Subject: Come Mister Tally-Man, tally me bananas ... until they're extinct rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Daylight come and I wanna go home....

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/08/18/devastating-plant-...

What will I do without my favorite phallic fruit???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint Cucumbers yellow and pretend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
cucumbers? Dammit slater angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
(sigh) cucumbers aren't a fruit.

They're disgusting.

Unless pickled, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
remorseless1 wrote:

Do not let your biology teacher hear that or you may need to repeat the class : http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/09/what-is-the-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
They need to come up with a GMO variety resistant to the disease(s). I'd assume they have a backup variety but in the short term bananas could become VERY expensive. I love Golden Delicious apples same thing could happen to them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
They need to come up with a GMO variety resistant to the disease(s). I'd assume they have a backup variety but in the short term bananas could become VERY expensive.

But that's just it: current bananas are the backup variety. Cavendishes were the backup after the Gros Michel was mostly destroyed by the same fungus.

(You can still get Gros Michels in a few places in southeast Asia; I've had one, they're creamier and sweeter than the bananas you're used to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world mono-crops for agriculture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, they have been predicting the eradication of the Cavendish for a while - and as MGK indicated, this has happened before.

What will likely happen is that you will see a transition to a different variety - and definitely highlights the dangers of uber specialization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That doesn't sound like a very intelligent design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Plantains and other members of banana family still exist + SCIENCE! "Yes we could have no bananas" for a while but in the long run we will. They might not be the same as we have today. If there's money in it a new hybrid isn't far away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Plantains and other members of banana family still exist + SCIENCE! "Yes we could have no bananas" for a while but in the long run we will. They might not be the same as we have today. If there's money in it a new hybrid isn't far away.

Agriscience is a big deal these days. Israel has been one of the pioneers. We don't have the climate for bananas but might be able to grow them in greenhouses etc. I'd be shocked if nobody here was already working on the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:

The Goldfinger banana is the next one up, but it's much less sweet than the Cavendish is - supposedly it's almost tart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
They need to come up with a GMO variety resistant to the disease(s). I'd assume they have a backup variety but in the short term bananas could become VERY expensive. I love Golden Delicious apples same thing could happen to them...

Golden Delicious apples? Confirms my findings from trips to the US that all US apples are shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Golden Delicious apples? Confirms my findings from trips to the US that all US apples are shit.

My wife (born and raised in Ireland but lived in the UK as an adult) finds my knowledge of varieties etc of apples also deplorable. I was raised in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

They're disgusting.

Pickling turns them into a fruit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
I seem to recall Kew keeps a store for just this eventuality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

To each his own. May people like the MacIntosh it's a flavorless blob of flavorless juice. Fuji and Breburn are also good as well as is a tart Granny Smith if you're in a sour mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what does Ray Comfort have to say about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:

Yeah no doubt about that. Eventually all food crops will have to be heavily modified GMOs since the way we raise food puts a lot of evolutionary pressure on bugs, fungus, etc to adapt. When there is a massive food source available there is no way to stop evolution from finding a way to make use of it.

As for changing our farming practices, I know we already have a bit, but there is only so much that can be done. There are 6 billion people to feed and if we don't utilize the land as efficiently as possible some people are going to starve. Or even worse, I wouldn't be able to eat steak anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

To each his own. May people like the MacIntosh it's a flavorless blob of flavorless juice. Fuji and Breburn are also good as well as is a tart Granny Smith if you're in a sour mood.

Yeah but that is where you are limited. We don't get McIntosh apples in the UK (I think). But we have a good choice of Worcester Pearmain, Cox's Orange Pippin, Bramley (for cooking), Discovery, Egremont Russet (a very nutty flavoured apple), Gala can all be found in UK markets and supermarkets - although not all simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most US grocers will carry 5-9 varieties. The big question is how many swallows does it take to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
rcbevco wrote:

Yeah no doubt about that. Eventually all food crops will have to be heavily modified GMOs since the way we raise food puts a lot of evolutionary pressure on bugs, fungus, etc to adapt. When there is a massive food source available there is no way to stop evolution from finding a way to make use of it.

As for changing our farming practices, I know we already have a bit, but there is only so much that can be done. There are 6 billion people to feed and if we don't utilize the land as efficiently as possible some people are going to starve. Or even worse, I wouldn't be able to eat steak anymore.

Thankfully I recently read The Windup Girl, so I am prepared for our GMO post-apocalypse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
bjlillo wrote:
I hate you for this thread title and the resulting song looping through my head.

I hate myself for it. I sang the whole damn song on my drive home. People thought I was crazier than normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:

They're disgusting.

Pickling turns them into a fruit?

No, it turns them into something edible.

And yes, I know cucumbers are a fruit, just like tomatoes. You ever seen them between the melons and the grapes at your local grocer? Yeah, me neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.