John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone who's played have:

(a) suggestions for your best/favorite 2-player combos? (when learning the game)

(b) some great 3-player combo mix/matches?

(c) and after having played a few games (as each character), what would be your ultimate 2-player character combo game be?

thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are marks in the variant section that mentions the ideal starting roles.

For 2 player, I really like Dragon vs Knight. It allows both roles to attempt to fulfill their primary objective.

For 3 players: Knight vs Dragon, vs Goblin would be good. I think the Goblin is probably the trickiest of the three.

I haven't played enough to answer C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would agree that after reading the rules/charts and goblins would be the trickiest (and the cave the busiest)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet, but I was thinking Knight vs. Dragon vs. Cave for the first 3-players game. My thought: Since the Cave is there anyway, this might be the easiest combination. Makes sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having a cave player definitely has a different feel. It's also the busiest role, so if one your group is easily bored this is the role for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that Knight vs. Dragon is the best 2-player variant for learning/first-time players. They're the two most straightforward roles, and both get to use their standard victory goals.

Cave vs. (Anyone) is another good option if you and/or your opponent have tried out any of the solo variants, because it's kind of like an extension of that, just with a (presumably) much smarter Cave.

Adding the Cave or Goblins to the K vs. D pair works well for 3-players, depending on which of those two roles your third player wants to try.

My personal favorite 2-player setups are Dragon vs. Goblins, Dragon vs. Thief, and Goblins vs. Thief, because they give a lot of direct back-and-forth conflict with both players really needing to get in the other's face. It's less of the cat-and-mouse game where one player is mostly trying to avoid the other while doing their own thing. Goblins vs. Thief can get especially brutal, and is more likely to end in a mutual loss (due to collapse) than any other setup just because they can screw with each other so much. Definitely not recommended for first-time players, but it's a lot of fun once you both know what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.