Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

My regular group has 5 players and we all are Lovecraft fans.

So, do you think this games is playable with 5 players? Do I need to do something at the set up to accomodate the 5th player?

I read at the rulebook that the number of clube cards are relevant to set the difficult of the game, being tied to number of turns. For 4 players, easy would be 6 turns, standard 5 and expert 4 turns per player.

By using the 44 clube cards in the game plus 4 evil stirs + 10 relics (per on the Brink rules for 5 players) the players deck would consist of 48 cards after giving 2 per player, wich will result in 5 turnos per player, excepto the last one (standard difficult)

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for this game the player count has more to do with the size of the map. The game might be too easy with 5 players when there's a total of 36 locations (I think). It might work though. Maybe someone who owns the game can give 5 players a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of you should play for the dark side and each turn they get to do something to make it harder for everyone else. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:
I think for this game the player count has more to do with the size of the map. The game might be too easy with 5 players when there's a total of 36 locations (I think). It might work though. Maybe someone who owns the game can give 5 players a shot.

I think there are 24 locations (6 in each town), which is half of regular pandemic. But original Pandemic has 48 player cards. PRoC has 44 clue cards, and sets difficult not by increasing the number of evil stirs, like original pandemic, but by decreasing the number of player turnos with fewer clube cards at the deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Have you tried this? I may if we have 5 next time. The issue with using so many relics is that you need Relics as rewards for killing Shoggoths- if you remove that does any bonus come from killing Shoggoths?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It came as out that we never tried =\ they get worried that it would turn the game too easy (but I disagree, to me the game gets harder with more players).

I agree with you about the shoggoth reward question. Maybe removing the reward could be something to balance rhings out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:
Have you tried this? I may if we have 5 next time. The issue with using so many relics is that you need Relics as rewards for killing Shoggoths- if you remove that does any bonus come from killing Shoggoths?

After reading your comment, I tryed to elaborate some house rules for playing with 5 players. They would be like this:

According to the rulebook, the number of Clue cards at the Player Deck is relevant to determine the difficulty of the game, being also tied to the number of player turns. For 4 players, easy difficulty take 6 turns; standard, 5; and advanced, 4 turns per player.

When using all 44 Clue cards, plus 4 "evil stirs", plus 7 relics (regular rules dictate to use 4/5/6 relics for games with 2/3/4 players, then 7 relics for 5 players seems correct to me), the Player Deck would have 50 cards, after dealing 1 initial Clue card for each player (instead of regular 2), which would give 5 turns per player, ie standard difficulty.

The setup would be as follows:
- Shuffle the clue cards and give 1 card to each player (each player will start at the bus station of the correspondent clue card city, which makes more sense to me that everyone starting together in the same place, always in Arkham).
- Shuffle the relic cards and separate 5 of them to serve as reward for eliminating Shoggoths (or for the Magician’s bonus card). Shuffle the other 7 relic cards along with clue cards.
- Separate this set into 4 equal stacks and add 1 "evil stirs" card to each stack, and shuffle each pile individually and then place one on top of the other.
- Divide this set of cards into four facedown piles, as equal in size as you can. Shuffle 1 Evil Stirs card into each pile, facedown. On the space provided for it, stack these piles to form the Player deck.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
! I missed that about the number of relics going up by player count- I've been making it too easy on our 2 investigator games.

This sounds perfect, but there are two issues- In some games, its possible to have 6 shoggoths spawned (1 initial + 4 evil stirs + 1 Hastur). In this scenario, we would need 6 relics as possible rewards...

Now that I think about it, its possible this will come up in the normal 4 investigator game with the Magician- since he takes 1 relic from the supply, that means that only 5 relics remain, causing a potential issue when players manage to successfully eliminate all 6 shoggoths. I should check if the rules account for this.

Secondly, starting locations sound fun, but I don't know that it's needed for this. It seems like a fun option for any player count. Also, It is possible to have no clue cards in hand. Should a player who draws two relics instead spawn at the Train Station, or can they choose any bus station?

And separately, on turn counts, I'd like to look at the spread of how many turns per player as well as how many total turns are available for each player count. Total turns is used in some other co-ops to determine game over. Masmorra did this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
! I missed that about the number of relics going up by player count- I've been making it too easy on our 2 investigator games.

2 investigators games are already easier than games with more investigators.

This sounds perfect, but there are two issues- In some games, its possible to have 6 shoggoths spawned (1 initial + 4 evil stirs + 1 Hastur). In this scenario, we would need 6 relics as possible rewards...

Now that I think about it, its possible this will come up in the normal 4 investigator game with the Magician- since he takes 1 relic from the supply, that means that only 5 relics remain, causing a potential issue when players manage to successfully eliminate all 6 shoggoths. I should check if the rules account for this.

Well, the options are: reward relics until they are gone. When they were gone give no reward; or, when they are gone, suffle the discarded relics (I think option 1 is better).

Secondly, starting locations sound fun, but I don't know that it's needed for this. It seems like a fun option for any player count. Also, It is possible to have no clue cards in hand. Should a player who draws two relics instead spawn at the Train Station, or can they choose any bus station?

I liked the random starting location too, but remember that in this house rule, the clue cards are given to players before adding relic cards, so all of them will receive a location clue card.

And separately, on turn counts, I'd like to look at the spread of how many turns per player as well as how many total turns are available for each player count. Total turns is used in some other co-ops to determine game over. Masmorra did this.

I did the math in a notepad to calculate this house rule, but it is fairly simple. I think letting players know how many turns they have puts an extra pressure opon the investigators shoulders (in a cool way), since it gives the impression they are running agains the clock to close portals (maybe think about it: the star will alignate at midnight, so we have to run and stop cultists before this moment... Or something like this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Ah I hadn't caught the clue card dealing at the beginning. That's neat!

I would also go with no reward for the last shoggoth or two- I mean they're doing too well in that case anyway lol.

I think the math looks good- The next time I have 5 I'll try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah I hadn't caught the clue card dealing at the beginning. That's neat!

I would also go with no reward for the last shoggoth or two- I mean they're doing too well in that case anyway lol.

I think the math looks good- The next time I have 5 I'll try it out!

Thanks!
I'll try it too, and post the report here.
If you try it, I would love to rear your report too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.