Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! Cardboard of the Rings has started taking polls to analyze LotR metadata, and I thought it would be interesting to get a pulse on how everyone plays the game. Let me know if you have any related questions that should be added.

Poll
How do you like to play LotR?
1. How do you typically play LotR? Include any format that you play at least 5% of the time.
Solo 1 handed
Solo 2 handed
Solo 3-4 handed
2 player with a dedicated partner, spouse, etc.
3-4 player with a dedicated group and coordinated decks
2-4 player with pickup groups
Other (specify in comments)
2. Which format do you play the most?
Solo 1 handed
Solo 2 handed
Solo 3-4 handed
2 player with a dedicated partner, spouse, etc.
3-4 player with a dedicated group and coordinated decks
2-4 player with pickup groups
Other (specify in comments)
3. What game modes do you play? Include any mode that you play at least 5% of the time.
Normal
Easy (extra resources and remove cards)
Sleazy (just extra resources)
Nightmare
Other
4. Which game mode do you play the most?
Normal
Easy (extra resources and remove cards)
Sleazy (just extra resources)
Nightmare
Other
      426 answers
Poll created by Teamjimby

EDIT: I added another question to try to gauge how big the local community is based on the number of people you see at meetups or fellowship events.

Poll: Loneliness
How often do you get out?
1. What percentage of your LotR plays are solo (any number of hands)?
1-20
21-40
41-60
61-80
81-99
2. What percentage of your LotR plays are in public places like game stores, conventions, or restaurants?
1-20
21-40
41-60
61-80
81-99
      217 answers

Poll: OCTGN
OCTGN
What percentage of your LotR plays are on OCTGN?
1-20
21-40
41-60
61-80
81-99
      221 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting poll.

It can obviously be included in 'other' but I was wondering why Basic mode wasn't included? Did Easy mode replace it in the later printings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Interesting poll.

It can obviously be included in 'other' but I was wondering why Basic mode wasn't included? Did Easy mode replace it in the later printings?

Huh, I didn't even realize basic mode was a thing. I couldn't tell you if the rulebook has changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
cornishlee wrote:
Interesting poll.

Huh, I didn't even realize basic mode was a thing. I couldn't tell you if the rulebook has changed.

From memory, I'm not sure what it involves other than ignoring shadow effects but I can look in my manual, if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
From memory, I'm not sure what it involves other than ignoring shadow effects but I can look in my manual, if you like.

Right, you just don't deal shadow cards. I've just never personally seen or heard anyone play that way, so it slipped my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
cornishlee wrote:

Right, you just don't deal shadow cards. I've just never personally seen or heard anyone play that way, so it slipped my mind.

I think I probably did my first game, but that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
cornishlee wrote:

My group did that once (over 3-4 years) on a adventure that we couldn't defeat after 35 attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
cornishlee wrote:

I think I probably did my first game, but that's all.

Yep, I played my first game that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
As well as solo 1 handed, I also play the fellowship variant which simulates 6 heroes in one hand.

When I'm playing a newly acquired deck I use normal mode, but when relaxing with a deck I've owned for a long time, I give myself an extra resource at the start. Just a little bit easier and more fun as you can go shopping.

When playing Mirkwood cycle, I always play nightmare (except for Dol Guldor which is hard enough as is!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
So when there's a quest so punishing as to be unfun - *cough* Carn Dum *cough* - does anyone go for the easy/sleazy game, or do you bang your head against it until you get through? I do the latter, not as a value call, but to make sure I beat each quest in its default state.

Before last cycle, I did solo 1H, but realized I could play more new cards if I added a second hand.

When people decide to sit down to a game, do they decide to go for new material, old quests they skipped, old favorites, or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:
So when there's a quest so punishing as to be unfun - *cough* Carn Dum *cough* - does anyone go for the easy/sleazy game, or do you bang your head against it until you get through? I do the latter, not as a value call, but to make sure I beat each quest in its default state.

After ~10 crushing defeats, I have to go to sleazy mode just to get my morale back up. After a sleazy win, it's back to the grind with normal mode. Then after a normal win I usually never play the quest again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:

When going through the quests the first time, I had two decks that I typically played one-handed. I'd use the following procedure:

1) Play deck #1 until I win once, or lose three times.
2) Play deck #2 until I win once, or lose three times.
3) If I didn't win #1 or #2, play both decks against the quest until I win, or lose three times.
4) If I still haven't won, repeat #1-#3 with an extra resource at start.
5) If I still haven't won, repeat #1-#3 in easy mode.
6) Time to move on.

