14 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Newbies need advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danny bennet
msg tools
mbmb
Hey folks, me and my flat mates are super into playing this game and have watched a bunch of videos online.
We managed to get hold of a small collection online of various expansions plus the starter pack.

We have the full starter kit

The voyager expansion

The TI'MUR expansion

The D'KYR expansion

IKS NEGH'VAR expansion

IKS G'ROTH expansion

I am super interested in playing a pure federation fleet so I will be using the enterprise and voyager and am looking for advice on what else to buy to compliment that.
Voyager is a personal favourite of mine so im considering the delta flyer at the moment just out of nostalgia.

My flat mate is claiming the Romulan ships and cards from the starter pack and wants to know the best two or three expansions to get to compliment this ship, he doesnt mind if its not all romulan pure.

The other 2 vulcan and 3 klingon ships we arnt sure what to do with yet, i think our other flat mates will scoop them up so advice on what to add to those would be great too.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Voyager and the Negh'Var aren't bad ships but you're not going to be really competitive if you play in an OP against established players. But you can have fun playing in informal games with people using other parts of your collection. The ships in the starter are decent but again these days competitive is pretty expensive to achieve. You do get Picard 9 in the starter and the Vor'Cha in the starter is a great ship.

What you might do is to put Space Dock on your phone and try some builds (or analyzing existing builds on BGG) and see what you need to buy. At this point you're probably going to have to go online and there will be cards from prize ships which are probably only available on eBay at high prices.

Or you can try to buy eBay Lots of whole collections but that will be expensive too. I guess it depends on whether you just want to have fun or play in OPs. If the former, you can work on builds on both sides that are moderately even and even switch sides and play again. If the latter you may have a long road to walk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're lucky. Since you and your friends are in this together you can play against each other with setups that suit you. You don't have to worry about OP games unless you really want to.

I've enjoyed playing with the base ships with limited upgrades.

Also you and your friends can toy around with some variant rules under this game such as those Star Trek Advanced Tactical Simulator http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23480527#23480527 which I enjoyed and need to play further.

Then there is miniature reuse such as pressing them into use for a game like Talon and a Talon variant by AdorableRocket.

Sorry for rambling...this is the gaming theme/style that I always come back to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you guys are playing with only one or two ships at a time in a fleet the Vulcans will still be playable, but in 120 or 130 point fleet build the Vulcans might have trouble staying alive unless you manage to get the 3 other Vulcan ships (Ni'Var is retail, Seleya and Tal'Kir are blind pulls). Although once you have those other three, you have all the ships from the Vulcan faction. You may want to consider picking up an NX-01 just to get the T'Pol from that ship to use with the Vulcans.

For you a Federation player, picking up the Enterprise (Constitution class) would be a good pick up. I've used almost all the card from that pack at least once and find this a very solid expansion that came with the first wave of ships. The Reliant would also be good if you plan on using Janeway's ability due to a crew card that helps you get rid of AUX tokens easier.

It might also be a good idea to pick up a second starter set. The ships and non-unique cards aren't horrible and having more dice, a second damage deck, an extra set of the range ruler and maneuver templates could be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For federation, the official enterprise is a nice addition. The defiant is fun and thematic to play as well, but a bit under powered from the show.

For your Romulan friend, the Hakoona is a great ship as is the Valdore (I'd you can find one). The valdore comes Roth done of my favorite Romulan upgrades in the game. The praetus has a couple nice cards too(like cloaked mines), but the rest of that pack is pretty meh.

Klingon are pretty easy. Most of their ships are playable, but honestly, the one from the starter set is one of their best. There is a retail version of that ship with a different name out now (can't remember what it is) but that one is good to.

Vulcan are a bit more difficult. They take quite a but of skill to play and several of their expansions were not available at retail, but prize packs/ blind boosters only. They can be playable but I hope that guy doesn't mind a rough time getting the hang of things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Feds the Defiant, Hathaway, or TOS Enterprise will add a lot for you. For your Romulan friend the Valdore, Haakona, and Praetus are nice. You guys have the Neg'Var and the Gr'Oth so I would suggest the Ningtao and Koraga next. Kor is the reason to get the Ningtao, both versions of him are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny bennet
msg tools
mbmb
Can you link me to a page showing what enterprise expansion you mean. There seems to be loads of them. cant figure out which one is the constitution one haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acedannyace wrote:
Can you link me to a page showing what enterprise expansion you mean. There seems to be loads of them. cant figure out which one is the constitution one haha

USS Enterprise (aka "Tinyprise")
http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-wave-24-u-s-s-en...
(some of the best crew cards in the game are in this expansion)

USS Enterprise (Refit)
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-neca-wizkids-star...
(more good cards, and Captain Spock is great too - she's very hard to find)

USS Enterprise E
http://www.startrek.com/article/attack-wing-wave-8-u-s-s-ent...
(repaint coming later this year/she's hard to find now)

USS Enterprise A
(this is a grand prize ship - look on FB Trade group or eBay)

USS Enterprise B
(scheduled to be released next month as a retail ship/September)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-attack-wings-wave-...

