United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about you guys but I've had about enough of the Deuce vs Turd Sandwich election for a little bit at least...

Did you watch it?
Did you like it?
What was your favorite part(s)?

My favorite part was when "God" appears at the church right through to the end of the season finale. Love how all hell breaks loose because god is missing. (the ole "without God" moral argument come to life.) It was evocative of the "Knock it off" God appearance in MP Holy Grail.

"The only god is the God of Meat!"

Have to say I loved it! It's not very often that I watch a show and have absolutely no clue where it's headed. Definitely looking forward to another season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from a 60ish issue comic book series and is following it sort of closely so far.

I saw most the episodes but it was work. I don't really enjoy it.

Haven't seen the series finale yet because the series wasn't good enough to keep me from reducing my cable (it was up to $205 a month and that's crazy. Back down to $70 a month for cable and internet now. $135 a month- A low end new car every decade or more boardgames than I could play or an extra vacation every two years.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
This is from a 60ish issue comic book series and is following it sort of closely so far.

I saw most the episodes but it was work. I don't really enjoy it.

Haven't seen the series finale yet because the series wasn't good enough to keep me from reducing my cable (it was up to $205 a month and that's crazy. Back down to $70 a month for cable and internet now. $135 a month- A low end new car every decade or more boardgames than I could play or an extra vacation every two years.)

If you get the chance it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I watched the first episode and it seemed decent but the second and third were boring and I didn't know what the hell was going on so I stopped watching.

I like that in a show too damn many are predictable. Most of the episodes weren't riveting but they were great in a whaaat! kind of way. The style and strangeness attracted me. It seemed like a shinier version of Michael Palin's films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Fan of the comic and have had to make myself watch to episode 6 or so.

Seems like an incredibly loose adaption unless I'm massively misremembering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
Fan of the comic and have had to make myself watch to episode 6 or so.

Seems like an incredibly loose adaption unless I'm massively misremembering.

I didn't read the comic. They are probably better.

I stopped buying comic books because of the cost back in 1986... Only so many hobby dollars available. I do occasionally pick up anthologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HUMPERDOO!

There is only so much you can get away with on AMC but what I have seen I enjoyed.

Cut out all of Marie and Jody but I was never expecting them to do a direct adaptation, it just would have been absolutely 100% impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
I don't know about you guys but I've had about enough of the Deuce vs Turd Sandwich election for a little bit at least...

Did you watch it?
Did you like it?
What was your favorite part(s)?

My favorite part was when "God" appears at the church right through to the end of the season finale. Love how all hell breaks loose because god is missing. (the ole "without God" moral argument come to life.) It was evocative of the "Knock it off" God appearance in MP Holy Grail.

"The only god is the God of Meat!"

Have to say I loved it! It's not very often that I watch a show and have absolutely no clue where it's headed. Definitely looking forward to another season.

LOVED the show and thought it was very cleverly done. As you say I think the scene with God was about the best, though the whole bit about Preacher sending the kid to Hell and taking a bit to realize what he had done was pretty neat. And then when the kid came back (kinda) -- "Hell's a lot closer than people think, Preacher".

I do think the show was getting mired a bit there towards the end so I'm looking forward to the "quest" theme it appears next season will take up.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you got past the early WTF? episodes and it started to make "sense" it bogged down a little bit. I loved how literal the interpretations were of the "commands". The whole Quincannon Meat and Power thing was awesome. Some of the fore shadowing was only clear latter on (like good fore shadowing does). There were some padding side stories that were meh the CW reenactment guy and his wife for example. I agree as a whole thumbsup thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This first season is more of a prequel to the comic book story. The comics just started at the point the series finished (to avoid spoliers).

This was deliberate to allow viewers an understanding \affinity with the characters. I like how they did the saint of killers subplot.

