GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,551 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Variants

Subject: [WIP Character] Trederran Defector rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Before I commit this to the final form I'd love some feed back. It is basically a Drifter variant.

Terderran Defector
Keyword: [Frontier remove]; Otherworld; Tederran; Scout

Melee: 4+ Ranged: 4+
Health: 10 Sanity: 12
Defense: 4+ Willpower: 3+
Combat: 2
Initiative: 5
Agility: 3
Cunning: 3
Spirit: 3
Strength: 1
Lore: 3
Luck: 2
Grit: 3

Starting Equipment: Tederran Void Blade (Trederran/Hand Weapon): +2 Damage to melee hits; 1 handed; 1 anvil; $450; 1 DS icon. Trederran Trench Pistol (See the card) . Trederran Rebreather Mask (Trederran/clothing/face): any time you would take a corruption point or gain a poison marker, roll a D6. Ignore it on the roll of 4+ (Same as Trederran breath mask just no +1 Grit) and value $500. Dark Stone Bag: holds 3 dark stone like a tomb chest: no weight

Dark Stone Carbine: Range 10; shots 2; uses D8 for damage; Damage +1; take a corruption hit to fire.
The Defector hero starts with a bandages or whiskey token and 3 shatter grenades

Starting Upgrade Choices
Void Scout: +2 move; roll 2 dice for movement and pick one; move through friendly models.
Intelligence Agent: You may spend 2 days (per anvil) in town studying any book to gain D3+your level (3 max) X100xp. Only once per book title. You can use a studied book's effects without the book. +1 Lore
Soldier: Start every adventure with max grit. +1 Strength. Replace Trench pistol with the Carbine.

Starting Abilities:
Rapid Assault: If the hero has an empty <1 hand icon> at the start of their activation, they can make one free throwing action before moving.
Press Forward: Ignore escape rolls. You can move through stunned models
Trederran: Ignore the anvil weight of keyword Trederra clothing items.

Special Rules:
Special Enemy: At hero creation draw a Trederran Faction card and the Defector is +1 Damage vs that specific faction. All Tederran enemies have a special hatred for the Defector Hero. Roll a D6 for each enemy Tredrran model when they appear and on a 4+ they will target the Defector ignoring other heroes.
Leveling: Extra XP Required to Level: All Trederran's are highly trained soldiers and have been exposed to the horrors of war for most of their lives, as such a Trederran Defector Hero must pay double the normal XP cost to level.

Leveling Chart:
2: Dark Stone Resistance
3: +1 Initiative
4: +1 Strength
5: +1 Move +D8 Sanity
6: +1 Luck or Spirit; +D6 Health
7: +2D6 health/sanity any mix
8: +1 Cunning or +1 Agility; +D6 Sanity
9: +2 side bag; +D8 Health
10: +1 Max Grit
11: Dark Stone Resistance
12: Battle Hardened: Pick an enemy type, you are +1 damage vs. that enemy and immune to horror hits from that enemy if they cause them.

Speed
Skilled Fighter: +1 Combat and +1 Agility
Rapid Assault Plus: After making your Rapid Assault action, you can equip a <1 handed> item until the start of your next activation. +2 Max Grit.
Quick Strike: When moving through a stunned enemy, you may make 1 free combat or range attack against them. Once each enemy.
Combined Arms: You can make both range and melee attacks in the same activation. +1 Max Grit.

Field Engineering
Ordnance: spend 2 grit and a dynamite token to generate 3 shatter grenades. Spend 2 Grit to generate 1 dynamite token. +1 Max Grit.
Emergency Fuel: Spend 2 grit, 1 dark stone and any combination of 3 of the following tokens to generate $P$ of fuel tokens: Tonic, whiskey, tequila, lamp oil, potion, dynamite or flash powder. Only 1 of the same token can be used per attempt.
Foxhole: Once a turn, make no move (still roll for grit) and attacks and spend 2 grit to generate 5+ cover in any adjacent square. +1 Initiative
Master Smith: Field engineering skills only cost 1 grit and any required tokens are not discarded on a roll of 4+. +2 Max Grit.

