Subject: Battle Resolution - No more armies (anywhere) to place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised this question hasn't been asked before (or if it has, I can't find it): If a battle resolution involves you having to place x number of armies into the territory but you have none left in reserve nor any in any other territory, what do you do?

If there are armies set aside, should you be forced to discard action cards in order to acquire those armies for placement? What if they have no more armies set aside (or no more actions that can be discarded)?

Or perhaps you just place as many as you can and that's it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I'm surprised this question hasn't been asked before (or if it has, I can't find it): If a battle resolution involves you having to place x number of armies into the territory but you have none left in reserve nor any in any other territory, what do you do?

If there are armies set aside, should you be forced to discard action cards in order to acquire those armies for placement? What if they have no more armies set aside (or no more actions that can be discarded)?

Or perhaps you just place as many as you can and that's it?

So all your armies are either "in the box" (whatever the out-of-the-game pile are called), or marking territory names to show you've played your six on them, or on this one territory?

Sounds a pretty unusual case and I'd go for not placing any extras. Will check the rulebook next time I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
MLBath wrote:
So all your armies are either "in the box" (whatever the out-of-the-game pile are called), or marking territory names to show you've played your six on them, or on this one territory?

Sounds a pretty unusual case and I'd go for not placing any extras. Will check the rulebook next time I play.

It may be unusual but it happened in my third game. large number of armies in one territory and the others all out of play or marking territories.

I've tried re-reading the rules but I don't think there is any provision for this scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanguy Serra
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I might be misunderstanding your question but I believe this is addressed in the rules - you HAVE to fulfill your army commitment either from your reserve or by transferring armies - which creates interesting strategic dynamics around forcing as a large army in one territory that is worth limited points - love this game -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanguyserra wrote:

I might be misunderstanding your question but I believe this is addressed in the rules - you HAVE to fulfill your army commitment either from your reserve or by transferring armies - which creates interesting strategic dynamics around forcing as a large army in one territory that is worth limited points - love this game -

The rules talk about taking armies that are "in reserve" not "in the reserve" as I originally thought.

Some armies are "set aside" (in the box, unavailable*) and some are "in the reinforcement pool" (spare armies that go on and off the board).

I think it would be wrong to put "set aside" armies into your province if you empty your reinforcement pool. The rules pretty clearly say put armies on from the reinforcement pool, then from neighbouring provinces, then from any other province. It doesn't cover anything beyond this.

I agree with Simon, above, that there is no provision for this scenario. The only option that feels right to me is to do without those armies (don't touch the "set aside").

* You can make them available during the game by, for example, discarding cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is a unit removed entirely from the game if it has already been placed on the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.