Bruce Mason
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graham Robinson in a session report said something I completely agree with:

Quote:
My biggest gripe is the names. Playing with "Hell Mother", "Storm King", and "Sun God" is like playing Cthulhu Wars with "Tentacle Face", "Big Tongue", and "Mr Blobby". I hope that Kyger Litor, Orlanth, and Yelm will be reinstated to their proper place for the finished game. By all means, include the titles (**) for those who want to use them, but the names are part of Glorantha, and de-empasising them makes the game a little bit too generic for my taste. If Cthulhu Wars can cope with using the real names, so can Gods War.

Using generic terms rather than names feels to me a bit like being frightened to embrace the world. They are good names and lets face it, if ducks are in the Elder races box then using the gods' names is not a step too far. If anything I would ramp up the flavour in certain parts because it helps with character. Orlanth the Thunderer, God of Storm, Slayer of the Sun, Change bringer, wielder of the three magic weapons and so on. Part of the fun of Gods War, I reckon, is bombast and playing a role. More so than Cthulhu Wars where characterisation doesn't get much beyond Cthulhu Smash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I have to completely agree with this! whistle

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Well, the prototype character sheet for Empire of Sky has "The Sun God, Yelm" on it. I agree with this. Should it only say "The Sun God", I will probably end up referring to it by some crass nickname such as "Sunny" rather than the vastly more original "Yelmy".

I can understand the perspective of aiming for mass appeal, although I keep having to remind myself the Kickstarter is called "The Gods War" and not "Glorantha" (as I exclusively refer to it as the latter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
One could argue that names are just what mortals call them while their titles are what they truly are... That said I agree that putting the name after the title look a bit odd. Personally I wouldn't mind not having the names at all and just keeping the titles. Altough the world of Glorantha is built around a monomyth, its inhabitants have wildly different interpretations of it. They can somewhat agree that there was a storm king, a sun god and a hell mother but never on the precise names and deeds of theses entities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would feel kinda cheap for a Norse mythology game to call units 'thunder god' or 'king of gods' instead of some name with Thor or Odin in it.

likewise for Glorantha.

As Peter said the main gods seem to have their name so far. (but what about the mortal heroes? The Mistress vs Cragspider??)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a PBF assuming that the Mistress was a Mistress Race troll, and that Cragspider was in an expansion. I was quite surprised to find the Mistress was meant to be her...

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only looked at the KS page, and saw the gods do have their names there. So I am assuming we will see them with there Glorantha names on publication?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
I played a PBF assuming that the Mistress was a Mistress Race troll, and that Cragspider was in an expansion. I was quite surprised to find the Mistress was meant to be her...

Cheers,
Graham

Cragspider IS a Mistress race troll. Just a highly modified one ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Decarcassor wrote:
They can somewhat agree that there was a storm king, a sun god and a hell mother but never on the precise names and deeds of theses entities.

Nonsense, those are just sorcerers misusing the power granted by the Invisible God to fool lesser mortals and lead them away from the true path of the Abiding Book of Malkion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
tmcvey wrote:

Nonsense, those are just sorcerers misusing the power granted by the Invisible God to fool lesser mortals and lead them away from the true path of the Abiding Book of Malkion.

Well the Abiding Book wrote itself into existence a the begining of the second Age. It did not exist in the God Time.

But yeah the Westerners would say that the Storm King is just a manifestation of degenerate runic power given a personnality by his barbarian worshippers. All the more reason not to give it a real name, it would only encourage him. ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Decarcassor wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

Well the Abiding Book wrote itself into existence a the begining of the second Age. It did not exist in the God Time.

But yeah the Westerners would say that the Storm King is just a manifestation of degenerate runic power given a personnality by his barbarian worshippers. All the more reason not to give it a real name, it would only encourage him. ^^

Foolish heretic !laugh The written book is only his physical manifestation, its cosmic shape of course exists since the beginning, it simply remains invisible too... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.