5 Posts

Thief's Market» Forums » Rules

Subject: Query about replacing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Alder
msg tools
mbmb
Just received and looking through the rules and I have a query about the ability to purchase more than 1 card.

The rules only seem to mention replacing purchased cards at the end of the turn. But it seems that it would be possible that there could be a point during the turn when there are no cards left to purchase. I cannot find anything in the rules that covers this situation. Do you replace all purchased cards or some since it clearly says that every player should have chance to buy a card. Or if no cards are available the turn ends without all players having a chance to purchase.

The way I read it it is possible to run out of cards to purchase in the middle of round if you have one or more players with market cards that allow them to purchase more than one card.

e.g. 5 player game and first 2 players have and use ability to purchase 2 cards. Now they is only 1 card left to purchase but 3 players still waiting to purchase. So if 3rd player buys a card there are no cards left. Do you replace all 5 cards now before the 4th and 5th person have a chance to purchase?

Similarly if you are the last person in a 5 player game and have the ability to purchase an additional card. When it comes to you there is only 1 card left. You can buy that card, but are you prevented from using your ability to purchase and additional card as no cards are available or do you replace the cards after your purchase.

I may just have missed it in the rules or I am reading it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My read:

The rules only mention refreshing the cards at the end of the turn, so you only refresh cards at the end of the turn.

If extra buys mean all the cards have gone before your turn to purchase, tough luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep is correct, there is not a hidden rule about refreshing the cards. It's actually pretty rare for all the cards to be bought in a single turn, it is more often the case that you may not get to purchase something because the right gems aren't present in the mix (especially keeping in mind that that 1/3rd of the dice faces don't provide immediate purchasing power, they give points or gold).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Alder
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you.

Just like to think through all possible what ifs before I play. As you say probably a rare event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Doe
msg tools
Now if that case does come up you might want to re-evaluate the worth of start player token in future turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.