Soldier
Suppressive Fire: Deal no damage with range gun hits to make all enemies –2 Initiative until your next activation; +1 Initiative.
Skills: You can make your rapid assault action while a <2 handed> weapon is equipped. +1 Agility.
Quick Load: Once per turn, use 2 grit to make an extra range attack, +1 Shot with gun weapons.
In Cover: You are Defense 3+

Advanced Training
Bite the Bullet: Use 2 grit while KO'd to heal D6+2 Wounds/Sanity (any mix) and place your model back on the board without rolling for madness or injury.
Weapon Master: Choose one: Hand weapon, Pistol, or rifle. You now add+1 combat/+1 shot to any weapon you are using with that keyword.
Sniper: Range to Hit 3+ ; You may target anyone,not just the closest model.
Battle Plan: Any time you draw one or more, loot, scavenge, darkness, encounter, or map cards, you may draw one extra card, then choose one of those cards to discard. (If used for a encounter draw, the hero must be on the map tile that the encounter is drawn for.) +1 Initiative; +1 Strength
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice idea! I should think he'd get some kind of negative modifier in Town though since Trederran raiders will likely have a reputation and I'm guessing these Heroes won't be able to take their three-eyed gas masks off. The sight of some Trederran walking around would probably rub lots of folks the wrong way and get some people riled up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance the stats seem more powerful than the characters I can recall- all 4+/3+ on attacks and saves and 3 grit. +2dmg weapon from the start, free 4+ save on all poison & corruption hits.

I don't see much value in the Intelligence Agent option, but that's a personal preference. It's just an XP generator with little other utility, and for me, XP is best gained by playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Good points.

As to town visits, perhaps an auto D3 + Some amount or $P$ die of unwanted attention while in town. I don't think keeping the mask on is an absolute. Noting to prevent a person from wrapping their face in bandages and saying "I burned it." I think of Trederra as almost like Nue-earth in Rogue Trooper. Trederrans live in a toxic environment, thus all the protective gear, the mine world isn't and in calm moments why can't they take off their masks? With mutants and weird stuff going on, I'm not playing the towns as so suspicious of foreigners.

In my games, books have become non-items. Nobody wants them and consider them a bad draw--basically heavy gold. I wanted a reason for a character to want books. With double XP needed to level this would provide another avenue. Should I remove the level cap? What would be a good replacement?

The character does start out powerful, like the Drifter, and like the Drifter, double XP needed to level. And the low strength helps moderate the piling on of gear. But he shouldn't be able to get a trusty pistol from the get go--good call and my miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Manning
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would say that he shouldn't have the Frontier keyword. It doesn't make sense to me lore-wise, and would restrict a few items which may balance things out a little since he starts strong. Also, I would add the shatter grenades to the Rapid Assault starting upgrade instead of giving it to everyone. Dark Stone Bag seems to be a bit much to me, especially when they already have the Rebreather Mask to deal with corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
As a heads up, the Trederran Defector is an actual official Hero Class that will likely be released some time in the future (can't say when just yet). It was mentioned during the Shadows of Brimstone Future Product Preview event at Gen Con 2016 a few weeks ago.

Until then of course, carry on...

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
Alright then! Sweet. I'm done with this and make no claim and waive any rights I have. Thanks Jason, to you and everyone else working away for my personal amusement. Keep up the good work and looking forward seeing what is to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very cool. My first few thoughts were about this hero walking around all day with the mask with the three eyes, and that of course led to wondering what the Trederrans are going to look like under the mask.

So I have a question for you; When do we find out what the Trederrans look like under the mask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
As a heads up, the Trederran Defector is an actual official Hero Class that will likely be released some time in the future (can't say when just yet). It was mentioned during the Shadows of Brimstone Future Product Preview event at Gen Con 2016 a few weeks ago.

Awesome!!!! I was really hoping this would happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jchill7 wrote:

-Jason

Any chance of there being plans for other otherworld native heroes in the works?

