Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
License Plate In New Jersey

Last week, a New Jersey federal district court approved the parties' settlement agreement (full text) in Morgan v. Martinez. In the case, an atheist sued New Jersey's Motor Vehicle Commission challenging provisions in state regulations barring issuance of personalized license plates with letters or numbers "that may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency." Authorities had refused to issue Shannon Morgan a plate with the characters "8THEIST". Under the settlement, the Commission will issue Morgan the requested plate. The settlement also stipulates that a number of other specific alphanumeric combinations reflecting humanism, feminism and LGBT concerns are consistent with the Commission's regulations. The Commission also agreed to pay $75,000 in damages. Americans United issued a press release discussing the settlement.

What a waste of taxpayer money there. Had they just issued the plate they could have saved the 75,000 in damages they'll now pay out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
What a waste of taxpayer money there. Had they just issued the plate they could have saved the 75,000 in damages they'll now pay out.

I wonder if you could get a plate with H8fags , for someone who is in the anti cigarette camp and really hates cigarettes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I wonder if you could get a plate with H8fags , for someone who is in the anti cigarette camp and really hates cigarettes.
Maybe in the UK, but I think most U.S. English speakers know your true agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
jonb wrote:

Seems like that plate should be legal to me since an honestly held religious belief can't be offensive due to the RFRA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Seems like that plate should be legal to me since an honestly held religious belief can't be offensive due to the RFRA.
It might be hard to justify in front of a Judge when the prevailing thought is not to hate gay people, but to hate their sin. Unless Jeremy got H8ANAL as his plate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've said it before in a different context, they shouldn't have personalized plates at all. That's what bumper stickers are for. Too much bureaucracy for "vanity".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Personally, I've said it before in a different context, they shouldn't have personalized plates at all. That's what bumper stickers are for. Too much bureaucracy for "vanity".
yEP, PRTTY MUCH AGREE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

But it makes money for the state (when they aren't paying out damages...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
What's an Eight-Theist? Someone who worships the Great Spiders of Metabelis III?
A follower of the eight fold path, a disciple of Chaos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
What's an Eight-Theist? Someone who worships the Great Spiders of Metabelis III?
A follower of the eight fold path, a disciple of Chaos!

I know little or nothing about the religious allusion but I have a book by Murray Gell-Mann and Yuval Ne'eman (who founded quark theory) entitled "The Eightfold Way". I always find it interesting that they named the book not for the number of quarks but for the number of gluons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.