Subject: Why volleyball gets on my nerves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, Olympics-wise, there's been a thousand games played between the Men's or Women's, in both court and beach volleyball.
You can't turn on the TV without finding a game in progress.

But here's what grinds my gears.
On every point; it doesn't matter if you're serving or receiving or if you make the point or lose the point, the players on both teams all high five and hug each other like they've just won the entire match. Every point, win or lose.
That's close to fifty double-celebrations on the court and forty on the sand, per match. They spend more time celebrating and encouraging each other than they do actually playing.

I get team spirit, and all, but it's a point. You go up 3 - 2 in the second set of three games in a round robin against one of five teams that you'll be able to play again if you win, in a week's time, and you're whooping it up like you've never seen a ball go off of a blocker's hand before in your entire life.

Get a life. Get a room. Give me a break. Get off my lawn.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Chit Chat, featuring 80% less grouchiness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPORT!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love watching volleyball, can't get enough of it - but I agree, why the heck are you all so cheerful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never complain about fit half naked women hugging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent post, MABBY! Way to go! Woo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
MABBY wrote:

These would make a fine chorus in a song.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

We are singin the Chit Chat song
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the top reasons that I bowl is due to all the high fives. I'm in high five withdrawal until bowling starts again. My kids just can't reach high enough. Low fives are so unfulfilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch fencing. They all lose their shit every point, win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serve ball in net - High Five!
Spike a ball in the net - High Five!
Mishit a service - High Five!
Misjudge a ball that ends up inbounds - High Five!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WyantJM wrote:
One of the top reasons that I bowl is due to all the high fives.

I didnt think Americans even played cricket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
WyantJM wrote:

Games lasting 5 days are the wrong kind of 'high five'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
WyantJM wrote:

The point of Test cricket is to sit for 5 days in the sun drinking beer. That there's some vague buggering about with a bat and ball going on that catches your interest from time to time is entirely incidental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Ah - you should have said "olympic".

Because nobody who actually plays real volleyball (either hard-court or sand) does that shit. And the games are much more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MFinch wrote:
runtsta wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
WyantJM wrote:

The point of Test cricket is to sit for 5 days in the sun drinking beer. That there's some vague buggering about with a bat and ball going on that catches your interest from time to time is entirely incidental.

I believe there's at least one law requiring me, as an Australian, to interject with "BOOOOONieeeee" at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh I do love the handshakes, high-fives, hugs and back slaps when I take a wicket for my cricket team. Done it a lot this season too. Yaaaay.

Anyway, I've watched a LOT of Olympics on telly this year and, thankfully being in the UK, I've hardly had to watch any volleyball at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I will never complain about fit half naked women hugging.

Touche. Although the high five's do get annoying after like the 20th one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I think they have done this more often in recent years due to research that proves that touching increases bonding and team performance. Here's one example:

Quote:
Players who made contact with teammates most consistently and longest tended to rate highest on measures of performance, and the teams with those players seemed to get the most out of their talent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23mind.html

As a former high school track person, I like what seems to be a recent development: opponents hugging and congratulating each other, win or lose. That's the Olympic spirit at its finest, and nice to see in any sport.

Although I must say that the fencers sometimes annoy me, congratulating themselves with every touch, sometimes both fencers congratulating themselves on a double touch and before any points are rewarded. Stay classy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

Although I must say that the fencers sometimes annoy me, congratulating themselves with every touch, sometimes both fencers congratulating themselves on a double touch and before any points are rewarded. Stay classy.

Yeah, this can get very annoying. (My daughter fences, so I see it a lot.) There is a history to the habit. Before electronics, the judges were often influenced by the behavior of the fencers when determining if a touch had been made or not. Unfortunately, now that the behavior shouldn't have any effect, it still carries on. They can be penalized for overexuberant celebrating, but I'd love to see the threshold between over vs appropriate lowered significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soccer officials are still influenced in this way, in youth sports. If the one team grabs the ball and throws it in, and the other team lets them, and I couldn't really tell, well, that's just decided the call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
WyantJM wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Indoor ball smacking ...
Obviously I've not played any volleyball lately, nor watched much this Olympics, but I used to play in phys ed by rules that required rotating everybody. I get that you now can substitute and not rotate, but what's with the player who has a different uniform on the court?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Obviously I've not played any volleyball lately, nor watched much this Olympics, but I used to play in phys ed by rules that required rotating everybody. I get that you now can substitute and not rotate, but what's with the player who has a different uniform on the court?

They have more freedom of movement and exemptions from substitution rules, but they're purely defensive. They can't go into the front attack zone. Bonus: the position favors shorter players, so it's more inclusive. Used to be you had to be tall as eff to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.