Popular Tags: [View All]
Jered Biard
United States
Little Elm
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Greetings fellow hunters!

In response to the massive call for large boxes to store all of our incredible forthcoming game components, I have decided to move forward with plans to hand craft custom wooden boxes for this game. Vampire Hunters is going to ship with an extraordinary amount of content, including tiles, cards, minis, tokens and so much more. In all likelihood, these items will ship in several small individual/set expansion boxes. Much of this content is Kickstarter Exclusive as well. Further, with all of the add-on content available, many of us will wind up with a myriad of small VH boxes on our shelves.

I have been creating fine custom wood crafts for years, to include everything from card trays to boxes to shot glass racks and even furniture. I've been looking for the perfect opportunity to do more of this type of work, and this game has given me the incentive to do just that.

This thread will be used to discuss thematic design, features and any other aspects of such boxes. Please feel free to comment and discuss. Between your creative ideas and my woodworking skills, we are sure to devise the most effective and impressive vault possible for this game.

My current plan is to spend the time between now and delivery discussing ideas and developing several designs. Once we receive our game, I will finalize those designs using the measurements I am able to take from the actual components. I am all in on the KS campaign, so I will have at least one of every item.

Thanks in advance for any and all contributions to this thread.

- Jered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tack
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
That's definitely something I'd be interested in...

We'll talk more later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Roberts
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it coffin shaped and you can help yourself to my wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhoades
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
^^What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jered Biard
United States
Little Elm
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I'm starting off with the assumption that this game and all the add-ons, etc will take up basically an entire shelf on a standard bookcase. Given that, I measured a couple of mine here. Shelf opening width is 27", and they are 15" deep. Height is adjustable, but I figure a standard book height of about 9.5" for the box as a starting point. So, the maximum exterior dimensions can be 26x15x9.5. This should give clearance on top and sides.

If it is to be coffin shaped, it needs to be gothic or something you would associate with vampires and this game in particular. I would lean towards an angular side wall design, something akin to what is pictured here: http://gallery.yopriceville.com/Free-Clipart-Pictures/Hallow...

Now, back to the overall dimensions. I would want to maximize the interior capacity of the box without having it protrude from the front of a 15" shelf. This means, we probably don't want to angle the long lower section in too steeply, maybe down to 10-12" width at the end from 15". Same or less at the head end. This will make for a short, slightly squatty coffin when looking at the closed lid.

This would leave around 2 cubic feet of interior capacity. Maybe a little less.

I would like to make the coffin slightly more proportional than the above if some space can be sacrificed. This will remain to be determined after I get some measurements.

One big question I have is this. Will most people prefer to store each of the VH boxes inside the coffin, or will they prefer to take all components out of those boxes and store them in the coffin. This will factor into the interior capacity requirements, and it will also affect whether and how many inserts such as dividers/grids and trays need to be made to drop in and stack.

Any thoughts on these topics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lilbandit74 wrote:
Make it coffin shaped and you can help yourself to my wallet.

Ughhh *drops wallet on the ground and backs away slowly*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fox
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Coffin would be cool, but I think an antiqued look would be more appropriate. Think of an old wooden box with weathered leather straps that would have been used by van helsing. Here is a link to a vampire hunter kit... I am all about the red interior.. could have compartments or drawers. Also, could have a cross on the top of the box.

http://theghostdiaries.com/real-vampire-hunter-kits-from-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fox
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
By the way, if it looks good I am in all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jack
msg tools
I generally prefer to store components divided up into trays for easy setup. If spacing is an issue, having both a hunter's case for some components and minis and a coffin for the other minis would be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jered Biard
United States
Little Elm
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Justin,

I agree, and it is possible that I will build more than one style. The red interior is a must, regardless of the type of box I think. Good inputs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jered Biard
United States
Little Elm
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Mike,

I'm on board with the trays. I prefer this method as well. I just wonder how people will feel about storing the original boxes separately. If that's not a real concern, I'll happily drop it as it will provide for many more functional design aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
jbiard wrote:
Mike,

I'm on board with the trays. I prefer this method as well. I just wonder how people will feel about storing the original boxes separately. If that's not a real concern, I'll happily drop it as it will provide for many more functional design aspects.

Not a fan of parting with the original boxes, but the value of having a frickin' coffin on the game shelf will more than make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fox
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I generally store my boxes separately & store all the game pieces in one location (usually a custom box). So I agree that there should be trays to support the game & all the optional expansions that they added in the KS campaign. I bought everything on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow!!! +1

if I could add, my 2 cents would be directed to: if you can make some of the main gameplay components storage in trays; so that they can be put in and out easy. speeding set up and brake down.

kind of like daegalous does with most of their inserts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jered Biard
United States
Little Elm
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the note Chang. My current plan is to take measurements when the parts arrive. Then, I will aim for a layout that allows the primary game components to be accessible from the top center. Expansions would be underneath or to the sides or both. Trays/inserts are definitely in order here. They will need to have a snug fit so that crawlers don't go jumping into Emma's tray at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh no EMMA!!!
cool..
btw this is what I was talking about. Mage Knight (which I own) and EH are my favs; they no only look great, they help setingup/brakedown and make the table look soooo neat

http://www.daedalusproductionsinc.com/product-category/game-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.