Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The book requirements for buying buildings are clear. Under the building description, however, the book restriction isn't mentioned.

Do you need to follow the books restriction for building as well?

(Note: I've seen the other thread regarding this, so if you commented there, there's no need to answer here as well. I'm hoping for an official clarification from Ryan.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe you should try contacting Ryan directly then if you intend to make a forum thread where only you and he participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Maybe you should try contacting Ryan directly then if you intend to make a forum thread where only you and he participate.

Nah, I figured I would be nice and let people know I had read the other responses (i.e., done my homework) and that there's no need to repeat yourself here. In other words, if you replied before to this question, I was saving some of you some time.

Also, I was hoping to hear some new perspectives instead of a re-hash of the same discussion.

And I figured that starting a fresh thread might be a good way to get this answered directly by the designer, as the last thread's discussion had a subject line that was somewhat vague: "Mistakes in the Rules Page 17."

Finally, I did contact the designer directly in addition to this post. Here is the private email I sent him earlier:

"Hi, Ryan.

It was great to meet you briefly at GenCon this year. We just played our first game of Islebound, and we needed an important clarification.

The book requirements for buying buildings are clear. Under the building description, however, the book restriction isn't mentioned. Do you need to follow the books restriction for building as well, or does "building" allow you to ignore the books?

I posted the question on BGG as well, so feel free to post your answer there, or if you respond to my email, I'll get your reply posted on my thread for all to see.

Thanks, Ryan!

-- Scott Bogen"

So much for good intentions. The perpetually offended will always find a way.

- Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd love to see an official response, so if you get one, post here, thanks!

At the same time, as per the consensus on the other thread, I'm about 99% certain that 'buy' and 'build' should work exactly the same way - both have the book requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:

At the same time, as per the consensus on the other thread, I'm about 99% certain that 'buy' and 'build' should work exactly the same way - both have the book requirement.

I'm also hopeful for an official response, because we've been playing it that the book requirement is only for purchasing buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:

Will do. Last night we thought you could make an argument that collecting enough wood and fish and then spending a Visit action may be more laborious than the free buy action, and so therefore may not be restricted by the books. We'll see. Wish I knew. My daughter and I are setting up to play right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
maxlongstreet wrote:

I'm also hopeful for an official response, because we've been playing it that the book requirement is only for purchasing buildings.

Good to hear I'm not the only one playing it that way. It is how it is written after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BogenBlitz wrote:
maxlongstreet wrote:

Will do. Last night we thought you could make an argument that collecting enough wood and fish and then spending a Visit action may be more laborious than the free buy action, and so therefore may not be restricted by the books. We'll see. Wish I knew. My daughter and I are setting up to play right now.

This was part of our rationale as well. A buy action is a free action. You pay coins, meet the book requirement (if any), and that's it. It can be done in addition to a regular action. To build requires an action, plus spending resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
To build requires an action, plus spending resources.

And requires the player to have navigated to a certain, specific location after acquiring the resources, which the Buy action does not require. So why would a Build action also require books, since the requirements for one (Build) vs. the other (Buy) are totally different?

It *is* odd that the same paragraph is located in the book in two places, though, in regards to the Buy action. So I could see arguments both ways, the books says X, but might imply Y.

All that said, subscribed and hoping to hear from Ryan on this.

Meanwhile, how are folks liking the game?

~Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Sizzla wrote:

And requires the player to have navigated to a certain, specific location after acquiring the resources, which the Buy action does not require. So why would a Build action also require books, since the requirements for one (Build) vs. the other (Buy) are totally different?

It *is* odd that the same paragraph is located in the book in two places, though, in regards to the Buy action. So I could see arguments both ways, the books says X, but might imply Y.

~Steve

Our first game was a blast! (Yeah, that is exactly right regarding that paragraph's inclusion. That certainly does have implications that the books may apply in both cases, though I do sort of hope you can ignore the books for building, which adds some additional strategic paths.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OchreOgre wrote:
Sizzla wrote:

~Steve

You may have misunderstood me, since we seem to be taking the same stance. The action you take to build comes as a result of the build action at Stratic. I agree that it's odd that the buy paragraph is there again after the build section. It certainly creates ambiguity. It is possible that this is there to indicate that theoretically you could travel to Stratic, use your action to spend resources to build a building, and then as a free action buy one or more buildings with coins. For this free buy action, you would be subject to the books restriction.

Oh, and I'm loving the game. Just need a few more plays to determine where I think it ranks among the Laukat hierarchy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the official answer from Ryan:

"Both Building and Buying require that you have books if you want access to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th buildings in the row."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BogenBlitz wrote:
Here is the official answer from Ryan:

"Both Building and Buying require that you have books if you want access to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th buildings in the row."

Thanks for the official answer! It wasn't the one I was hoping for, but now we know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BogenBlitz wrote:
maxlongstreet wrote:

Buying buildings does not generally increase your score, since the money you spend is usually equal to the renown you gain. Using the build action does increase your score, which is why it is more restricted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense! You get to keep the coins -- which translate into victory points at game's end -- PLUS you get the value of the building itself. That was sort of lost on me before. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you spent arguably more actions than were needed to amass the coins. Come to think of it, when you include the action to build, you almost certainly took more actions. It's clearly not as good as buying the buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.