The War: Europe 1939-1945» Forums » Rules

Subject: Naval units activation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Just to make sure I understand the rule properly:

1/ Naval units, like ground and air units are activated only through LE, so if I want to do something with my fleet in Suez and the one in Britain, I need 2 RLE at least. Correct?

2/ Once activated, each fleet can realize only one mission per game turn (Moving, or transporting, or amphibiously assault etc..)

3/ If they have done something in their turn, can they still intercept enemy units in the enemy's turn ?

4/ Can I intercept with naval units if I haven't activated them with my last LE? I cannot if I had to Pass, but can I if I took a RLE that was played away from my fleet ?

5/ by the way, can I choose to Pass if I still have NARFs to spend ? or is it only allowed for players with 0 or less NARF?

6/ can I intercept several enemy fleet with the same fleet of mine ? I know the same fleet cannot try several times to intercept a given enemy force. But if I have intercepted one, can I intercept the next one with the same fleet? or are my fleet activated and turned sideways after they have intercepted ?

7/ I think fleet MUST abort their mission and go back to port after the end of any battle where they have been depleted. So I cannot use them at all as long as their are depleted ? so it works differently for aircrafts ?

8/can I voluntarily attack an enemy patrol in a sea area ? or is intercepting it the only way to stop enemy from patrolling the sea zone ?

Thank you for you help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to look up specifics and don't have rules atm

If no answer noon eastern tomorrow please update thread so it shows back up on my list to read again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Just to make sure I understand the rule properly:

1/ Naval units, like ground and air units are activated only through LE, so if I want to do something with my fleet in Suez and the one in Britain, I need 2 RLE at least. Correct?

2/ Once activated, each fleet can realize only one mission per game turn (Moving, or transporting, or amphibiously assault etc..)

3/ If they have done something in their turn, can they still intercept enemy units in the enemy's turn ?

4/ Can I intercept with naval units if I haven't activated them with my last LE? I cannot if I had to Pass, but can I if I took a RLE that was played away from my fleet ?

5/ by the way, can I choose to Pass if I still have NARFs to spend ? or is it only allowed for players with 0 or less NARF?

6/ can I intercept several enemy fleet with the same fleet of mine ? I know the same fleet cannot try several times to intercept a given enemy force. But if I have intercepted one, can I intercept the next one with the same fleet? or are my fleet activated and turned sideways after they have intercepted ?

7/ I think fleet MUST abort their mission and go back to port after the end of any battle where they have been depleted. So I cannot use them at all as long as their are depleted ? so it works differently for aircrafts ?

8/can I voluntarily attack an enemy patrol in a sea area ? or is intercepting it the only way to stop enemy from patrolling the sea zone ?

Thank you for you help

Hello, Mr. Lapineau,

You'll usually get a faster, more complete answer to your questions by posting to the TW forum on Consimworld, since I spend much more time there than I do on BGG. But I saw your post, so, in order:

1) Yes, as the phasing player, but also keep in mind that as the non-phasing player, you don't need any chits - naval interception doesn't require a chit;

2) Correct;

3) yes, because interception does not count as a naval mission;

4) as above, yes, interception doesn't require an LE chit;

5) sure, you can pass, regardless of your NARF level; however, it's usually much better to buy an MLE if you just want to move units around but don't want to fight any battles on that turn;

6) no, you can't go on intercepting and intercepting and intercepting with the same naval unit. As the non-phasing player, you intercept, you fight, then you're done.

7) correct - Fleets and CVs will fight up to three rounds, but then they go home. The Depleted ones go to the nearest shipyard. However, you CAN still use them even if Depleted, and you don't have to repair them...but Depleted Fleets are Fourth Rate and thus will probably get sunk pretty easily if you don't repair them. Thus, I almost always repair any Depleted Fleets I may have and do so as soon as possible.

8) the way to deal with a patrol is to intercept it.

Hope the above is helpful,

good gaming to you,

Ernie Copley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lapinou
France
flag msg tools
Hello Ernie,
Thank you for the quick reply. My name is Robin by the way, Lapinou just a sort of nickname.

I've tried to enlist on the CSW forum several times with different mail address but never got the e-mail from them, so I'm not sure what to do about it...

According to your answers:
1/ I will always be able to intercept with naval/air units, unless I played a Pass

6/ So each unit can intercept ONCE per game turn only.
As I understand it, each fleet can take ONE mission during it's active operation phase, and then ONE interception during opponent's next phase.
What about counter-interception during my own phase? does this count as a normal mission, so I can still intercept in my opponent's turn?

8/ So if I failed intercepting the patrol on the turn it went on patrol, I have to live with it, right ?
Can I send a patrol in a sea area that already has a enemy patrol ?

The rest is clear, thank yo very much.
I will probably have more questions coming soon, so I'm very glad you can help me. the game looks greater every day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Copley
United States
Cumberland Center
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Agabdir wrote:
Hello Ernie,
Thank you for the quick reply. My name is Robin by the way, Lapinou just a sort of nickname.

I've tried to enlist on the CSW forum several times with different mail address but never got the e-mail from them, so I'm not sure what to do about it...

According to your answers:
1/ I will always be able to intercept with naval/air units, unless I played a Pass

6/ So each unit can intercept ONCE per game turn only.
As I understand it, each fleet can take ONE mission during it's active operation phase, and then ONE interception during opponent's next phase.
What about counter-interception during my own phase? does this count as a normal mission, so I can still intercept in my opponent's turn?

8/ So if I failed intercepting the patrol on the turn it went on patrol, I have to live with it, right ?
Can I send a patrol in a sea area that already has a enemy patrol ?

The rest is clear, thank yo very much.
I will probably have more questions coming soon, so I'm very glad you can help me. the game looks greater every day!

Hello Robin,

Regarding logging on to Consimworld, although anyone can log on as a guest, you have to create an account if you want to post anything. If you are having trouble with it, I suggest you get in touch with John Kranz, who runs CSW. I know him - he's a good guy and has been helpful to me in the past. For the rest of your post:

1)Correct;

6) counter-interception is not a mission, so the answer is yes;

8) first part: correct; second part: well sort of. Remember, as per the Sequence of Play cards, patrols don't stay out at sea forever - you set them up at the end of your turn to help intercept enemy naval units on your opponent's turn. For example, assume it's Spring 1941 and the British want to choke off Axis reinforcements to Libya; they establish a patrol in the Central Med Sea Area with a Fleet. That will give that Fleet a -2 (beneficial) modifier in any interception attempt against an Italian convoy to Tripoli on the Axis player's Summer 1941 turn. Since the Italians have a Third Rate Navy, they usually don't want to fight the Royal Navy if they can avoid it. So the usual countermove to a British patrol in the Central Med Sea Area is for the Axis to keep a couple of 1-5-4 TACs (say one German, one Italian) in Sicily to discourage the British from establishing the patrol in the first place.

Hope this is helpful,

ernie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.