Recommend
23 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Biblios Dice» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why This Game Is So Misunderstood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Box Cover


All The Dice


Yes It All Fits In The Box


Biblios Dice - Why This Game Is So Misunderstood



First off, I must thank Dr. Steve Finn for sending me a review copy of his wonderful dice rolling game.

Before talking about the game, I should point out a few facts that may help put things into perspective for you.

First off, I've always hated dice rolling games. After playing Biblios Dice, I've developed a whole new attitude about games involving dice rolling. In fact, I was so impressed with "Biblios Dice", I purchased a dice rolling tray and went searching for the beautiful leather dice cups I had hidden away somewhere years ago. Normally I wouldn't have touched such a game with a 10 foot pole. So fortunately I was finally able to put that Dice Cup down to take the time to write all of this. Oh "Biblio Dice", what have you done to me?

As of this writing, Biblios Dice is ranked # 2,508 here on BGG. That's certainly not bad with over 85,000 games in the database. " Biblios" on the other hand is ranked # 249. So why the big difference between these two games? So after playing the game awhile, I went on a search to figure out why.

I watched videos and read reviews on everything I could find on three games of Dr. Finn's. The three games were, "Biblios", Scripts & Scribes Dice", and of course "Biblios Dice". So what did I find?

It seemed like most people kept comparing "Bibios" with "Biblios Dice". This is where the problem seems to have started. First off, "Biblios" and Biblios Dice" are completely different games. The reality however is that "Biblios Dice" is really an update of "Scripts & Scribes Dice". If you make the more accurate comparison between these two games instead, you quickly learn that "Biblios Dice" wins this contest hands down. The artwork on "Scripts & Scripts Dice" looks like bad prototype art as compared with the much more colorful and stunning artwork found in "Biblios Dice". But there's still plenty more that separates these two games. The two player variant for "Scripts & Scribes Dice" didn't seem to work particularly well. With "Biblios Dice", the two player variant plays extremely well and really gives the players a true sense of having played a real 3 player game. But there's still more. "Scripts & Scribes Dice" had a random auction mechanic, that could cause auctions to occur two or more times in a row, throwing lots of randomness into the game. "Biblios Dice" introduced a very new and interesting scoring track where one gets a much better sense of when auctions will occur and now makes that part of the strategy while playing playing the game. "Biblios Dice" plays well with any number of players, whereas "Scripts & Scribes Dice" seemed stuck at the sweet spot of a 3 player game.

So why the big difference in the rankings we talked about? Well, the main difference is Dr. Finn decided to call this new dice rolling game "Biblios", causing players who had "Biblios" to say to themselves, "If I have 'Bibios' or "Scripts & Scribes Dice". why would I need 'Biblios Dice'?" So this seemed to be the heart of the problem.

Now please don't get me wrong. "Biblios" is a great game and is certainly worthy of being in any game collection. Had Dr. Finn decided to called "Biblios Dice", "Rock & Roll Dice" or "Race to Heaven Dice", or almost any other name you can think of, I believe many more players would have taken a much more serious look at "Biblios Dice."

You probably have noticed by now that I've left off much of the usual comments one puts in a review of a game. That's because all that information is so readily available right here on BGG. But I will say this: The components are beautiful and of good quality. The rules are compact and easy to understand. Plus trying to figure out how to divide all the dice up during an auction, is a pure joy and give you just enough to think about, without having your brain explode. And best of all, it all fits in a box you can take with you anywhere.

So to close, no matter what you currently own, if you haven't gotten "Biblios Dice", it's time to add it to your collection, especially if you love dice rolling/auction games and especially if you love "Biblios" or Scripts & Scribes Dice.".

To Dr. Finn, I must say a warm thank you for bringing this wonderful new Edition of "Scribes & Scribes Dice" to life for all of us to enjoy. Lastly, with all the clever ideas you seemed to have come up with after looking at the complete list of games you've designed so far , I suspect I'm not the only one wondering and looking forward to just what you might do with a Big Box Game. Please just don't put "Biblios" in the title.

Now where's my Dice Cup!

Arthur Reilly
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Biblios but I doubt we will play it much more after discovering Biblios Dice. This game is just plain fun.

I can't think of a Dr. Finn game that isn't fun - and we've got 'em all.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
My wife and I love Biblios but I doubt we will play it much more after discovering Biblios Dice. This game is just plain fun.

I can't think of a Dr. Finn game that isn't fun - and we've got 'em all.


I know exactly what you mean. Keep on rolling!

Arthur
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios Dice is such a great game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:
Biblios Dice is such a great game.


Absolutely!!!!!


