Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about changing Super Strength from 'treat all melee weapons as 3 damage.' to 'Treat all melee weapons as damage equal to your danger level.'

So a hammer at blue would do 1 damage not 2, all weapons would do 2 at yellow (slightly worse then +1 damage melee) but at orange and above it would work as it does currently, so only Xuxa would actually be affected by the change.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea and I will use it!

Thanks meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melriken wrote:
I was thinking about changing Super Strength from 'treat all melee weapons as 3 damage.' to 'Treat all melee weapons as damage equal to your danger level.'

So a hammer at blue would do 1 damage not 2, all weapons would do 2 at yellow (slightly worse then +1 damage melee) but at orange and above it would work as it does currently, so only Xuxa would actually be affected by the change.

Thoughts?

I like the thought behind it, but I honestly think it is a bad implementation. So superstrength is actually a detriment at blue (lowering the Damage of some melee weapons?) That just seems wrong and makes it even worse than Swordmaster (probably the most worthless skill in the game) in Blue.

Why not simply say it confers damage 2 in blue/yellow and damage 3 in orange/red?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it does not make any sense to have a skill at blue level that only gives you an advantage, after reaching higher levels. what is the benefit of having that skill at blue level then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, we just treat it as +1 Damage Melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
msg tools
Normalize Superstrength with other skills. Jump on board the bandwagon.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598212/my-house-rules-new-...

/end solicitation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bone White wrote:
Personally, we just treat it as +1 Damage Melee.
I was going to do this but I wanted it to be a different skill, and for the characters with it at red it should work as originally designed...

Likely I will use the above proposal but optional (so you don't get punished at blue, but it still doesn't do anything). Making it almost as good as +1 damage at yellow and better at orange and red.

As for what the point is... You pay in blue for a significant boost in orange (and red). There is a cost at blue, but there is a payoff at orange... I am okay with that and will be testing it as outlined in the OP, shifting to optional if it feels too bad at blue.
LX1986 wrote:
it does not make any sense to have a skill at blue level that only gives you an advantage, after reaching higher levels. what is the benefit of having that skill at blue level then?
It is good at yellow, not great but good. At orange it is great. And you can't gain it at yellow, so if you want to kill fatties at yellow with it you need to pay at blue (it is unlikely to actually matter at blue, other then you won't be chosen to start with the hammer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melriken wrote:

Thoughts?

Why change nature of a skill or the skills of a character? If you want to use poweful characters, add more powerful Zs or more difficult objectives to the scenarios. Or, if there isn't a character who has the skills you want, then create a custom character. Less confusing and more consistent, in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Melriken wrote:

Thoughts?

Why change nature of a skill or the skills of a character? If you want to use poweful characters, add more powerful Zs or more difficult objectives to the scenarios. Or, if there isn't a character who has the skills you want, then create a custom character. Less confusing and more consistent, in the long run.
I don't want to ban a character, and I don't want a rule that says 'if you pick one of these then this happens' and have people either never pick the offending characters or all pick one of them because the penalty doesn't stack or something like that. But in the end I suspect a part part of why boils down to... 'Something in the game is broken and I want to fix it'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.