Subject: Confused about intrigue action cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Brockway

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm reading a bit too literally, but the intrigue cards are confusing me. From page 4 of the rules:

Quote:
The Castillo is not a region. When the rules or cards mention a "region" or "regions," the Castillo is excluded.

From page 9 (clarifying rules for Intrigue cards):

Quote:
You are not restricted to those regions neighboring the King's region. You may move Caballeros to any region (except the King's region) or into the Castillo.

So this provides good clarity for some of the Intrigue cards, for example:

Quote:
You may move 3 Caballeros

I believe you can move them to any region or the Castillo. But what about this card:

Quote:
You may place 2 additional Caballeros from your Court into the region(s) of your choice.

When I saw that card I just assumed that didn't include the Castillo because it's not a region and we're not moving, we're placing. When I read through the rules it said you could in fact put those Caballeros in the Castillo.

Finally, we have this card:

Quote:
Choose a region. You may move 5 Caballeros from this region to other regions.

There's no clarification in the rules so I'm not sure how to treat this... it seems the region you select can't be the Castillo (it's not a region) but, to that end, you shouldn't be able to move them to the Castillo either (it's not a region). However, other cards refer to region but allow you to place in the Castillo...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the intrigue card says region, then you are restricted to a region and may not move into the Castillo. However, if it only says "Move" without specifying "region," then it can move into the Castillo. (Of course, you can't ever move anything out of the Castillo as stated on page 4.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Brockway

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with your interpretation of the Big Box rules (as they're stated), however, I spent some time last night looking through the El Grande forums, older rulebooks, etc. and I think the intent is that all Intrigue cards allow you to move Caballeros into the Castillo, similarly, all stack 2 cards (except Special Scoring) affect all your opponents.

I'll be playing for the first time tonight and I'm going to allow all Intrigue cards to move Caballeros into the Castillo. It would be great to get some clarity on the point made on page 4 regarding the Castillo not being a region... for now, I'm going to assume that applies everywhere except for the stack 1 Intrigue cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.