Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Rating of Just the Core Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Tschida
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
What would you guys rate the core set alone without any packs or expansions. It's 8.1 on BGG, but would it be as popular if we just had the core?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a 7.

It's still a pretty full 1v1 gaming experience that has a lot of variability and a lot of replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Onken
Germany
Varel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it difficult to find an answer to this question.
My rating for A:NR is 10 (one of 3 10's in over 700 ratings), but of course for the system and not the base game only.
I enjoy the base game when I play with newbies to intoduce them to the game. But I don't like it much with experienced players.
So the base game doesn't offer much replayabilty to me as a stand-alone BUT you have to acknowledge the fact, that the base game wasn't designed to be a stand-alone. And because of this point, I think it's difficult to give a rating only for the base game.
But in this thread, I have to do exactly this :D

So:
A:NR as a system: 10
Base game as it is now (for introduction for example): 7 or 8
Base game as a stand alone: 5 or 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer to think of ANR as a game system (some of "optional" data packs contain essential cards that make certain decks work, period). Overall, the core set retains much value following its introduction in 2012, but it is also showing some of its age. The evolution of the game as experienced with the data packs has brought strengths and weaknesses.

The addition of errata and the Most Wanted Listed (a semi-restriction list of cards that does not outright ban their use but does incur additional costs for deck inclusion) plus the wonders of hindsight about some card relationships warrants a consideration for a revised core set. For now, we'll continue to move along with additional MWLs as needed.

Also remember that the first major shift in the game system will occur next year when rotation takes effect: the first two cycles of expansion will be retired from legal tournament play.

I'm not sure if ranking the core set in isolation does very much, but despite its limited card pool, there is still worth your time if you find the theme interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't change my rating. My wife and I had 68 plays with just the core set. That's more plays of Netrunner in the 4 months before any expansions were released than any other game in the 4 years that we've been playing board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a 7 for me. Weak tea compared to the sealed decks of the original NetRunner. Don't forget that FFG WANTS you to spend money to spice up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.