic Wreath (thematically Dracula made the hunter take off the necklace first with his hypnotzing eyes ...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
androner lcoyn
msg tools
Hello,

From rules reference page 5

5. Resolve Dracula’s Effect:

"If all hunters in the combat are defeated after Dracula resolves his
revealed card’s effect, the combat immediately ends."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
androner wrote:
"If all hunters in the combat are defeated after Dracula resolves his revealed card’s effect, the combat immediately ends."

Yes. If "all" = 1, then this is clear.

The question is what happens if there is more than one hunter and not all of them are defeated. If hunter A is defeated, but hunter B is still around, obviously the combat does not end immediately. So, does defeated-A's card resolve?

The rules don't say. The inference is that since his card would be cancelled if he was the last hunter when defeated, it would be canceled for any defeated hunter.

If FFG had wanted to communicate this, they might have written something like this:
"If a hunter in combat is defeated after Dracula resolves his revealed card's effect, that hunter is removed from combat and any pending effects from that hunter's played cards are cancelled. If no undefeated hunters remain in that fight, the combat ends immediately."

But they didn't write that, so we have to extrapolate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.