I never got to #6, and I only got to the 25th-27th attempt against Morgul Vale. The vast majority of quests I didn't need to do #3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
mistertrench wrote:

After ~10 crushing defeats, I have to go to sleazy mode just to get my morale back up. After a sleazy win, it's back to the grind with normal mode. Then after a normal win I usually never play the quest again.

I played tried Carn Dum maybe 30 or 40 times over the course of a month. If I got a turn one or turn two hero death I just scooped, these weren't all played to the point of defeat. But whenever I started sorting out the easy cards, it still left stuff like the werewolves, and I just rolled it back up normally again. A few losses prompted me to throw the deck across the room, scattering cards behind cabinets and under the couch. When I beat it I felt almost no satisfaction, just relief that that portion of my life and that chapter of my relationship with the game was over. I think that quest is a serious low point in the design of the game, and honestly has altered how I enjoy the game as a whole. Should I have switched to easy mode? Probably. But I don't think I would have felt it was done until it was, though.

Yes, I have broken controllers.

No, you have an anger problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
I never got to #6, and I only got to the 25th-27th attempt against Morgul Vale. The vast majority of quests I didn't need to do #3.

Morgul Vale marked my first hiatus from playing, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:
I played tried Carn Dum maybe 30 or 40 times over the course of a month. If I got a turn one or turn two hero death I just scooped, these weren't all played to the point of defeat. But whenever I started sorting out the easy cards, it still left stuff like the werewolves, and I just rolled it back up normally again. A few losses prompted me to throw the deck across the room, scattering cards behind cabinets and under the couch. When I beat it I felt almost no satisfaction, just relief that that portion of my life and that chapter of my relationship with the game was over. I think that quest is a serious low point in the design of the game, and honestly has altered how I enjoy the game as a whole. Should I have switched to easy mode? Probably. But I don't think I would have felt it was done until it was, though.

I totally know what you mean. Finally beating Carn Dum brought me no satisfaction. Beating a quest once out of 50 times just leaves you thinking "Well, I must have gotten really lucky this time." I've never cursed or threw my cards on the table as much as when I played Carn Dum.

Morgul Vale, on the other hand, I think I beat on my first try just because I happened to be playing a low threat deck with Ranger Bows, which is just about the perfect deck against that quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't feel lucky the one time I beat it, I thought I had earned it at that point. I had 39 games of experience and points of failure for reference, so my decks were ON POINT for that quest. Other games would have turn ones go something like, "Skeletor kills a hero. Flip Skeletor. Skeletor kills another hero. Discard the top 5 cards of your deck, and make sure one is Will of the West. Raise your threat by the sum of their costs. Skeletor flips." The games where I got close and lost were the only times there was anything approaching satisfaction, since I got to see I was matching threats appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleazy all day, every day.

The first turn can ruin a game, and I feel like sleazy mode reduces frustrating losses, while only marginally making winning easier, because winning requires long term strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to know what the 'other' that 2 / 5 people are playing is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added another poll that focuses on solo play and public play, so go answer that one if you already answered the first one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
cornishlee wrote:
I'd love to know what the 'other' that 2 / 5 people are playing is.

One of them was me. I often have a mix of "1st round sleazy, nightmare, not using shadow cards, and not taking out the cards you're supposed to when playing nightmare" all at the same time!

In fact, in all the 5 years I've been playing this game, I've never used shadow cards - I simply can't be bothered and the game is tough enough anyway! I've promised myself that one day I shall start at the beginning again and play properly :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I object to the term "Sleazy"

Have found it preferable to give myself a chance to get a start in the game than get hammered after a few turns and start again!

Seriously I have found the game far more enjoyable playing with the extra resources. If it's fun it's fine! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
chibipaul wrote:
I object to the term "Sleazy"

That's just the term the main host of CotR uses for it (hence it being on this poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gipson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We used to have a regular playgroup, but that was awhile back and nobody else besides my wife and I play anymore.

So our normal games are now at home with just the two of us, each using two decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disturbed1 wrote:
We used to have a regular playgroup, but that was awhile back and nobody else besides my wife and I play anymore.

So our normal games are now at home with just the two of us, each using two decks.

That's something I hadn't really considered - 2 player but 4 handed. Interesting. How do you like it, and what motivates you to play 4 handed instead of regular 2 player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pirate Brahm
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
When a quest beats me down, I remove the gold encounter cards but add no extra resources. "Breezy Mode", you could call it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.