$20.00
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a horrible idea to turn this over from the nation with the most free speech protections to a private world organization unit that will be under pressure from nations that want to sensor their citizens.On the other hand I like the idea that we are privatizing this.

Obama privatizing a publicly funded project. Never thought I would see that. I assume this will be a shit storm years from now.

Quote:
The U.S. will go ahead with its plan to hand over oversight of the internet's domain name system functions to a multistakeholder body on Oct. 1, despite fierce opposition from some lawmakers and advocacy groups.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), under contract with the U.S. Department of Commerce, operates the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) which enables the operation of the internet domain name system (DNS). These include responsibility for the coordination of the DNS root, IP addressing and other internet protocol resources.

The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), an agency within the Commerce Department, said in March 2014 that it planned to let its contract with ICANN expire on Sept. 30, 2015, passing the oversight of the functions to a global governance model. NTIA made it clear that it would not accept a plan from internet stakeholders that would replace its role by that of a government-led or intergovernmental organization or would in any way compromise the openness of the internet.

The transfer was delayed to September as the internet community needed more time to finalize the plan for the transition. The new stewardship plan submitted by ICANN was approved by the NTIA in June.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3108617/internet/us-say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
This seems like a horrible idea to turn this over from the nation with the most free speech protections

That wouldn't be the U.S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
nations that want to sensor their citizens.

jeremycobert wrote:
Sorry , but you surf's dont have free speech.

Grammar Nerd Bulletin #337
Attention all grammar nerds, be advised that Grammar Nerd Central has determined that subject 35589 - Cobert, Jeremy - is deliberately fishing for us, attempting to trigger our natural homophone correction impulse for his personal amusement.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought everything was better done by private companies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I thought everything was better done by private companies?
Everything but freedom and sending kids to die in the desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To have a meaningful opinion on the subject requires a reasonable amount of technical knowledge. What are the IANA functions? Are they all being handled the same (no) and thus how are each changing? What is this DNS, what's a TLD and what are the root servers? And more.

The people whose opinions I trust (such as the technical experts who run the IETF - who are they?) are of the view this makes sense. And those are people who wouldn't be happy if things were, for example, handed over to the ITU, which is run by governments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
Attention all grammar nerds, be advised that Grammar Nerd Central has determined that subject 35589 - Cobert, Jeremy - is deliberately fishing for us, attempting to trigger our natural homophone correction impulse for his personal amusement.

That is all.

I am a victim of public education.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

jeremycobert wrote:

That is all.
Perhaps the Dalek could advise us on a course of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
toku42 wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

jeremycobert wrote:

That is all.
Perhaps the Dalek could advise us on a course of action.
Extrapolate! Extrapolate!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
To have a meaningful opinion on the subject requires a reasonable amount of technical knowledge. What are the IANA functions? Are they all being handled the same (no) and thus how are each changing? What is this DNS, what's a TLD and what are the root servers? And more.

It's simple enough. Basically, the address you type in your address bar to get to a webpage doesn't really mean much. Web servers are identified on a network by their IP address, not by a friendly name. So, for example, "www.boardgamegeek.com" is actually 72.233.16.130. The DNS servers are what 'resolve' the address you type into the IP address that actually routes your request to where it needs to go (the BGG servers, wherever they are). So whoever hosts the DNS servers determines where you end up when you type a website name into your browser. So this bit is kinda important, although it's worth pointing out that there are LOTS of DNS servers out there - indeed, you can even host your own (in fact, you probably do - most routers act as a tiny, local, DNS server).

A TLD is a 'top-level domain' - that's the part at the far end of the friendly name. So for boardgamegeek, it's the ".com". For government-themed web sites, it's generally ".gov", for educational web sites, usually ".edu", etc. There has been a successful push, recently, to vastly expand the available TLDs, although this really doesn't make a whole lot of difference to anyone that I can think of.

A root server is what determines what DNS servers can resolve the name you want, and is based on the TLD. There are not many root servers in the world - just 13, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

It's simple enough. Basically, the address you type in your address bar to get to a webpage doesn't really mean much. Web servers are identified on a network by their IP address, not by a friendly name. So, for example, "www.boardgamegeek.com" is actually 72.233.16.130. The DNS servers are what 'resolve' the address you type into the IP address that actually routes your request to where it needs to go (the BGG servers, wherever they are). So whoever hosts the DNS servers determines where you end up when you type a website name into your browser. So this bit is kinda important, although it's worth pointing out that there are LOTS of DNS servers out there - indeed, you can even host your own (in fact, you probably do - most routers act as a tiny, local, DNS server).

A TLD is a 'top-level domain' - that's the part at the far end of the friendly name. So for boardgamegeek, it's the ".com". For government-themed web sites, it's generally ".gov", for educational web sites, usually ".edu", etc. There has been a successful push, recently, to vastly expand the available TLDs, although this really doesn't make a whole lot of difference to anyone that I can think of.

A root server is what determines what DNS servers can resolve the name you want, and is based on the TLD. There are not many root servers in the world - just 13, I believe.

Of course I knew that. (Well, I didn't know the number of root servers off the top of my head.) After all, I write RFCs and deal with other IANA functions. Maybe I was too subtle in hinting that perhaps the OP didn't have a clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it must only be me who always translates IANA as I AM NOT A LAWYER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.