Popular Tags: [View All]
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RR Page 4
Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an
impassable border, or a wall.

Example 1 - A monster knocked an item from my hand it was to be place in an adjacent space. So could it be place on the other side of a wall into another room?

Example 2 - Fire spreads to an adjacent space. Through a wall into another room?

Example 3 - A monster attacks adjacent investigator. On the other side of a wall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daxis32 wrote:
RR Page 4
Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an
impassable border, or a wall.

Example 1 - A monster knocked an item from my hand it was to be place in an adjacent space. So could it be place on the other side of a wall into another room?

Example 2 - Fire spreads to an adjacent space. Through a wall into another room?

Example 3 - A monster attacks adjacent investigator. On the other side of a wall?

RRG Pg 19
"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

That portion of the Wall section seems to most directly address your questions but I highly recommend reading the rest of that section as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't figured out yet if there are enough cases where wall adjacency matters to justify why they made it adjacent, and used exception language to basically note that almost nothing actually crosses walls. It seems like it's all exceptions and no rule.

(EDIT to correct my mistake that fire can cross walls, thus further illustrating why I find the way they addressed this so confusing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
More Mellotron wrote:
I haven't figured out yet if there are enough cases where wall adjacency matters to justify why they made it adjacent, and used exception language to basically note that nothing actually crosses walls except fire. It seems like it's all exceptions and no rule.

It allows for the notation "adjacent rooms" which might be used (I haven't played all scenarios yet) for noise based effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
More Mellotron wrote:
I haven't figured out yet if there are enough cases where wall adjacency matters to justify why they made it adjacent, and used exception language to basically note that nothing actually crosses walls except fire. It seems like it's all exceptions and no rule.

It allows for the notation "adjacent rooms" which might be used (I haven't played all scenarios yet) for noise based effects.

Thx. I figured there was something like that. It feels like there might have been a clearer way to do that, but lacking a better idea, just takes some repetition to get it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghosts (and the like) have a Phasing attribute listed on the underside of their card counter. This explains that the said creature / entity can move through impassable borders and / or walls.

The "and walls" section of the rules, in regards to "Adjacency" applies in situations where a creature with the aforementioned "Phasing" attribute is trying to move and or interact. When creatures that do not possess such a wonderful skill attempt to move, they find themselves severely bruised when they attempt the same manoeuvre (on account of bumping into the wall) and so instead opt to use the door or just explore the room / corridor they find themselves in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kniknax wrote:
Ghosts (and the like) have a Phasing attribute listed on the underside of their card counter. This explains that the said creature / entity can move through impassable borders and / or walls.

The "and walls" section of the rules, in regards to "Adjacency" applies in situations where a creature with the aforementioned "Phasing" attribute is trying to move and or interact. When creatures that do not possess such a wonderful skill attempt to move, they find themselves severely bruised when they attempt the same manoeuvre (on account of bumping into the wall) and so instead opt to use the door or just explore the room / corridor they find themselves in.

I heard the bruising mechanism they originally had in the game was very fiddly. Each bruise amounted to roughly one seventh of a regular point of damage. It became very difficult to track that even with the app. Glad they took it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So fire case spread through walls? (reference?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daxis32 wrote:

Fire cannot cross walls. As indicated in the Walls section of the rules reference, Walls cannot be crossed unless a specific rule says so. The Fire rules do not say they can cross walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

Fire cannot cross walls. As indicated in the Walls section of the rules reference, Walls cannot be crossed unless a specific rule says so. The Fire rules do not say they can cross walls.

But Fire CAN spread through doors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemaster wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
daxis32 wrote:

But Fire CAN spread through doors.

Yes it can, but range calculations stop at doors. It takes a bit to get used to all the conditions, but once you do it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that if the fire starts in the corner of a small to medium sized room and has an artificial fuel source like a couch with foam cushions the fire will run up the wall and start running across the ceiling. At that point you need to watch out for the carpet to start off-gassing because once you see that you're just moments away from a flashover which basically means the entire room combusts all at once. It sounds like a pretty complicated mechanism but that app handles most of it.

Wait...

No that's real life. Not the game. Never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete B

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desertmonkey wrote:
So if range calculations stop at doors, then Father Mateo can't focus another investigator if they are adjacent through a door?

Back to range: if a monster is already within range of an investigator, does it still move towards the investigator? Or does it stay still and make what's essentially a ranged attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desertmonkey wrote:
Desertmonkey wrote:
So if range calculations stop at doors, then Father Mateo can't focus another investigator if they are adjacent through a door?

Back to range: if a monster is already within range of an investigator, does it still move towards the investigator? Or does it stay still and make what's essentially a ranged attack?

1) Correct.

2) If the game only says the monster needs to move to be within range of any investigator then the monster wouldn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.