$30.00
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
I sat down to try and construct a tier list of the teams, but found a much simpler way to order all 18 teams without creating a wall of text post with my convoluted reasoning why X team is better than Y and Z teams.

Through League play with my friends, we have found that the teams are surprisingly balanced despite our preconceptions when selecting our squad for the season. Obviously Ringers and Upgrades play a huge part in that balancing process, but overall I thought that I could win the League with (almost) any team even if it was selected at random for me.

That being said, there are definitely some teams that are stronger than others. In this post I am going to focus on the outliers rather than the bell curve teams.

S tier
Amazons: Should probably be banned from League play. Their ability is overcentralizing to the game, and their Ringers are ridiculously strong. We came up with a great idea for a nerf: The Amazons' killzones only include diagonals on their own turn. This is similar to the Cowboys' team ability, which only lets them attack from two spaces away on their own turn. This prevents the Amazon player from sitting idle and simply controlling the entire board (and ball) with two or three players. They're not unbeatable, but their winrate was insanely high compared to the rest of the teams and we quickly concluded that they should be at the very least nerfed for the purposes of our league.

A tier
Every other team: Capable of winning the League and pretty balanced for the most part.

B tier
Cowboys: Their ability is weak and their Bruisers only have 2 HP. A simple idea to buff them would be to increase their Bruisers' HP by 1 and make them a 1/1/1 team rather than a 1/0/1. Another idea, which we mulled over for a little bit but ultimately scrapped, was to make them 1/0/2.
Ogres: Their ability is weak but their stat spread is worse at 0/1/0. Our idea to buff them was to make them 0/1/1 at the least, possibly even 0/2/1.
Zombies: A weak ability but otherwise workable stats. They seem to just be lacking that little bit in flavor that other teams have. Our idea to buff them was to increase their Bruisers' HP by 1. We also tossed around the idea of re-doing their ability but didn't end up implementing any because we liked Shamble enough already.

Shamble: Before or after activating a figure, you may move any number of your figures one space, ignoring enemy killzones. (Same as before, but with the ability allowing you to activate a figure).

Reanimate: When one of your figures is killed, you may place a new figure that wasn't already in play on a starting square.

Virus: When one of your figures successfully kills an enemy figure, you may replace the enemy figure with one of your own. The kill does not count towards your score.

C tier
Goblins: We refer to this team as a handicap. When you are that much better than your opponent, you play the Goblins to prove it. Their ability is terrifying in theory but the reward for actually pulling it off is so low when you look at what other teams can accomplish with half of the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that play has ultimately proved the Goblins to be the weakest. I believe that Eric Lang said this was his favorite team; of course, perhaps like me, he likes playing with them regardless of the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
locusshifter wrote:
Interesting that play has ultimately proved the Goblins to be the weakest. I believe that Eric Lang said this was his favorite team; of course, perhaps like me, he likes playing with them regardless of the outcome.

The gap between the Goblins and the B tier teams really isn't even that big when two players are just messing around with the game for the first or second time. When you get in to League play, though, where players are taking it as a serious competition and have carefully thought out their investments on Ringers/Upgrades as well as their own strategies, it becomes clear that some teams don't have to work as hard for their wins as others do.

That's basically what I designed this simplistic tier list for. In our experience, the Goblins are more difficult to win with than say, the Ogres, who in turn are more difficult than the Pirates, who in turn are more difficult than the Amazons because they require such little effort to be a dominating team. Of course, these are just our opinions and others may have different experiences.

As I said before, the gap between the Goblins and the other teams really isn't that big, but I think they should be given some handicaps if you ever do want to play them in a serious League where everyone is going to be picking higher tier teams. Our latest league is all A tier teams after the Zombies and Goblins came so far in last that they essentially gave up near the end of the season.

We haven't implemented the buffs in our League yet, but through playtesting exhibitions we have found:

1. 3 HP Cowboys Bruisers and 1/1/1 makes them at least viable.
2. 0/2/1 Ogres are absolutely the way to go, they are terrifying. May seem drastic for some but trust me on this.
3. 4 HP Zombies Bruisers makes them a bit better. They still seem somewhat lacking, perhaps staying at 3 HP and giving them 0/1/2 is in order.

We also have been playing around with a couple of ideas for the Goblins, such as automatically letting them purchase Endorsement in League play or letting them flip a random Ringer just prior the beginning of the game and paying the base cost for their services if they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys only playing 2 player games or full 4 player games where attrition goes a long way towards balancing teams?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Wiblemo
msg tools
Bazooka wrote:
Are you guys only playing 2 player games or full 4 player games where attrition goes a long way towards balancing teams?

In our six team league we only do 1v1. We don't like 2v2 (there needs to be one winner!) and an FFA three or four player game does not, in our opinion, correlate a player's skill like 1v1 does. While this is Kaosball and it is intended to be chaotic, for true competitive play we believe 1v1 is by far the best format.

To supplement this, we have taken steps such as buffing particular teams or banning the Amazons from league play. We have altered some teams to reflect this in our upcoming league season:

- The Cowboys' Bruisers are 3 HP. We have also made them 1/1/1.

- The Ogres are now 0/1/1, not 0/2/1 as I initially reported. More playtesting concluded that 0/2/1 was not necessary.

- The Zombies are now 0/1/2.

- If anyone chooses to play as the Goblins, they have the right to purchase Endorsement for 3 cash before we do the initial Upgrade draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.