Ghost Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: When do haunters advance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

We have played this both ways - that every haunter advances one each players turn (which make for brutally short and losing games) and that each haunter only advances on the board of the active player when the active player's turn begins.

The rules can be understood both ways, and we have debated endlessly about which is correct.

So which is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Haunters only advance on the turn of the board's player (once each round).

edit:
on Page 4 of 1.2 rules (emphasis mine)
"At the beginning of his turn, the active player announces the ghosts present on his board. All their central stone abilities are now applied in the Yin phase... For each haunting ghost present on his board, the player must update the position of the associated Haunting figurine."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I made this same mistake when I first started playing. Had to reread the rules several times before finally getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to you both for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
Haunters only advance on the turn of the board's player (once each round).

Technical note about playing in less than 4 players:
WHEN IT WOULD BE A THE BOARD'S TURN, THEN EVEN FOR NEUTRAL BOARD, THE YIN PHASE IS PARTIALLY PERFORMED:
- Haunters still advance, right first, left last.
- Devourers still eat a villager.
- Tormentors still throw a Curse die (some players throws it as a proxy. The Green's dice-manipulating ability doesn't work, when he throws instead of a neutral board).
The Curse-die-side "Lose all Tao tokens" has no effect for Neutral board, all other effects are performed, if rolled.
- The Neutral board loses Qi, when full. If a Neutral Board is full and with no Qi left to lose, some human player must suffer a Qi loss instead.
- The players can't borrow the ability of Neutral board that has no Qi.
- The Neutral board, when NOT full, DOESN'T bring a new Ghost in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What???.....Wow!.....haunters only advance on one of the four boards?!!??

I had no idea! We've played this game 14 times (won twice) advancing every haunter, every turn. I could really relate to statements about how difficult this game was. I could never understand how people handle more than one incarnation of Wu Feng.

I need to try this again only advancing the haunters of the active board. Haunters suddenly become much less scary and the game just became MUCH easier and a lot less frantic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To everyone who played this wrong: Do you also roll curse die and do all other stuff from middle stone ghosts that are not on your board every turn?? Because that would be consistent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I don't know how the game would even be possible to win with this method D:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.