Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we're still a little way out, but I was surprised and a little disappointed to see a lack of Medium Heavy or Heavy Euros on Eric's Essen Preview list.

So I think we have -

NEW:

Brasil - What's Your Game?
Solarius Mission - Spielworxx

REPRINT:

The Great Zimbabwe (Reprint) - Splotter

Have I missed them? Are people holding back on announcing things? Or is this a developing trend where the heavier games are fewer and further between?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ion Iovan Arthur Codrut
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few heavy and medium euros that are not yet listed in the Essen Preview. They will appear at this year's Spiel,though. Some of the more important titles are:
A Feast for Odin
The Oracle of Delphi
Great Western Trail
The Colonists

You can find some interesting information on this aggregate list from the Essen 2016 colection of lists - http://plind.dk/downloads/essen2016.pdf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment there are 'only' about 300 games on the list it's due to reach 7-800 this year so there is a good chance something heavier will pop up later.

Last year it looked that there wasn't much to interest me and then a few weeks before the show loads of new games turned up on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything's not yet on the list and I wouldn't say something is more "important" because of a big name publisher / designer.

The Arrival
Ave Roma
Feudalia
The Flow of History
A Handful of Stars
Mea Culpa
Saami
Sails to Steam
The Sands of Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition :

Bunny Kingdom - uh, I meant Pax Renaissance
Captains of the Golden Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant believe I missed Odin! Yes, that counts.

Colonists could go either way.

I think the point is that there seems to be a tonne of Thematic games or Hybrids which fit that Medium / Med-Light sweet spot that so many people enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigshowfan wrote:

I think the point is that there seems to be a tonne of Thematic games or Hybrids which fit that Medium / Med-Light sweet spot that so many people enjoy.

But hasn't that always been the case ? Heavy euro games were always a minority - I dug up my check-list for Spiel 2012 and this were the heavy euro games :

Tzolkin
Great Zimbabwe
Vinhos
Terra Mystica (IRL a 2013 game except for the lucky few)

If you get half a dozen decent heavy euro's it's a good year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moody
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I see lots of heavy Euros, as is par for the course for Essen. I'm not particularly thrilled by them either. Last year's Essen had a fine selection for us thematic gamers. Things are looking bleak for '16!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MoodyPhilips wrote:
I see lots of heavy Euros, as is par for the course for Essen. I'm not particularly thrilled by them either. Last year's Essen had a fine selection for us thematic gamers. Things are looking bleak for '16!

I think your definition of "heavy" might be slightly different from what is talked about in this thread

Personally I'm glad Essen isn't overrun yet by KrapStarter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have been curious about this, though I'm mostly just keeping eyes on the games and waiting for them to make it over here to the US. And like many others here I really only ever expect a small handful of games to really hit that niche. But there are the requisite few. The ones mentioned that I've been most interested in personally have been Brasil and Great Western Trail, but I'm definitely looking for more information about Feast for Odin, Solarius, and The Colonists, and if I can manage to get Great Zimbabwe I'd love to give it a try.

arthuriovan wrote:
The Oracle of Delphi

Your other three all seem like solid ones, so I don't mean to single this out or anything, but having read the rulebook this looks to be more in the lighter direction. Maybe safely medium, but probably not much higher. I'm still curious about it, but I do wish Feld would make another Trajan or Bora Bora style game rather than spend so much time with these medium weight high luck games. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably play it, and even probably like it enough, but I'd be surprised if I loved it.

juuzzom wrote:
Everything's not yet on the list and I wouldn't say something is more "important" because of a big name publisher / designer.

The Arrival
Ave Roma
Feudalia
The Flow of History
A Handful of Stars
Mea Culpa
Saami
Sails to Steam
The Sands of Time

This is an interesting list, full of mostly games I haven't heard of at all. Thanks for pointing them out, I'll have to do some research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
if I can manage to get Great Zimbabwe I'd love to give it a try.

Personally, I don't think The Great Zimbabwe is very heavy. In my memory (played only a couple games some time ago) it's on the medium side but very streamlined and well done.
If they've got copies with them at Essen, I'll definitely buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
jblomquist wrote:

Personally, I don't think The Great Zimbabwe is very heavy. In my memory (played only a couple games some time ago) it's on the medium side but very streamlined and well done.

