Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Rosen
United States
Wimauma
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I admit that I have a problem with understanding instructions. Would someone please explain to me in simple words, which wooden pieces get which stickers in On the Underground.

I see there are basically two groups of stickers: one set of multi-colored stickers (most of which have green in them)called scoring markers and a second set of grey-brown stickers for connection and branch tokens. The instructions refer only to thick and thin wooden disks.

From what I can see, the thin colored wooden pieces are two small to put any sticker on. There are also large plain wood cylinders and smaller circular plain wooded pieces.

When the instructions refer to thick and thin pices do they mean the longer vs. the shorter plain wood cylinders? If so, do you put a sticker on both the top and bottom of each wooden piece?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
nmrosen wrote:
From what I can see, the thin colored wooden pieces are two small to put any sticker on.

The four thin wood pieces are the destination pawns. They do not have any stickers attached to them.

nmrosen wrote:
When the instructions refer to thick and thin pices do they mean the longer vs. the shorter plain wood cylinders?

Yes (assuming I understand you correctly).

nmrosen wrote:
If so, do you put a sticker on both the top and bottom of each wooden piece?

No, you put one sticker on the top, and the other end remains blank. (However, as there are more branch tokens than it's likely you'll need in practice, some people have choosen to have half the number of branch tokens but with stickers on both sides)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of interest Sebastian, why didn't the player markers get a sticker at each end, one end for the 4/5 player game and the other for the 2 and 3 player games, that would have saved some counters.

As a budding designer, I wondered if component cost was not that important overall then?

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
Just out of interest Sebastian, why didn't the player markers get a sticker at each end, one end for the 4/5 player game and the other for the 2 and 3 player games, that would have saved some counters.

As a budding designer, I wondered if component cost was not that important overall then?

I wasn't directly involved in the costings, however I suspect that the answer is something along the lines of the following:

In any game, you want to choose componants so that the play experience is as good as possible, while the cost is as low as possible. So, let's weigh up the pros and cons of decreasing the number of cylinders by five:

Not having the 5 extra cylinders doesn't decrease the price much because we need to have cylinders already, so we've already got the cost of someone counting them, and given the other wooden pieces already in the game, the material cost is not huge.

Not having the 5 extra cylinders adds a good chunk of complexity to working out the stickering arrangements. People might get it wrong, in which case their game is unplayable, or spend ages trying to work out how to arrange the stickers. It also may cause confusion when trying to find the scoring counters initially. This does not help people's opinion of the game.

So, by adding in the cylinders, we have a slight cost increase causing an improvement in the overall player experience. The latter was felt to be the more important, so the cylinders remained one-sided. Likewise, the number of branch tokens could have been halved based on the playtesting. However, as some groups may take much more branch-token heavy strategies, it was decided to have a higher number to accomodate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good answer! Thanks Sebastian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion - for the Passenger Tokens, it would be nice to have a a "Gold End" (to match the express destination cards) and "White End" (to match the local destination cards) to make is easy to visually differentiate them. That would have added four gold stickers, but hey, you can't think of everything!

As we got none, I am improvising on mine - easy enough and it makes it a LOT easier to explain to folks so they can easily see which ones to use each turn.

Great game - so worth that little bit of effort! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Suggestion - for the Passenger Tokens, it would be nice to have a a "Gold End" (to match the express destination cards) and "White End" (to match the local destination cards) to make is easy to visually differentiate them. That would have added four gold stickers, but hey, you can't think of everything!

As we got none, I am improvising on mine - easy enough and it makes it a LOT easier to explain to folks so they can easily see which ones to use each turn.

Great game - so worth that little bit of effort! cool

Wow, that sounds like it would make things easier. Good thing I'm a miniature gamer too, I think I'll get some paints out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:

I completely agree. It's one of those ideas which is *so* obvious in retrospect, but we just didn't think of it when we were putting the game together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Rosen
United States
Wimauma
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the response but I am still confused.

As I count, there are 11 round wood pieces that are of double thickness and 29 round pieces of single thickness.

There are 21 gray track stickers and there are 18 stickers that have various colored symbols on them plus a single sticker that says "underground".

So there are a total of 40 combined round pieces and 40 stickers.

I realize I must be anal, but please tell me which stickers go on which round pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nmrosen wrote:
Thank you for the response but I am still confused.

As I count, there are 11 round wood pieces that are of double thickness and 29 round pieces of single thickness.

There are 21 gray track stickers and there are 18 stickers that have various colored symbols on them plus a single sticker that says "underground".

So there are a total of 40 combined round pieces and 40 stickers.

I realize I must be anal, but please tell me which stickers go on which round pieces?

Let's make this a logic problem for Neal:

There are 21 branch token stickers and 29 thin discs--so I would bet that all 21 go onto the this discs. That leaves 8 thin discs.

Examining the other stickers reveals there are 8 that are primarily green (There are 4 pairs each with a matching symbol on them: computer, glass, briefcase,camera)--these tokens are placed on the map to determine the stations for the 3 point connection bonus.

That leaves 11 thick tokens and 11 stickers. 10 have combinations of colors--these are the score track markers:
- 5 have 2 colors on them--these are used for 4 or 5 player games.
- 3 have 3 colors on them for the 3 player game.
- 2 have 4 colors on them for the 2 player game.

The last thick token, the Underground marker, is simply used indicate who was the first player, since the last player will the player to his right.

As for why have separate 2,3,4/5 scoring markers (and not double side them), I use the 2 color to determine which 2 colors get bagged together.
- For a 4 or 5 player game, I hand them a bag with both of their colors and their scoring marker.
- For 3 players, each player get one bag with 2 of their colors and a second bag to fish out their third color.
- For 2 players, I hand one player the bags for the black/gray and blue/green pieces. The other gets the red/orange bag and has to fish out pink and yellow from their respective bags. (Actually, I substitute purple for yellow--that way I only hand that player two bags as well..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.