Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~Deranged Review~

Hello! Welcome to this Deranged Review. Are you comfortable?

Among the old classics I one day found in my mom's closet, there were, well, boxes I can't recall; and a mustard-yellow box marked Carriere - a word wholly unfamiliar to Little Deranged.

It was not until many years had passed that I actually played the mustard-yellow game. A decision I fully regret - I should've done so far sooner.

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory. I'll not say a lot about rules and specifics - you can find those out for yourself.

The Game Itself: The Game of Sidetrack-opoly.
Choose your secret formula, set out to collect secret formula! First to do so wins!.

ART
-The game art is about as sixties as possible. The board consists of yellow, white, brown and orange boxes, with smaller white boxes snaking all through the center. There's more text and fewer colours than on the Monopoly board it otherwise resembles.

The cards are all very clear in their purpose, as is the blocnote. The money is... practical, without any sense of flair.

EASE
-The game, while far from difficult, seems to not be easily understood the first time; but perhaps I just can't explain it properly. The need to follow an education (and which to choose), and the effects it has on the game are often misunderstood at the beginning. Fortunately, people will pick up on it after about two minutes .

FLEXIBILITY
-As everybody chooses their own secret formula for being happy, nearly all the players will pursue different careers. And in that fact lies the most brilliantly elegant (and easily overlooked) characteristic of Careers: every formula has a different playstyle. Do you want Fame? pursue a career in Politics or Art. Rather fill up on Happiness? Go search for Uranium, or excel in Sports. Want both? Go get a ticket to the moon. Like cash? Go into Business, sell Uranium, or bet big on the Horseraces.

Every career attracts different players, so every Chance card will have a different value for each player, which cleverly makes trade possible and worthwile.

Besides... Happiness can not be easily lost. Money is fickle, and while it can buy either Fame or Happiness, it's also used to pay rent, shopping sprees, and career fees. Opportunities to gain Fame are relatively rare (18 careerspots + 1 borderspot, as opposed to 24 careerspots + 3 borderspots for Happiness) and found in the more expensive career paths, but do offer larger gains than Happiness.

So you can amass Fame very quickly, but have to find Happiness in many small things. You will generate an amount of Money regardless of what you do, so choosing to have zero Money in your formula is admirable, but foolish in game terms. Getting ALL the money is possible - you'd only need to win at the horseraces three times or so.

FUN
-This game is what Monopoly and Life should have been; a game to fill the evening, that is not hard or deep but fun to play, has luck of the die but allows you to enforce good turns with your experience cards, and lastly offers an experience. There's little chance to interfere in other players' plans besides not giving them the cards they'd need to win, and so fosters an atmosphere of mutual help with fully egocentric motives.

The game does have dice, so you'd need a bit of luck, but the experience cards let you execute exactly the move you want to, and therefor offers you far more control over your fate than "Move 1d6 steps". This feeling of control, this tiny sprinkling of hope of not being subject to the whims of the Green Eyed Lady is the second reason this game is so far ahead of its time.

In short? Yes, this game is fun to play.

COMPONENTS
-Considering the age of the game, the components are above average - comparable to Monopoly. Because the game was rather popular with the non-gamer crowds back in the day, it was mass-produced, with all the good things that come with it.

Besides, I quite like paper money ^^.

Pro's
Better than Monopoly/Life mechanically
As approachable and friendly as Mono-life.
Pro-choice.

Con's
It's rather old, and old games with intact blocnotes are rare...
Not easy to get your hands on.

End result:
Careers is a wondrous game - it is the best of the Old Classics by far, and as such is the Russia of boardgames, straddling both sides of the faultline. For die-hard gamers, it's okay and with enough depth to enjoy themselves. For the families, it's shallow enough to not be too threathening. It's the Missing Link between the family games of old and the euro-games of later. The step between being able to stand and being in open water; the place where you can touch the ground but no longer stand.

Besides, its just fun to play, with it's trade and pick-your-ending chassis on a roll-and-move basis. It opens up many fun situations, and thus is best played with people who know how to enjoy themselves.

If you come across one of these in a thriftshop, it's well worth shelling out two bucks for it.

As usual, please give your opinion in the comments .

Oh, by the way, I am Deranged. I like to have fun with (and around) boardgames, and have played many of them over the years. I've been furniture in my FLGS for years ^^. I tend to like old games; well, I tend to like good games, most of which have been around for bit ^^. I've written 78 reviews as of yet, which you can access here, and a handful of random topics discussed here. If you want me to write a review for you or recommend me a game, there's this neat little envelop near my avatar!

googoo

#1: Gasp! No footnotes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New version is out by winning moves. Easier to get a copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this as a kid -- I think there's still a copy at the cottage, though it has a bright orange cover and looks like the last picture you include -- not the French version.

A very early game to have variable and configurable victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay new version, may it drown out Monopoly as the game of choice! They generally have one in second hand shops, but picking's been slim lately :/.

I couldn't find a picture of the board I have, which is similar to the one you mentioned but with the colours switched around . There's been several Dutch versions over the years, I have the mustard-yellow pictured on top (I always use the version I have as box cover, if possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fond memories of playing this during my childhood. I think the copy I had might have been from when my dad was a kid, so the box was pretty beat up by the time I played it. The board looked like the first picture you posted. I don't remember much of the gameplay, but I do remember the experience fondly. Most of all I think I remember thinking that it was cool because I was playing a "grown-up" game. Thanks for the nostalgia trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and played the 2003 version. That's the definitive one for me at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Why?

@Snardo: More than welcome .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derang3d wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Why?

@Snardo: More than welcome .
It's the only one I played. I have seen screenshots of other versions, including some from the 60s and 70s. I like how the theme and careers in the 2003 version is more modern and relatable, like Vacation instead of Sailing, and more modern career loops like Sports vs. Nuclear science (or something that's quite obviously big in back then).

Also like how $50 is the smallest denomination, vs. $5. Inflation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has Sports! And looking for Uranium ^^.

Also, vacation on the Riviera .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.