Hide
10 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Killing a zombie next to a Raxxon zombie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fekete József
msg tools
The rulebook says you can only kill a raxxon zombie with regular attack, and the raxxon zombie must targeted first.

But what about the grenade launcher and other weapons that don't say attack in their description and the survivor abilities that don't require an attack? They can kill one or more regular zombies on the same location where already stand a raxxon zombie?

We played that way last night with two player, and the game was super easy. We had some place with 2-3 raxxon zombies but we never had to fight them, because we was able to snipe the regular zombies next to them with weapons books and abilities that doesn’t say attack on their description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grenade launcher and survivor abilities are not "normal" attacks.

However, if I had a weapon (pistol, assault rifle) then I could attack with those to avoid exposure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fekete József
msg tools
So if there are 2 regular and 1 reaper zombie at the police station, than I can kill the 2 regular with a grenade launcher? Because it is not a normal attack right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fekete123 wrote:
So if there are 2 regular and 1 reaper zombie at the police station, than I can kill the 2 regular with a grenade launcher? Because it is not a normal attack right?

That's the way I would play it.

Think of it as the Raxxon Zombie being smarter and being better hidden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. Interesting comment. Honestly, I think the intent of the raxxon zombie rule would mean you couldn't use the grenade launcher at a location where there is a super zombie. Otherwise, the game could be insanely easy as you could just ignore the super zombies and use special abilities to maintain zombies. Which is what you did.

I think regardless of how you get rid of the zombies, if you have a super zombie at your location, you can't confront the other zombies at all until the super-zombie is dealt with.

But I guess that begs the question, since sniper and grenade launcher can be used to get rid of zombies in locations you are NOT at, does it get around the rule. Honestly, I hope not, but I suspect the answer is yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it was weird that special zombies can only be killed using regular attacks. Doesn't it seem like regular attacks wouldn't hurt them and the only way to bring them down would be use something other than a regular attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook says, "When performing an attack, you must target a special zombie before you may target a standard zombie, survivor, or bandit if the survivor you are attacking with shares a location with a special zombie." (my emphasis)

So I would agree that if your survivor is in the Library with no special zombies and there is a group of standard and special zombies in the Police Station, you could shoot at the standard zombies with a weapon like a sniper rifle.

But the main question is what if you're at the Police Station with the mix of zombies and you want to use your Grenade Launcher? Grenade Launcher says, "EQUIP: Once per round you may kill 2 zombies at any non-colony location. Do not roll for exposure. Destroy all barricades and explosive trap tokens at that location."

Maybe if we knew more about the thematic reasoning behind the rule that says you have to target special zombies before standard zombies, we could figure this out. Like, is it because the survivor is so freaked out that they don't even really realize that the standard zombies are there? If that's the thematic reason, then I would say they can't use the grenade launcher. In that situation, they just jump on the special zombie and attack it with their bare hands, blocking everything else out of their mind.

Does anyone know what Plaid Hat's actual thematic reason is that survivors have to attack special zombies before standard zombies in their location? Jon Gilmour, do you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed the raxxon zombies are just super deadly and dangerous and you want to keep them contained. They wouldn't be much of a threat if you could just ignore them all game or if you could quickly and easily dispatch them with a sniper rifle.

Forcing players to attack directly means it costs you a dice and you may not even kill it. Plus it forces you to confront them if you want to avoid over runs. So they really are scary. Also, the thematic story of how you fight the raxxon zombies wouldn't make sense if you could just snipe or grenade them like normal.

*edit* How about the fact that zombies are usually pretty stupid and are only really a threat in large numbers. However the new raxxon Zombies are much smarter and more aggressive. They are much more actively trying to hunt the players instead of just blindly walking around and banging on walls. So you can run away or search quietly, but if there is going to be a fight it's going to be with one of the super-zombies that are out there looking for you. And while they can't be killed without a direct confrontation and major fight (because they are much sneakier and hiding as they hunt you) that doesn't mean a sniper off in the distance somewhere can't thin out the heard of zombies just hanging around. Also, without trying to spoil anything, the "story" associated with the special zombie fights seems to imply these are zombies that blend in, are hiding or just seem to show up out of nowhere and you aren't expecting them. So the fight is much more of a surprise or something you stumble on (not unlike the principle behind crossroad cards) than just having these guys hanging around outside like the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Maybe if we knew more about the thematic reasoning behind the rule that says you have to target special zombies before standard zombies, we could figure this out. Like, is it because the survivor is so freaked out that they don't even really realize that the standard zombies are there?

How about this : Perhaps they are smarter and can compel the other zombies by their simple presence, so that normal zombies are harder to spot and destroy. It's only after the raxxon zombie is eliminated that zombies again behave like mindless drones and become easier to kill and snipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The specials can't be killed from a safe distance for the same reason that you've got a new crisis every day like clockwork: The fates are conspiring to give you an "interesting" life.

If you want a more thematic rationale, just imagine that specials can't be recognized from a distance, so snipers don't know they should be targeting them. It's just "luck" that they "randomly" choose a normal zombie as their target.

When breaking cover to use a normal attack against zombies at a character's location, the specials push their way to the front of the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.