I kinda think some kind of cyborg from Targa would be awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jchill7 wrote:

-Jason

Your official Gambler class had me all worried that our work on the Huckster would be for naught, too! I am happy to say they look different enough

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
jchill7 wrote:

-Jason

For those of us who were not at GenCon, is there a video or synopsis of this event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I was actually trying to create my own version of this class on the Brimstone Cowboy Forum (although nobody has offered criticism yet). Here's what I have with my version (which borrowed more from the Jargono Tribal Hero, since it held the most rules dealing with "originating from an Other World"). Bear in mind that I'm not an expert on game balance, and thus didn't give specific stats for starting items:

Trederran Defector:

Description: “Even among the most fanatical of Trederra's armies, there are soldiers who simply leave their army rather than die in battle. Some are deserters trying to avoid certain death in a suicide charge, others are sole survivors who barely escaped a fate that killed the rest of their comrades. These Trederran Defectors have begun to work independently or with other humans after escaping Trederra, sometimes out of loyalty to a posse that saved them from death, sometimes out of a mercenary greed, but most as a means of survival. With their own armies likely to execute them for desertion or treason, and none of the other Trederran factions offering a place in their ranks, these Defectors have cut all ties to Trederra, and will only see it again when it involves helping the people of their new homeworld. The true face of even these Trederran Defectors remains a mystery to many humans, since they never take off their signature gas masks in public, and rarely do so with the privacy of other posse members (nearly all of whom never describe what it truly looks like afterwards).”

Playing a Trederran Defector: The Trederran Defector is an expert in the technological warfare of Trederra, and is thus an expert in modern weapons, battlefield salvage, and tactical maneuvers. Although they look down on "superstitious" methods like Magik, Trederran Defectors are deadly combatants by themselves, and even deadlier when using their combat experience to boost the effectiveness of their Posse.

Keywords: Other World, Trederra

To Hit: Range 5+, Melee 4+
Combat: 2
Max Grit: 2

Health: 14, 4+ Defense
Sanity: 10, 5+ Defense

Agility: 3
Cunning: 3
Spirit: 1
Strength: 4
Lore: 2
Luck: 2

Initiative 4

Abilities:
Soldier’s Instinct – You are +1 Damage on all of your Attacks against Trederran, Human and Mutant Enemies (effect does not stack). Also, you gain +1 Initiative in the first turn of an Ambush Attack.
Imperialist – May not use Holy, Tribal, Magik or Occult Items
Other World Native (Trederra) – Starts with a Trederra Personal Item instead of a normal Personal Item. Also, +2 Lore while in the Trederra Other World.

Starting Items: Worn Trederran Gas Mask, Worn Trederran Helmet, Worn Trederran Pistol, Worn Trederran Saber

Starting Upgrade Choices: Trederran Defector Starting Upgrades focus on gaining accuracy in place of toughness, focusing on Melee and Looting over accuracy , or sacrificing Ranged and Melee attacks to rally themselves and others with healing and ability buffs.
Legionnaire (Gain Keyword Frontier. Your Ranged to Hit value is now 4+, and your Melee to Hit value is now 5+. Extra Starting Equipment: Worn Trederran Carbine (Replaces Worn Trederran Saber and Worn Trederran Pistol)): This ability gives the Trederran Defector the ability to lay down accurate fire with their Dark Stone Carbine, albeit sacrificing melee combat.
Raider (Gain Keyword Traveler. Anytime you draw a Loot card, you may draw a second Loot card, and choose which to keep, and which to discard. Your +1 Damage with any Melee Attack): This focuses on gaining Loot, and engaging hand-to-hand combat with enemies, compensating for shooting ability with up-close and personal battles.
Lieutenant (Gain Keyword Law. Use 1 Grit to heal 2 Wounds or 2 Sanity from yourself or another Hero on your Map Tile or Use 1 Grit to heal 1 Wound or 1 Sanity from yourself and every other Hero on your Map Tile – gain 5XP for every Wound/Sanity healed from another Hero in this way. Extra Starting Gear: Wireless Communication Set (Replaces Worn Trederran Helmet)): This ability allows the defector to bolster allies with healing, and the Wireless Communication Set can allow him to also buff abilities – the tradeoff is a missing piece of armor with the Worn Trederran Helmet, and no additional boosts to combat like the Legionnaire or Raider.

