Subject: Coop Con - Is this a good idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Distad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've had this idea for a while now - I'd like to build a convention dedicated to Coop gaming. I'm a very big fan of coop gaming and I know there are others fans out there. Coop gaming at gaming cons has been a fantastic way to meet new people and to try out new coop games.

I know that building and running a convention is a lot of hard work, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there to see if there was interest - or if there is already a coop gaming convention out there I don't know about.

Is this idea completely crazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you want a convention to be successful you need to include all types of gaming and not just co-operative gaming.

What I would suggest is that instead of a whole convention, why not approach a local convention in your area to run a portion (or a room) within the convention dedicated to co-op gaming? It would give you the same feel - and allow you to enjoy sharing the co-op experience with people - without having to deal with all the logistics of the rest of the convention planning.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Distad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Anthony - I do like that idea and may try it out. The difficulty I see initially is that my local game con tends to schedule games based on where they have space - to try to sequester co-op games into a separate room might be an extra burden they don't need - but I can always ask.

One additional note - I don't want to misrepresent my idea - I foresee the con as having space for all types of gaming, but I want the con to specifically highlight and attract fans of co-op gaming. So, for example, instead of holding competitive tournaments, we would do something like run a game of Pandemic Legacy through all 12 months during the course of the Con. But it would also be cool to have tables running Five Tribes and the like as well.

Again, this is just an idea - and if it's an idea without sufficient appeal then I can let it go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe start with a co-op focused game night? (which is something I've wanted to do too).

I think a lot of people go to conventions for variety, vendors, or those 'con games' that either take a lot of time or a lot of people. (And of course to see their gaming friends!)
So a co-op only con would be a tough sell, I think. A co-op night, or 'Co-op Corner' in the con, might have better success.

A co-op night at an open gaming venue - one where non-gamers tend to come - could be eye opening to a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers, Winter Game Fest, etc.
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
edistad wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Anthony - I do like that idea and may try it out. The difficulty I see initially is that my local game con tends to schedule games based on where they have space - to try to sequester co-op games into a separate room might be an extra burden they don't need - but I can always ask. :)

I run a couple of small cons (300+ gamers) in the DC Metro area. I doubt an entire con dedicated to co-op games would be successful, but I'd be delighted to have an enthusiastic volunteer put together a schedule of co-op games to add to the schedule of any of my cons.

To ensure your local con management embraces the idea, show con management that:
1. Sufficient demand exists. Assemble a list of gamers who are keen to play.
2. You can manage and promote your events yourself, without expecting con management to recruit and register players for you. A detailed draft plan would say a lot about your ability to follow through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Maybe start with a co-op focused game night? (which is something I've wanted to do too).

I think a lot of people go to conventions for variety, vendors, or those 'con games' that either take a lot of time or a lot of people. (And of course to see their gaming friends!)
So a co-op only con would be a tough sell, I think. A co-op night, or 'Co-op Corner' in the con, might have better success.

A co-op night at an open gaming venue - one where non-gamers tend to come - could be eye opening to a lot of people.

Well, I've gone to cons to do only "regular bg".... euros, co-ops, DBG, worker placement, etc. However, now that I think about it, this sort of preference does seem to lend itself to having enough content and attendees just for that.

I'd go with the game night too just to test the waters and "warm up". I was quite fond how some of my bg Meetups did themed or specific game nights every now and then. For example, Asian games, zombie games, 2p games (2p only or game that can also be played 2p and done only at that, like Power Grid or Agricola), co-op game night, semi-co-op (with traitors, epic 3+ hour games, DBG, worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.