Subject: How many dice for 'Curse' or 'Power of Pit'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many dice do you roll on these tables (please)? I can't find anywhere in the rules where it is explicitly stated. I assume it is two because of the consequences of rolling '1' on the Power of the Pit table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Power of the pit is nasty enough with two dice. With just one die, and given the speed of the demon's attack, Only spellcasters would even consider staying in the same tile as the demon spawning treasure sites.

You don't even have to look at the results of a 1 or a 2: Many characters are completely crippled by every single result. The Witch king has little chance if all his magic chits get fatigued. Terror is very bad for most light and medium characters, and kills most natives. A white knight or berserker that can't use effort chits will be undercut and killed.

So yes, definitely two dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
The general rules for rolling dice can be found here in the 3rd Edition.

Quote:
4.0 GAME MECHANICS
4.1 ROLLING DICE
4.1.1 Whenever a character is directed to roll the dice and consult a table, he rolls two dice and uses the high roll to find his result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrb88 wrote:
The general rules for rolling dice can be found here in the 3rd Edition.

Quote:
4.0 GAME MECHANICS
4.1 ROLLING DICE
4.1.1 Whenever a character is directed to roll the dice and consult a table, he rolls two dice and uses the high roll to find his result.

Exception: (Page 110 of Third Edition)
"LUCKY CHARM: When a character has this card active when he uses
a table, he rolls only one die (including Curse or Power of the Pit)."

The phase in parentheses makes explicit what is implied by the Second Edition treasure description and was confirmed for us by Richard Hamblen. You want to be careful using that Lucky Charm to loot the Toadstool Circle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up. 4.1.3 talks about using one dice for 'game' rolls without being clear as to what a 'game' roll is, so that caused me a bit of confusion. I seem to have all three editions (for some unknown reason I kept the first rulebook) but I thought the third edition would have spelt it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McKnight
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. 4.1.3 talks about using one dice for 'game' rolls without being clear as to what a 'game' roll is, so that caused me a bit of confusion. I seem to have all three editions (for some unknown reason I kept the first rulebook) but I thought the third edition would have spelt it out.

"Game rolls" are defined in the "Using Tables" section in the List of Treasures in the Second and Third Edition. The section is on page 110 of the Third Edition [emphasis added]:

"5. USING TABLES
These cards modify how the characters use one or more of the tables in the game. They are in effect whenever they are active, and their effects are cumulative. Example: If a character has the Map of Lost City and the Map of Ruins active in a tile that contains both a Ruins chit and the Lost City chit, he subtracts two from his Locate rolls. Note: Die roll modifications do not apply to combat tables such as repositioning and changing tactics, or to game rolls such as the Monster Roll or Weather. These rolls are not considered to be character rolls. A character’s die roll modifications also do not apply to his hirelings; they use their own die roll modifications, if any."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.