For completionism's sake here's Archer's. *shrug* Trip's helpful, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EduSun Trebor wrote:
http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-attack-wings-wave-...

For completionism's sake here's Archer's. *shrug* Trip's helpful, right?

Maxwell Forrest Admiral!!! SUPER helpful... Great reason to buy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
There's that too. ^^ Not a bad price for a flag officer really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
pedro_ak wrote:

Number one reason to buy, for 3 points you can vastly improve all your ships movement, he can even make a galaxy class turn well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
pedro_ak wrote:

Number one reason to buy, for 3 points you can vastly improve all your ships movement, he can even make a galaxy class turn well.

During OEP days, Forrest made the Dominion Battleship a terrifying opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Manzetti
France
Lyon
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You'll find everything you need to know in the David Montgomery's Shipyard : https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181983/shipyard-star-trek...

From a French pure faction player point of view :

Fédération :
- Must : Base set for Picard and the enterprise D

Then a lot of choice ...
- Voyager (Very good ship that, luckily, you already have - it's a must for the Fédération)
- Enterprise A (interesting ship, nice combo to do with and some very good upgrades, especialy for casual play)
- Enterprise E (good ship, Picard 8, Dorsal array phaser,... wait for the reprint)
- Prométhéus,
- Venture
- Thunderchild,
- Phoenix,
- Hattaway
- Delta Flyer
- NX01 (mostly for the admiral and for thématic scénario)

Casual fleet sample :
Starter + 2 packs
1 - L'USS Enterprise A
2 - l'Enterprise D(Starter)
3 - Thunderchild

Cards selected :
USS Enterprise (22) - Captain Kirk (6 + 3 - cheat death) - Icaru Sulu(3) - Montgomery Scott(5) - Mr Spock(5) - Leonard McCoy(3)
Enterprise D(28) - Captain Picard(6)
Thunderchild(28) - Captain Shanthi(2) - Admiral Hayes(3) - Intercept(5)

Enterprise A(22) - Captain Shanthi(2)
=24 pts - Initiative 4
Enterprise D(28) - Captain Kirk (6 + 3 - cheat death) - Montgomery Scott(5) - Mr Spock(5) - Leonard McCoy(3)
=50 pts - initiative 9
Thunderchild(28) - Captain Picard(6) - Admiral Hayes(3) - Icaru Sulu(3) - Intercept(5)
=45 pts - initiative 10
= 119 pts

Klingons :
i think you'll might find Klingons easier to start with

Base set or the Drovana because the Vor'cha's are their best ship.
- Negh'Var (Reprint this summer : good ship and some of the best captain)
- Koraga (nice ship and interesting version of Worf)
- Wave 23 : IKS Amar
- Wave 24 : I.K.S. Drovana

If i want a strong Klingons fleet, i usually play 4 Klingons ships (2 or 3 généric Vor'Cha and a B'rel and mostly just their captains : Martok 8, Gowron, Worf,..)

Casual Fleet Sample :
Starter + 2 packs
Cards selected :
1 - Base set :
- Généric Vor'Cha (26 pts) - Nu'Dak(3 pts) - Klag(1 pt) - advanced Weapon System(5 pts)
2 - Pack Negh'Var
- Généric Negh'Var (28 pts) - Cpt Martok (5 pts) - In'cha (5 pts)
3 - Pack IKS Drovana
- L'IKS Drovana (28 pts) - Amiral Gowron (3 pts) - Cpt Kurn (3 pts) - Cloaked Mines (3 pts) - Emergency power(4 pts) - Photon Torpédoes (5 pts)

- Généric Negh'Var (28 pts) - Cpt Martok (5 pts) - Amiral Gowron (3 pts) - advanced Weapon System (5 pts)
= 41 pts - Initiative 8

- L'IKS Drovana (28 pts) - Nu'Dak(3 pts) - Klag(1 pt) - Emergency power(4 pts) - Photon Torpédoes (5 pts) (torpedoes are weak and might just be used to discard to prevent a damage to Drovana power or if you face opponent that use mine, take the talent détonation code for Martok)
= 41 pts - Initiative 5

- Généric Vor'Cha (26 pts) - Cpt Kurn (3 pts) - In'cha (5 pts) - Cloaked Mines (3 pts)
= 37 ts - Initiative 5

Total 119 pts

Romuliens :
- Scimitar (the best - reprint this summer),
- Valdore (good ship and captain)
- Haakona (nice hability, good cards : captain, admiral and crew)
Small ship :
- le RIS VO,
- l'Apnex
- l'IRW Praetus(for the mines)
- l'I.R.W Algernon (great captain/admiral)

Vulcans :
- You'll need to play them crossfaction : Vulcan+Fédération

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.