Subject: Custom card errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering applying some custom errata to my own cards when playing to make deck-building more thematic and to nerf some of the power cards. Here are a couple of examples I am considering:

1. Steward of Gondor - Must attach to a Gondor Hero, exhaust SOG to add 1 resource to the attached heroes resource pool

2. Light of Valinor - Response: After committing attached hero to the quest exhaust LOV to ready attached hero.

3. Boromir (Tactics) - Increase threat by 2 to ready Boromir, Limit 3 times per phase.

Has anyone else considered doing this and if so do you have any other ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious - why 'custom errata' and not 'house rule'? Thing like only putting SoG on a Gondor hero I do anyway but I've never felt the need to design a replacement card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your right, house rule is probably a better way of putting it. I am not designing & printing new cards just self-imposing errata on some of the overused power cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough then. Yes, lots of people house rule and even more who play solo, myself included, like to play more or less thematically. That in itself won't change the way that individual cards play but it does effect the way that they can be incorporated into a deck. Taking your first point as an example - Steward of Gondor - I refuse to put it in either of my decks at present. Why? Because I'm currently running a Dwarf deck and a Rohan deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esteban hoogma
Chile
flag msg tools
What power would Light of Valinor lose with this errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
The LoV nerf makes Glorfindel's questing penalty actually proc. If you get a turn one LoV play, then Glorfindel is a 5-threat 12-stat hero with zero downside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Light of Valinor is the reason why I've lost interest in Glorfindel at the very moment I met those card opening Foundations of Stone pack. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also never liked that the game allows a character to have two mounts or two suits of armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All games require some level of abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Seems to me some card "power" can also be gauged by limiting card count, down from three. Although the core set is the only situation I am aware of where deck cards are limited (ie., those with one or two copies available rather than the usual three; and those more recent cards with the "one per deck" limitation), I am thinking this is the original reason for those core set card availability limitations - gating their power via card draw statistics.

Other opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has already started doing some deck building limits, on the side quests and now the YOLO event. Effective deck-building isn't always about having as many copies possible of a given card, so I'm not sure a self-imposed limit would really be much of a penalty. What about limiting unique cards to one-ofs?

As an aside, I find it funny that the one-ofs in the core set are largely garbage, other than Unexpected Courage or Celebrian's, at least in the context of the modern card pool; you would likely never build a deck around something like Beorn's Hospitality or Brok Ironfist. The Spirit uniques are all good, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:
FFG has already started doing some deck building limits, on the side quests and now the YOLO event. Effective deck-building isn't always about having as many copies possible of a given card, so I'm not sure a self-imposed limit would really be much of a penalty. What about limiting unique cards to one-ofs?

As an aside, I find it funny that the one-ofs in the core set are largely garbage, other than Unexpected Courage or Celebrian's, at least in the context of the modern card pool; you would likely never build a deck around something like Beorn's Hospitality or Brok Ironfist. The Spirit uniques are all good, I guess.

Horn of Gondor *used* to be good, before it was errataed. Beorn's powerful but expensive (Tactics), or just plain powerful (with sneak attack). Henamarth Riversong is *extremely* powerful in one-deck solo. Grim Resolve is powerful, but expensive. Swift Strike is an excellent card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally blanked on them. Thanks for reminding me.

Henamarth has a place in a Silvan deck, too. He belongs on the good core one of list. Swift Strike is too expensive for what it does, in my opinion. Plus we have Goblin Cleaver now. Horn of Gondor, SMDH. I think it was a terrible call to change it that aggressively. Ally Beorn I think needs a little planning around to maximize, but he too can go on the good list. But why pay six for one ally when you can pay six for two or three allies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esteban hoogma
Chile
flag msg tools
Just now I got what your new Light of Valinor would do. (D'oh!) Yeah, I think that's a pretty nice penalty. The card remains really powerful, but it gives a balanced nerf to Glorfindel specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kypatzer wrote:
I've also never liked that the game allows a character to have two mounts or two suits of armor.

This is something else that I feel is covered by the 'playing thematically' thing. Do I look askance at someone putting two suits of armour on Gimli? Yes. Do I say anything? No.

I choose to play the game one way, if someone else chooses to play it another, why should it bother me? I think what they're doing is illogical. They probably think what I'm doing is inefficient.

Maybe this is just an attitude born of playing exclusively solo though. Maybe If I had to play the game with other people I'd feel differently about it (I can't imagine why I'd ever have to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Phelps

Mount Washington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also been thinking about how to use some under used cards. Bilbo (Lore) especially annoys me either his threat cost should be 3 less or he should have 3 more in his stat line. I also use some of the boon cards when playing outside of the saga quests - Sting, Glamdring, Anduril & Mithril Coat specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread makes me think I need to get better at deckbuilding.

All your errata seem reasonable, they don't make any of the cards throw aways (except SoG, but if you want to stay true to theme there's not much else to do). Personally I wouldn't use any of these house rules, but that's because I am currently without a prayer going up against some of the quests with my homebrew decks. The struggle is too real for me to start tying hands behind my back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.