Subject: Killer Queen and Rainbow talents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Queen [+] Rainbow [+] Killer [+] [View All]
Fabio Guazzelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello guys,

I've a question to make.
The "Killer Queen" card precepts: "Talent: If you played another minion here this turn, place a +1 power counter on this minion and that minion."

My doubt is that if you can play a minion and after that, plays Killer Queen and uses it's talent to place the counters. Killer Queen isn't in play yet, but the card says: "If you played another minion here this turn"
I also got this doubt in Rainbow of the Mythic Horses (If you have played another minion here, draw a card)

I think Killer Queen can "reach" the minion because it says "this turn", but Rainbow cannot draw a card, because it must be in play, previously.

Please guys, enlighten me
Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
The moment you play Killer Queen, its ability has been satisfied, so you can indeed use its talent.

The same would be true for Rainbow. As long as there is one of your minions already on the base where you play it, you use its ability. Note that a card you have MOVED to a base does not count as playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, since the cards in question say "if you played" and not "when you play" all is fine. It does not matter if the Killer Queen or Rainbow come later that turn, the conditions for their abilities have already been met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mb
Killer Queen: "Talent: If you played another minion here this turn, place a +1 power counter on this minion and that minion."
Like most people here on BGG, I think Killer Queen's talent could be activated if another minion was played during that turn on that base even before Killer Queen is played on the base.

Rainbow: "Talent: If you have played another minion here, draw a card."
I think there are three interpretations of Rainbow in the community.

1) If you put Rainbow on a base where you already have a minion, you can activate the talent. I'm confident this is wrong. If they wanted Rainbow to act retroactively, it would have language similar to the other 8 or so cards that refer to 'having' another minion. Rainbow is the only Mythic Horse card to use the word 'played.' I think the language is different because the mechanism is different than the other Mythic Horses cards.

2) Rainbow must be in play before the 'other' minion. It's not saying 'if there is another minion here, draw a card.' Instead it's saying, 'after Rainbow has entered play, if you have played a minion here on this turn, draw a card.' I'm 75% sure that this is what was meant by AEG. I think this is why they said 'have played' instead of 'played' and instead of 'have'. Besides being a better interpretation of the actual words, this also seems to be better balanced than option 1 above. (Ponies are generally considered very strong and option 1 would make them even stronger.)

3) Rainbow must be in play before the 'other' minion, but there is no specified time period. So in essence, it's saying, 'after Rainbow has entered play, if you have played a minion here on this turn or on any other turn, draw a card.' This would mean that you could play Rainbow on turn 1 and another minion on Rainbow's base on turn 2 and activate Rainbow's talents from turn 2 until the end of the game or until Rainbow is removed from play, even without playing any more minions. (Even if the other minion is removed from play, it was still played on the base, satisfying Rainbow's condition.) I'm 25% that this is what was meant by AEG. To give Rainbow a limitation of 'on this turn' is not stated in the card text. However, this could lead to some balance issues, so I prefer option 2, even if option 3 was the original intent of AEG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, regarding Rainbow and these interpretations we might then compare internationally.

The german card says "Wenn du an dieser Basis 1 andere Kreatur spielst..." this would translate to "When you play another minion on this base...".

In my first answer I only looked at the original english version, which of course might be interpreted in the 3 ways presented above. However, the german version has no room for interpretations: Rainbow MUST be already in play and you MUST play ANOTHER minion to use its talent. Considering this, I'd also go for that with the english version. Preferring the clearer wording of the german card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
With both killer queen and rainbow it's "If you played another minion here this turn" meaning at any point in your turn before bases bases start breaking/scoring (since talents can only be played on your turn during that phase). Rainbow is just a lot less clear about what it does.

Contrast this with Spartan where it involves the first action you play every turn, the rules even say that if you played an action before playing Spartan it doesn't count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
rdekemp wrote:
The moment you play Killer Queen, its ability has been satisfied, so you can indeed use its talent.

Killer Queen's talent specifies ANOTHER minion, so if you only played Killer Queen that turn it doesn't count. But if you played killer queen and another minion in the same turn it still counts, order be damned. For all other turns you only need to play one minion for it to take effect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Killer Queen's Talent comes into play on a subsequent turn, unless an action card or base power allows you to play another minion on the same base, on the same turn OR if the Killer Queen was the second played minion.

Playing the Killer Queen alone does NOT trigger its talent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dombrovsky
Ukraine
Kharkov
Colorado
flag msg tools
Two more questions about Killer Queen.
1. If I play more then one minion on a Queen's base? I still get counters only for one of them? I believe so. You can use talent only once per turn (per phase two).
2. Base Standing Stones - During your turn, one of your minions here can use its Talent twice. So, Killer Queen can do her talent twice now. Can I play one minion to Standing Stones and take 2 counters for both or I need to play two minions to activate the talent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ho6kun wrote:
1. If I play more then one minion on a Queen's base? I still get counters only for one of them? I believe so. You can use talent only once per turn (per phase two).

That is how I would interpret it also.

Quote:

2. Base Standing Stones - During your turn, one of your minions here can use its Talent twice. So, Killer Queen can do her talent twice now. Can I play one minion to Standing Stones and take 2 counters for both or I need to play two minions to activate the talent?

You wouldn't need to play another minion. You're just activating a talent twice. Each activation gets evaluated independently, without regard to how the previous activation came about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Guazzelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
Ho6kun wrote:

I agree with rdekemp but, I would rather interpret that every minion gains the counter, because the text says: "If you played another minion here this turn"
I know it can be wrong, but this interpretation can power up the Killer Queen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xLeke wrote:
Ho6kun wrote:

I agree with rdekemp but, I would rather interpret that every minion gains the counter, because the text says: "If you played another minion here this turn"
I know it can be wrong, but this interpretation can power up the Killer Queen.

If EVERY minion you played that turn got counters the card would probably read.

"Talent: If you played other minions here this turn, place a +1 power counter on this minion and each of those minions."

Instead of

"Talent: If you played another minion here this turn, place a +1 power counter on this minion and that minion."

Also at that point it would better to just make it ongoing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.