Subject: Simple variants... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two rules variants that could possibly make the game better. Keep in mind that these variants are limited to the four dice included in the game, so I had to get a little tricky...

1. When attacking a unit's rear or flank, you get a bonus reroll.
Note - You cannot reroll Panics, only misses. Panic occurs as normal.
A. Flank attacks get one reroll of a "miss" die.
B. Rear attacks get two rerolls of "miss" dice.

Example: A stand of gold Knights (two knights) charges into the rear of a silver Infantry unit. The usual four dice are rolled, and the results are two Battle-Axes and two Arrows. The attacker gets to reroll the two Arrows (misses) and gets another Battle-Ax and a Panic. The defender removes three Infantrymen from his stand.

This simulates the overwhelming menace and potential demoralization caused by someone attacking (i.e., "rolling") a flank or smashing into the unprotected rear of a unit. As you can see, a tightly packed army may be routed easily if one unit is Panicked and "chains" the units around it. surprise

2. When more than one army's unit is adjacent to and facing an enemy unit, a bonus die roll is given to the attacking unit. This bonus "stacks" (i.e., for every additional adjacent unit, another die is rolled).

Example: The stand of gold Knights mentioned earlier has exposed itself by making that glorious but foolhardy charge. It is now surrounded by three stands of silver Infantry. These Infantry stands are all adjacent to the Knights and after the just-attacked Infantry turns around (using the player's first action), are all facing the Knights. A full stand of four Infantry attacks (using the player's second action). They roll their usual four dice and then reroll an extra die for each friendly unit adjacent to the Knights. There are two friendly Infantry units, so two extra dice are rolled. The first four dice rolled are Two Battle-Axes, a Panic, and an Arrow. The player rolls two more dice for two more Battle-Axes. The Knights are destroyed and removed from the board!

This variant simulates how overwhelming numbers can crush a unit. angry

Combining these two variants can drastically change the complexity of the game. Even adding just one variant increases the game's difficulty.

Final Note - Heroscape and Heroquest dice work for this game.
Skulls = Battle-Axes
Shields = Arrows
Blank = Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Chazot
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these changes. One question though; would the flank attack bonus apply to archers as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.