BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Origins 2017 hotels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question about hotels next year. The blocks for hotels open in Sept, but I happened to look now at the Hyatt, and there are none available. When the blocks open in Sept, do more rooms become available as well, or are they gone next year already? I remember getting my room at the Hyatt last year in Oct, and plenty were available at the time, just wondering if this is the norm. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"A bloody nose, empty pockets, rented car with a trunk full of guns... Check out time is sundown in Las Vegas, but it only rises once..."
badge
Fox by Kyle Ferrin for the game Root (gif by BeckyTokens)
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the blocks have already been reserved (by Origins or the hotel for Origins) is all.

edit: clarified an ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins buys out blocks of rooms months if not a year or two in advance. The hotel then sets those rooms aside as sold so that Hyatt or your hotel of choice, knows these rooms are not available for that time period. Once the Origins registration opens, you can book through Origins.

I suspect also, that the hotels have a max time frame for how early you can book a room. As last year you booked in October, you may have just been within the appropriate time frame.

EDIT: Deleted the quote. No idea why I quoted. Certainly didn't intend to.

EDIT 2: I just did a room search through Hyatt and received this: "The hotel is not available for your requested travel dates. It is either sold out or not yet open for reservations" (Emphasis mine).

I suspect the latter is the issue. I tried 2 weeks after the Origins week and received the same prompt. Going 2 weeks prior though and there are rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
At most of the connected hotels the block is so large they don't have any other reservations than the block rate or platinum members who call a special line.

When hotel registration goes live you will book the hotel through the passkey portal which is connected to that block on the website or by calling them and they will look up the special origins rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the info. I was thinking along those lines, but wanted to get some feedback from others...much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious, I take it if you're driving, you can still get cheap and ample rooms if you drive up to half on hour out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many cheap hotels further out. I took a buddy and we stayed in Worthington which was only about a 10-12 minute drive each morning and evening. I stayed with hotel points which is the only way I could even do it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Curious, I take it if you're driving, you can still get cheap and ample rooms if you drive up to half on hour out?

You could, but part of the charm about Origins you can stay at a hotel built into the convention center or one directly across the street for a reasonable price with little stress. Block rates were only $145-$150 a night last year compared to $217 at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

You could, but part of the charm about Origins you can stay at a hotel built into the convention center or one directly across the street for a reasonable price with little stress. Block rates were only $145-$150 a night last year compared to $217 at GenCon.
I've had fun staying in hotels where you can just go downstairs and game.

However, this can still be a fallback for people who couldn't get into the block. Plus, in some cases, rooms have been as cheap as $80 on the outskirts where the con is. Even after parking, you're still coming out ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoggle wrote:
Just a question about hotels next year. The blocks for hotels open in Sept, but I happened to look now at the Hyatt, and there are none available. When the blocks open in Sept, do more rooms become available as well, or are they gone next year already? I remember getting my room at the Hyatt last year in Oct, and plenty were available at the time, just wondering if this is the norm. Thanks!

Per the official Origins Facebook: "I checked with the staff who handle the hotels, and they said the Hyatt is holding the hotel block until Sept. 1. So when you call on the 1st, that availability will open up for our dates. I hope that helps!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hampton across the street was nice. Free breakfast, too. Right across from the exhibit hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
The Hampton across the street was nice. Free breakfast, too. Right across from the exhibit hall.

I second this. Unfortunately, I won't be going to Origins this year, but this is, IMO, the best hotel for board gamers at origins. I stayed there in 2016. It's right across the street, and the entry is right next to registration, the exhibit hall, and the board game area. The North Market is also right next door. The attached hotels are actually a further walk to the exhibit hall!

If you are an RPG player, though, try to get the attached Hyatt. Its right in the middle of the RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheryl Nantus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note of caution for those who may think about waiting and waiting - once again the Pride Festival will be happening over the same time, so waiting too long might get you no rooms at all. I'd suggest that if you do think you'll be going, grab a room when the blocks come live in September.

It's a pain to have to think about it so far ahead, but the hotels are going to make as much as they can out of the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"A bloody nose, empty pockets, rented car with a trunk full of guns... Check out time is sundown in Las Vegas, but it only rises once..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheryl Nantus wrote:
once again the Pride Festival will be happening over the same time

that was allsum this past year. thank you for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an e-mail reminder from GAMA that the Origins 2017 Hotel Block releases tomorrow, September 1.

New 2017 Rates are up and appears to be the same as 2016 rates.

http://originsgamefair.com/hotels/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to have an Origins badge purchased before hand like you do at GenCon? Or do you just call the Hotel and say, "Hey! I want a room for these dates while I am attending Origins."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
Do you have to have an Origins badge purchased before hand like you do at GenCon? Or do you just call the Hotel and say, "Hey! I want a room for these dates while I am attending Origins."?

just call and say "I'm coming for Origins". There is a code for each hotel posted on the website.

I don't think some of the 2017 rates have been posted or updated yet, but I'm not expecting any radical changes from last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This will be my first Origins, so learning the ropes as I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the hyatt will have a link to a passkey registration if you prefer online over calling. Some of the others work as well online, but it is hit and miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:

Whelp, I've already started a FAQs post for Origins. There's a fair amount of information already there, but there'll much more added in the coming months. I've also started a Geeklist as many find the format easier to navigate.

The Origins 2017 FAQs Post
The Origins 2017 FAQs Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:

Whelp, I've already started a FAQs post for Origins. There's a fair amount of information already there, but there'll much more added in the coming months. I've also started a Geeklist as many find the format easier to navigate.

The Origins 2017 FAQs Post
The Origins 2017 FAQs Geeklist

Thanks! Those are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocks not open as of 12:15 AM EDT September 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
United States
Edenton
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocks are open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
croooooow wrote:
Blocks are open.

Neither of the Hilton group hotels are returning any yet.

They did update the hotel page this morning for group codes.

edit: blanking on the Hyatt. I don't think any of the online portals have released them. Did you call in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gedeon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codes are up, but nothing works. Hyatt shows no rooms when entering group#, and called Hilton, and they said group block is not open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.