Arthur
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the difference in ranking has anything to do with confusion among Biblios, Biblios Dice, and Scripts and Scribes. I think most people who are fans of Dr Finn and/or Dr Finn's games know about the differences. I seriously doubt there are a significant number of users giving Bibios Dice a low rating because they were expecting it to be more like the card version. I have played Biblios and Biblios Dice multiple times each and I enjoy both card and dice games. I simply think that though Biblios Dice is a very good game, Biblios is a much better game. It has much quicker set up and it also has much more room for poker style bluffing. For this reason, I think there is a higher degree of player interaction in Biblios. Interaction in the dice game is mostly of the denial variety; interaction in the card version is much more psychological. Pulling off a coup and winning a die with a much lower influence count than other players were calculating is a very satisfying and memorable play. Biblios Dice is a very fun game to play, but it doesn't have moments like that.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm in the minority but I prefer Biblios Dice over Biblios any day. Not that Biblios is a bad game, I just find Biblios Dice way more fun. It plays fast, has good amounts of tension and doesn't overstay its welcome.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danrodz wrote:
I know I'm in the minority but I prefer Biblios Dice over Biblios any day. Not that Biblios is a bad game, I just find Biblios Dice way more fun. It plays fast, has good amounts of tension and doesn't overstay its welcome.


In regards to overstaying it's welcome, I find the card game to be actually shorter than the dice version.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I dunno...I think Biblios Dice is rated much lower because it just came out last year, and Biblios was released in 2007. Average rating is comparable (7.03 vs 7.25), but while Biblios has been rated over 8000 times, Biblios Dice only has about 250 votes.

I like them both for very different reasons. I probably prefer Biblios slightly, but only because it seems simpler and less fiddly. But I do like the dimension that dice adds to the game (Biblios Dice) - very fun.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jefferoni wrote:
I dunno...I think Biblios Dice is rated much lower because it just came out last year, and Biblios was released in 2007. Average rating is comparable (7.03 vs 7.25), but while Biblios has been rated over 8000 times, Biblios Dice only has about 250 votes.

I like them both for very different reasons. I probably prefer Biblios slightly, but only because it seems simpler and less fiddly. But I do like the dimension that dice adds to the game (Biblios Dice) - very fun.


It's also because Biblios has sold over 20K copies because it is published by a much larger company than mine. I only had 1000 copies of Biblios Dice made or so.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drfinn wrote:
Jefferoni wrote:
I dunno...I think Biblios Dice is rated much lower because it just came out last year, and Biblios was released in 2007. Average rating is comparable (7.03 vs 7.25), but while Biblios has been rated over 8000 times, Biblios Dice only has about 250 votes.

I like them both for very different reasons. I probably prefer Biblios slightly, but only because it seems simpler and less fiddly. But I do like the dimension that dice adds to the game (Biblios Dice) - very fun.


It's also because Biblios has sold over 20K copies because it is published by a much larger company than mine. I only had 1000 copies of Biblios Dice made or so.


And may it continue to sell. Biblios should IMO be a staple card game like Tichu or cribbage etc.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ekhardt
United States
Gamaliel
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like biblios dice, get Cosmic run... Biblios dice meets press your luck with a great space theme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. I've played it over 10 times and it's always fun, tense and plays quick. The original may be the better game btw the two, ( I played it once and was very impressed), but have never really felt the urge to buy it because I love chucking dice and this one gives me all I need Biblios related. Excellent game! I guess am playing it tomorrow then! Thanks for a great review and hopefully more peeps look into this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
I love this game. I've played it over 10 times and it's always fun, tense and plays quick. The original may be the better game btw the two, ( I played it once and was very impressed), but have never really felt the urge to buy it because I love chucking dice and this one gives me all I need Biblios related. Excellent game! I guess am playing it tomorrow then! Thanks for a great review and hopefully more peeps look into this.


Your more than welcome Ozzy.

Arthur
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ekhardt
United States
Gamaliel
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do love this game. I like the dice selection and I like the improvements over scripts and scribes dice. It has great balance and strategy and it saddens me that this and so many other dr. Finn's games aren't big hits like Biblios.

I was really fortunate to get one of the few remaining power dice bonus expansions from Doc Finn, and then further lucky enough to score another one with a board from an auction on this site, so now both my copies have the mini expansion which is great.

You really cant miss with a Dr. Finn game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slothflyer wrote:
I really do love this game. I like the dice selection and I like the improvements over scripts and scribes dice. It has great balance and strategy and it saddens me that this and so many other dr. Finn's games aren't big hits like Biblios.

I was really fortunate to get one of the few remaining power dice bonus expansions from Doc Finn, and then further lucky enough to score another one with a board from an auction on this site, so now both my copies have the mini expansion which is great.

You really cant miss with a Dr. Finn game.


Thanks. I'll keep plugging away and keep growing my business. Perhaps someday a major distributor will again want to carry my games. In the meantime, I'll just keeping doing what I'm doing -- using Kickstarter to fund my games and then selling to individuals after the fact.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slothflyer wrote:
and it saddens me that this and so many other dr. Finn's games aren't big hits like Biblios.


I personally would love to have one big hit like Biblios.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ARTHUR REILLY
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had a chance to see his new game called:

"Cosmic Run". Opinions or comments would be more than welcome.

Arthur
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ekhardt
United States
Gamaliel
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot, it looks a bit in setup like biblios dice. It is a climbing game with a press your luck element and a lot of dice mitigation. it plays quick also. very fun, good strategy, worth the $$.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.