I also don't have a specific Upgrade Tree, but I do know the four broad categories: Soldier (Combat Damage and Accuracy Bonus), Engineer (Improve Weapons and Gear), Leader (Posse Bonuses, Ability Buffs, and Better Reputation with Towns), and Scout (Loot, Lore, and Other World Bonuses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
Very cool. My first few thoughts were about this hero walking around all day with the mask with the three eyes, and that of course led to wondering what the Trederrans are going to look like under the mask.

So I have a question for you; When do we find out what the Trederrans look like under the mask?

I'd always assumed that under those masks, with the exception of their third eye, Trederrans look just like humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Nice idea for the Defectors, but if Trederra is as polluted with Dark Stone as it is, wouldn't the Defector be more vulnerable to mutation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
Nice idea for the Defectors, but if Trederra is as polluted with Dark Stone as it is, wouldn't the Defector be more vulnerable to mutation?

Or less vulnerable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madd Kossack
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Solan wrote:
njep wrote:

I'd always assumed that under those masks, with the exception of their third eye, Trederrans look just like humans.

I think there may be some other slight differences, such as the Trederrans having pale-gray skin due to not having sunlight exposure between wearing their suits in battle, and living in underground cities when not fighting on the surface.

This is supported by a description of the Royal Forge faction, which says that "-legions of pale workers... spend their entire lifetimes below the surface, manufacturing weapons of war".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
Maximillian_Caine wrote:

Or less vulnerable?

I'd guess less, since its possible for heroes to become more resistant to corruption, I'd wager the entire trederran race is also likely somewhat adapted to its energies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
I disagree, based on the Trederra previews. From the previews, it would appear that mutants are common enough they are herded into battle (I believe it was referred to as "the Last March"), and the reason for mutation is their protective gear is damaged enough that the dark stone gets to them. Additionally, from the previews, it would seem that common tools Trederran legionnaires use are radioactive and their protective equipment is only partially useful. If mutation is common enough that you can face off against packs of Trederran mutants, led by mutant lieutenants and Trederrans depend so strongly on protective equipment, then I conclude that Trederrans are less likely to be resistant to Dark Stone. (Bearing in mind of course, that Dark Stone radiation is not the same as radiation from a radioactive isotope).

You know, Trederra reminds me of Nu Earth from Rogue Trooper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trooper. I'm especially reminded of Nort troopers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:
I disagree, based on the Trederra previews. From the previews, it would appear that mutants are common enough they are herded into battle (I believe it was referred to as "the Last March"), and the reason for mutation is their protective gear is damaged enough that the dark stone gets to them. Additionally, from the previews, it would seem that common tools Trederran legionnaires use are radioactive and their protective equipment is only partially useful. If mutation is common enough that you can face off against packs of Trederran mutants, led by mutant lieutenants and Trederrans depend so strongly on protective equipment, then I conclude that Trederrans are less likely to be resistant to Dark Stone. (Bearing in mind of course, that Dark Stone radiation is not the same as radiation from a radioactive isotope).

You know, Trederra reminds me of Nu Earth from Rogue Trooper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trooper. I'm especially reminded of Nort troopers.

That's a fair point, but keep in mind: I said more resistant, not immune.
Maybe your average Trederran has a corruption threshold of 7 or 10. They still live in trederra and are geared out in darkstone tech.
Even with a threshold of 10, they're going to rapidly mutate without their protective gear. Cause trederra is a pretty awful place to live. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillian_Caine wrote:

Well, but that I think gives us no comparison to humans.
We don´t know if humans would mutate more or less if exposed to Trederra environment.
And it is of course common that any lifeform living in an environment is more resistant to it than other lifeforms with other habitats are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MT Dav

Maryland
msg tools
When making the character, I treated the trederrans as "mysterious humans" with no difference from regular heroes--no greater or less chance to gain corruption. Based on the fluff, all the tech is based on dark stone and based on what I have seen, there is a lot of tech designed to mitigate corruption. For example, to fire the trederran pistol or carbine you take a corruption hit and they also have a dark stone icon. Thus the civilian version of the breath mask as starting equipment. Being more or less resistant is an irrelevant point.

The current rules for corruption didn't need to be modified in my opinion for this character. You have to balance your corruption causing and corruption defense items. A massive failure of corruption defense equipment is certainly possible and common enough that trederrans have a method for making use of their mutants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.