The fight with the 3rd angel in the motel room was excellent.

edit if you think parts of this were bizarre - if it does follow the comic plot to a greater extent then all you can say is you ain't seen nothing yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominic Cooper's dodgy acting and strange, inconsistent accent, coupled with some rather slow pacing, had me out by Ep 6, and I probably only stayed that long for Joe Gilgun's performance (if you enjoyed him as Cassidy in this, and have not seen him in the "This Is England" films and TV shows, I'd recommend them, for a slice of life in Thatcher's Britain as I remember it...)

I'm still finding "Braindead" amusing though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "strength" of his accent did vary a bit the character is interesting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Got half way through episode 1 and fell into a deep restful slumber for the next 9 hours. Tried again the next evening, same result, halfway in and *POW* -- out like a light. Now I no longer need to take sleeping pills and use a video of gentle pattering rain to help induce a fitful night of unsatisfying, broken sleep.

Thanks AMC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mutton_chops wrote:
Dominic Cooper's dodgy acting and strange, inconsistent accent, coupled with some rather slow pacing, had me out by Ep 6, and I probably only stayed that long for Joe Gilgun's performance (if you enjoyed him as Cassidy in this, and have not seen him in the "This Is England" films and TV shows, I'd recommend them, for a slice of life in Thatcher's Britain as I remember it...)

I'm still finding "Braindead" amusing though...

I'd say if you haven't watched Misfits you should watch that (although the seasons before he joined the cast are better).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Got half way through episode 1 and fell into a deep restful slumber for the next 9 hours. Tried again the next evening, same result, halfway in and *POW* -- out like a light. Now I no longer need to take sleeping pills and use a video of gentle pattering rain to help induce a fitful night of unsatisfying, broken sleep.

Thanks AMC.

It's not for everyone. Do you like any AMC show? Fucking Lions lost (only a pre-season game though )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

Thanks AMC.

It's not for everyone. Do you like any AMC show? Fucking Lions lost (only a pre-season game though )

Some. Since I use Plex and an, uh, uh, *internet streaming provider friend*, cough, cough, rather than pay massive cable bills for shitty programming I only find out about programs from friends, family and FaceBook. But I watched most of Walking Dead, most of Breaking Bad, all of Better Call Saul and I've seen Broken Trail 3 times because it's one of the best Western mini-series ever, not quite as good as Lonesome Dove, but damned good.

I think Better Call Saul is outstanding because I am always amazed when writers/producers/actors are good enough to create riveting drama that isn't focused primarily on violence.

But I still love violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saul is an incredibly good show I think it might be AMC's best. The way the character balances the parts of his personality is riveting. Does he want to be "bad" or is he given little options or can he just not resist the temptation? The love hate with his brother is well done. IMHO his brother is an unforgiving prick, yet Saul cares about him and his approval. very realistic. The poor girlfriend is going to pay for his shenanigans at some point and be the tragic character... not Saul, he always land on his feet. Can't wait to see the new season.

WD is good but I hate to say it I'm starting to "get over it".

Not a big western fan (except spaghetti westerns) My wife loved "Hell on Wheels".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:

Not a big western fan (except spaghetti westerns) My wife loved "Hell on Wheels".

Do yourself a favor and watch Broken Trail. It's roughly/closely based on events that happened and for what it's worth is one of the finest small screen shows depicting the clear cut morality of the Western "personality" in the late 1800's. It's more about honest compassion for a helpless group of Chinese sex slave girls and how it transpired they were rescued and eventually became an important part of the Wyoming/Idaho/Montana history.

Great stuff and it has Duvall and a few others you will recognize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Do yourself a favor and watch Broken Trail. It's roughly/closely based on events that happened and for what it's worth is one of the finest small screen shows depicting the clear cut morality of the Western "personality" in the late 1800's. It's more about honest compassion for a helpless group of Chinese sex slave girls and how it transpired they were rescued and eventually became an important part of the Wyoming/Idaho/Montana history.

Great stuff and it has Duvall and a few others you will recognize.

I'll try it. The ole "gunz-a-blazin'" (unless it's over the top canpy) isn't my style but this sounds interesting and not like that at all, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.