Spain
Granada
Granada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I don't know if it is normal or it's an print error:

The other side of the gameboard is the same with a black ribbon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just manufacturing tolerances. I don't recall that mine looks like that, but I haven't looked that closely at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A small glitch.
Note that it's not a printing problem: it's just that the paper that wraps around the board wasn't affixed *exactly* where it should have been -- which is VERY hard to do.

Basically, the board on the right should have been wrapped and glued to the cardboard maybe a mm more to the left.
(Or the opposite on the other board)

I can understand how it may annoy you, but I have very seldom seen multi-piece boards get this exactly right. It happens all the time, even with long-established publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Wood
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree here. This is just a minor error. I understand how it is annoying but getting that right on the money is pretty hard to do. I do speak from experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChicken wrote:
Definitely normal.

normal of acceptable? Mine looks just fine, but I would be (a little) disappointed if my maps looked like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it is so hard to guarantee manufacturing this alignment correctly, it would make sense to design the board so that critical features with clean edges (like the blue circle) don't overlap to the next board. The more generic/background areas won't show the misalignment as obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litespeed Rider wrote:
Since it is so hard to guarantee manufacturing this alignment correctly, it would make sense to design the board so that critical features with clean edges (like the blue circle) don't overlap to the next board. The more generic/background areas won't show the misalignment as obviously.

True, but then you'd get people complaining that "hey, that blue circle is not centered the way it should be!"
There's just no way to please everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is strange. My suggestion was to flip it over but it looks like you already tried the back side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
Mine looks the same as the OP's image, perhaps even a hair more misaligned. I agree that it's a bit of a shame that it isn't perfectly aligned, but I also understand from a manufacturing perspective that that level of accuracy would be intolerably expensive/impossible for something mass produced like this.

That being said, I've played a couple of games on the extended board, and while the misalignment is quite noticeable in an intentional visual scan of the board, it's basically invisible during the course of play while one is actually focused on playing and not inspecting the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
antoi wrote:
GamerChicken wrote:
Definitely normal.

normal of acceptable? Mine looks just fine, but I would be (a little) disappointed if my maps looked like this.

As someone mentioned, it's within the manufacturing tolerances that one would expect from something that is mass produced separately like that. For example, I have Carcassonne pieces that don't line up exactly but are so close it's hardly noticeable. I would say this falls into that same category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no clue if mine has this printing error, I've played on the extended board once and never noticed. I did notice though that the image/paper was pulling away from the board. I took a toothpick, a bit of glue and applied it under the paper and smoothed it back down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on the expansion board 4 times and hadn't noticed this error, and I played as Nordic in each of those games

I'll have to check it next time I have that board set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can always cut the expansion board. it just needs a little trim, around 2mm, then it will fit perfectly
Preferabbly using some sort of guillotine, scissors will just make a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?

I don't see anything wrong with this, it's almost impossible to get two boards to line up perfectly. They're both printed separately and they're both different sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt I'd have even noticed that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find puzzling is that actually both sides of the extended board have prints on them. Why is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey stated that since there was no other back side, they did both the same to give them twice the chance of aligning perfectly. Obviously, that isn't always going to work out.

As I stated before, the OP's picture looks like just manufacturing tolerances. It certainly does not impair game play, and that's what is really important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd rather have this then what I have now. I have half a cm or more black space. Perhaps I should cut it, but I don't want to ruin the extended board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsiefken wrote:
I'd rather have this then what I have now. I have half a cm or more black space. Perhaps I should cut it, but I don't want to ruin the extended board

Try the other side of the extended board. I have the same on the backside! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hemeltje lief, you are so right Thaddeus, how could we have missed that? We just accepted it, but I was not to happy about it. You made my day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, one side of my board isn't lined up great, but the other side is about as close to perfect as I could ask for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not checked my board. CBA. To be honest, I'd be quite surprised if it did line up exactly.

As to how hard it is to get right, anyone with compaints is welcome to try wallpapering a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is perfect !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
Mine is perfect !!

Mine as well. I remembered this thread and specifically looked at my last session. Couldn't ask for a better match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.