Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ludvig Bowallius
Sweden
Stockholm
Ă…rsta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and two friends are really itching for another game of Cthulhu Wars tomorrow evening, but it sadly seems as it might just be us 3 duking it out. The expansions won't arrive for a while but I still want to know what people's opinion are about what factions interact in the best ways in a three player game. I'm also interested in what combinations to avoid.

We consider using placeholders for some of the expansion factions, although we have decided to not use Cthulhu at all in a three player game the next time we try it. We played our first 4p game this Tuesday and Cthulhu became so much more fun compared to our 3p games. I guess that is my first suggestion on this topic: Don't include Great Cthulhu in 3p. He's certainly balanced, but a bit boring as his choices are so limited with just 2 opponents, and he becomes too isolated in that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwalker wrote:
Me and two friends are really itching for another game of Cthulhu Wars tomorrow evening, but it sadly seems as it might just be us 3 duking it out. The expansions won't arrive for a while but I still want to know what people's opinion are about what factions interact in the best ways in a three player game. I'm also interested in what combinations to avoid.

We consider using placeholders for some of the expansion factions, although we have decided to not use Cthulhu at all in a three player game the next time we try it. We played our first 4p game this Tuesday and Cthulhu became so much more fun compared to our 3p games. I guess that is my first suggestion on this topic: Don't include Great Cthulhu in 3p. He's certainly balanced, but a bit boring as his choices are so limited with just 2 opponents, and he becomes too isolated in that way.

So if you have access to proxies I would suggest: Chaos, Black Goat, WindWalker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwalker wrote:

Any faction, really. This game is very well balanced.

IMO 3 player games tend to be more cold and tense, tension build up in the air but is rarely a blood bath. Why? After the 1st heavy battle, both sides are quite damaged, then the 3rd part takes most gates and the lead and is hardly countered therefore, unless the two involved in the 1st battle team up against him. The game is less interestign with this config. Again, just my opinion. I love 4,5 and 6 pl games of CW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use Opener of the Way in 3player games, at least not until the errata is official for his Gate-related requirements for 2 of his spellbooks. As it stands, it's really difficult for Yog to get his 12 Gate spellbook, especially if another is playing Yellow Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yog itself also hurts for combat power in 3p games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, after a few 3 player games, my group decided that with 3 players, our time is probably spent better on other games. We usually only have time for one game, which was way too much set up and take down (with painted figs)to warrant the rather short 3 player games.

You will scratch the itch with a 3 player game, but it is rather bitter sweet in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the two three-player game we've played, so far. First game was Black Goat, Great Cthulhu, and Crawling Chaos. Crawling Chaos was struggling, the other two were doing fine - Black Goat won.

Second game was Yellow Sign, Windwalker, and Sleeper. Interestingly, Yellow Sign was struggling - but that was likely due to misplays, not because of the faction itself. For the other two it was an extremely close match. Sleeper had been ahead the whole game, but Windwalker eventually closed the gap and ended the game thanks to a lucky Elder Sign draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Maybe its just me, but I think in a 3 player game (or perhaps all) miss not having Crawling Chaos around to easily harass gate expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.