From what I've heard they'll have copies of the new print of The Great Zimbabwe and Food Chain Magnate (4th printing ?) with them. 75 euro each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Heavy by weight, A feast for Odin takes the cake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
jblomquist wrote:

I was one of your co-players and I agree, it's not a very heavy game. It's good and we really enjoyed it a couple of times, but I would rather call it medium heavy as well. Roughly around that time we gave Zhanguo and Nippon a try, I would same they're equally (medium) heavy.
I while later we put Madeira at our table. Thàt was heavy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moody
Switzerland
flag msg tools
eddy_sterckx wrote:
MoodyPhilips wrote:

I think your definition of "heavy" might be slightly different from what is talked about in this thread

Personally I'm glad Essen isn't overrun yet by KrapStarter games.

Ha, ha! Kind of a snarky response to my simple words of encouragement.

My definition of a heavy Euro is anything over 3.50, and there will plenty of them. If you are thinking High Frontier weight then good luck with that! You are in the minority if you think a 3.50 isn't fairly heavy.

As far as your "Krapstarter" comment goes...that is pure elitist nonsense. I didn't mention KS games at all. I mentioned the lack of fun themes. Last year, the Geek preview was booming with groovy themes. This year, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm, looking at the stats there aren't really any true 'heavy' games (4.5 and above). That throne is occupied solely by wargames. There are only 'medium heavy' euro games. Even among 4.0-4.5 there aren't that many, save for a few of the best known like Mage Knight, Kingdom Death Monster or TTA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MoodyPhilips wrote:
. If you are thinking High Frontier weight then good luck with that! You are in the minority if you think a 3.50 isn't fairly heavy.

I agree, personally I also like medium level games a bit more, but the purpose of this thread was clearly to identify the heavy euro's - heavy as in comparable to Brasil and Solarius Mission.

MoodyPhilips wrote:
As far as your "Krapstarter" comment goes...that is pure elitist nonsense.

You say elitist nonsense, I say the voice of experience.

MoodyPhilips wrote:
I didn't mention KS games at all. I mentioned the lack of fun themes. Last year, the Geek preview was booming with groovy themes. This year, not so much.

Depends on what you call groovy - from my list of "must check out"

Flamme Rouge - a bicycle racing game - let's see if it can de-throne Um Reifenbreite
Dragonsgate College - from the guys who brought us Yedo which was groovy enough for me
Motion Pictures - a worthy successor to the aging Die Traumfabrik ?
Beer Empire - beer - 'nuff said
Codinca - a KrapStarter no less - but one I'll check out
The Dragon & Flagon - a tavern brawl party game designed by the Engelsteins - I'm in.

Far from being elitist I'm looking for solid game designs - in all categories - and the reality is that on KrapStarter they're few and far between given the largely inexperienced designers, meager game development work and if you're extremely lucky some playtesting outside the designer's circle of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Dragonsgate College coming out this year? I havent heard anything about it since it was announced shortly after Essen last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
startrouble wrote:
Is Dragonsgate College coming out this year? I havent heard anything about it since it was announced shortly after Essen last year.

Doubtful - but as we run into the designers every year, I'm counting on getting a sneak peak at whatever level of prototype they have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking if I'd missed anything. I would be very interested in your thoughts if you do manage to see the prototype though please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chessher
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
check out Guilds Of London...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I waiting for What's Your Game? is going to put out this year.

Railroad Revolution? Brasil?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Hm, looking at the stats there aren't really any true 'heavy' games (4.5 and above). That throne is occupied solely by wargames. There are only 'medium heavy' euro games. Even among 4.0-4.5 there aren't that many, save for a few of the best known like Mage Knight, Kingdom Death Monster or TTA.

Kingdom Death heavy; that dice roller! It maybe dark and heavy in theme but that is about all. It has the mechanical complexity of monopoly.

I think when we are talking about heavy you need to look at games like the 18XX series, Arkwright, Greed incorporated, Kanban, Die Macher and Here I Stand. There are a lot of heavy games in the data base which are not war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy Cardboard 2016 Anticipation List! While not entirely Essen-focused, when I update it this weekend, it will have a considerably heavier Essen slant to it (esp since I'm going this year)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.