Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mage Wars Academy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Guarding action clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Black
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi there,
I've confused myself a bit here, any help appreciated.

When we make a creature a guard, we add a guard token, then having exhausted its action for this turn, from a choice to attack or guard, we turn it sideways to indicate it had its go, so unless melee attacked, it retains its token until next round when we remove the token and turn it back upright to activate it again. So far so good, but on page 13 of the manual it says:

"Note that if the creature is active, it will remain active, even after being attacked and losing its guard marker. This will allow it to still activate that round, and thus it could choose to attack or guard (again!)."

However if its already used its action that round to become a guard, how can it still be active? How is it possible to be both active (card upright) and a guard (card sideways to show inactive)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackartz wrote:
Hi there,
I've confused myself a bit here, any help appreciated.

When we make a creature a guard, we add a guard token, then having exhausted its action for this turn, from a choice to attack or guard, we turn it sideways to indicate it had its go, so unless melee attacked, it retains its token until next round when we remove the token and turn it back upright to activate it again. So far so good, but on page 13 of the manual it says:

"Note that if the creature is active, it will remain active, even after being attacked and losing its guard marker. This will allow it to still activate that round, and thus it could choose to attack or guard (again!)."

However if its already used its action that round to become a guard, how can it still be active? How is it possible to be both active (card upright) and a guard (card sideways to show inactive)?


You don't remove guard tokens at the start of a round. You only remove a guard token from a creature when you activate it (or when it is melee attacked).

Also, I don't think Academy currently has such cards, but a card could potentially allow you to place a guard token on a creature without exhausting it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad T
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
Also, I don't think Academy currently has such cards, but a card could potentially allow you to place a guard token on a creature without exhausting it.
Both Packleadear's cowl and Priestess special ability allow You to place guard markers on creatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Black
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Right, of course. That makes more sense, I just got a bit muddled with the activation terminology! Thank you

And I'd not noticed that ability on the Packleader's Cowl, my son only ever plays as the Beastmaster, I'm not allowed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Blackartz wrote:
Hi there,
I've confused myself a bit here, any help appreciated.

When we make a creature a guard, we add a guard token, then having exhausted its action for this turn, from a choice to attack or guard, we turn it sideways to indicate it had its go, so unless melee attacked, it retains its token until next round when we remove the token and turn it back upright to activate it again. So far so good, but on page 13 of the manual it says:

"Note that if the creature is active, it will remain active, even after being attacked and losing its guard marker. This will allow it to still activate that round, and thus it could choose to attack or guard (again!)."

However if its already used its action that round to become a guard, how can it still be active? How is it possible to be both active (card upright) and a guard (card sideways to show inactive)?


Something I don't understand if I have an active character on my turn I use it to guard so he becomes inactive if nobody attacks him do you mean that he becomes active again but still has the guard on him? I. E. I can attack the next turn and also guard?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I'm sorry but I am still a little confused does this mean on my action phase I can set a creature on guard making him inactive then if not attacked, after the reset phase I get to take an attack action and also guard? Because I didn't get attacked last action phase? I hope I make sense?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barmace wrote:
I'm sorry but I am still a little confused does this mean on my action phase I can set a creature on guard making him inactive then if not attacked, after the reset phase I get to take an attack action and also guard? Because I didn't get attacked last action phase? I hope I make sense?


Guard tokens get removed when either you get attacked or that you activate the creature (so attacking with the creature remove the guard token).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barmace Drachewolf
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thank you Jonathan. What is confusing is this line....


"Note that if the creature is active, it will remain active, even after being attacked and losing its guard marker. This will allow it to still activate that round, and thus it could choose to attack or guard (again!)."

Edit, I think I got it

on the action I turn my creature card, I put a guard token on it. I don't get attacked. on upkeep I turn my card to the ready status keeping the guard token on. If I get attacked (melee) I remove the guard token, and take the damage, I counter-attack, and I am able to also attack because, the Guard was used on my defense and my card does not get turned when I get attacked, I can now use that card to attack?

I think that is correct? and the verbage make sense.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Round N:
- Creature A takes the Guard action, and thus gains a Guard marker.
- If another creature melee attacks Creature A, it loses its Guard marker and may perform a Counterstrike.

Round N+1:
- Creature A gets its action marker flipped up during the Reset Phase. Any Guard marker assigned to it is NOT removed.
- If another creature melee attacks Creature A, if it still has a Guard marker assigned, it loses its Guard marker and may perform a Counterstrike.
- When Creature A is activated (e.g. action marker flipped down), remove any remaining Guard markers assigned to it. Then take action(s) as normal (including movement, attacks, Guard action, etc).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.