10 Posts

Wargames» Forums » Wargaming Press Releases

Subject: Naval Command: Modern Naval Wargame Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory Crabb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My new modern naval wargame rules available on Wargamevault.

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/190866/Naval-Command-Mod....

"Naval Command is a set of wargame rules for recreating naval battles with fleets of miniature warships and aircraft in the age of the guided missile and jet aeroplane. Covering the period from the late 1950s to the modern day or near future.

The game can be played with fleets ranging in size form one or two ships per side to full sized battlegroups of ten or more ships. The rules can be used for different sizes of ships ranging from small fast attack craft up to super-carriers engaged in open sea battles or littoral and amphibious missions.

The aim of these rules is to create a game that captures the feel and provides a fairly accurate recreation of modern naval engagements but is still relatively quick to play with reasonably sized fleets and does not require excessive bookkeeping and paperwork.

The rulebook contains all the rules needed to play the game and fleet lists for a range of nations."

For more information and game resources visit my website:

http://rorycrabb.wordpress.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

".. to remove much of the paperwork and book-keeping usually associated with naval wargames"

Having been bitten by that before - how much book-keeping is still in there and can it be replaced by markers ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Crabb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

Ship damage is recorded by using two d6 dice for each ship, missile ammo levels are recorded by missile tokens.

All ship detection states etc. are marked by counters. In theory players should not need to write anything down. This also means that ships do not need individual data sheets that clutter up the playing area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, these are miniatures rules, not a boxed wargame with counters, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Crabb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Correct. They are miniatures rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Crabb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Expanded fleet lists for the UK, US and Russia are now available on my site.

Http://rorycrabb.wordpress.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uel McAdorey
Canada
Fonthill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has much changed since the second edition of the playtest rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Crabb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nothing fundamental, just numerous corrections, clarifications and small but important changes.

All the changes were the result of playtesting and extensive feedback that I received.

Rory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Aviles
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hello,

Just picked this up a few weeks ago and have been reading through the book and getting some modern ships together. I have a ton of WW2 ships but no modern ships. My impression is very positive. The ship data cards look great! I just have a few questions.

1) Can you play in inches instead of centimeters?

2) Ship damage levels, if a ship has 2/3/4 does that mean 24 points of damage? 6x4=24

3) Can all the ships fire their full weapons load? There does not seem to be a rule to limit a ships attacks. I know that all ships have different fire controls and can only guid a limited number of missiles at a time. Did I miss something or is that not a factor?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Die Ostfront, 1941–1945
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the game is great but in need of a new update. F–14 Tomcats have been retired for carrier duty since 2006.

I've been playing it with homemade cardboard counters with just the vessels names on them. This beats out the PC wargames Command: Modern Air Naval Operations and Harpoon 3: Advanced Naval Warfare for fun, as well as having a substantial touch of realism. It's the Pareto effect: 80% of the outcome for 20% of the effort.

cmaviles4 wrote:
1) Can you play in inches instead of centimeters?

No reason why you can't.

cmaviles4 wrote:
2) Ship damage levels, if a ship has 2/3/4 does that mean 24 points of damage? 6x4=24

No. The vessel has "(2 x 6) + (3 x 6) + (4 x 6) = 54" hit points meaning it can sustain 54 hits before being destroyed. The damage levels statistic of "2/3/4" means the following.

Quote:
Each time a ships number of damage points reach 6 these are exchanged for 1 damage level.

i.e. 6 hits = 1 damage level.

2 damage levels (i.e. 2 x 6 = 12 hits) before the vessel has suffered major damage.

Quote:
• Maximum movement speed is halved
• -1 Modifier to all detection rolls
• -1 Modifier when rolling to hit with missiles, torpedoes or guns.
• Air defence and missile defence target scores increase by 1
• EW and UEW characteristics reduced by 1
• May not launch or recover aircraft
• Submarines must immediately surface

3 damage levels (i.e. previous 12 + 3 x 6 = 30 hits) before the vessel is crippled.

Quote:
• Maximum movement speed reduces to 2 cm
• All weapon systems inoperative
• Air defence and Missile defence target score increased to 9+
• No damage control rolls may be carried out
• May not launch or recover aircraft
• Submarines must immediately surface

4 damage levels (i.e. previous 30 + 4 x 6 = 54 hits)before the vessel is destroyed.

Quote:
All aircraft carried on board are also destroyed.

cmaviles4 wrote:
3) Can all the ships fire their full weapons load? There does not seem to be a rule to limit a ships attacks. I know that all ships have different fire controls and can only guide a limited number of missiles at a time. Did I miss something or is that not a factor?

Yes, they can fire all their weapons at once in a single salvo, but bear in mind you have limited ammunition. Fire enough to defeat the ship defences of your target, but not so much that you don't have enough missiles for the next engagement. Get that delicate balance wrong and you'll be without enough firepower to win more than one engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.