Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Rowlands
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hello! My name is Chris Rowlands and I am one of the designers of The Last Garden and we're looking for folks to check out our rules. The game is a worker placement game about Robotanists in the post-apocalypse, and the rules can be viewed here: http://bit.ly/TLGrulesdraft

We'd of course be willing to return the favor.

Thanks so much!

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Couple of suggestions:

1. Show gems being placed in the gardens when you're showing examples of playing a card.

I think it would help with the understanding of where gems come from when you're explaining how robotanists score points, even though it is relatively clear in the rulebook. (Also is it "robotanist or robotonist"? I see both)

2. The garden areas are a bit confusing. I would add a full board picture at the beginning.

Are there multiple garden areas? I haven't seen a picture of the full setup, so I can't tell. Based on the rules alone, it seems ambiguous as to whether or not there is one garden area or multiple. That could have just been me, though. This adds confusion for some sentences down the line, but I assume it could be clarified by looking at the game board.

3. There is some confusion as to what belongs where in Garden Locations

It looks like the die placed on each garden location is in the same spot as the cog to place the robotanist?

I would show your 4 locations as how they would look with the game set up/in progress. Not just the base location. Or some combination of both? Not sure on this one

4. Change the wording in the mine scoring description

I see someone else edited this, but your wording is a bit off when you're explaining how points are scored in the mines. There is an ambiguity when you say "most gems of a color" - that usually implies that the most greens gets 5, the second most greens gets 3, which I believe is not your intent.

5. There needs to be some clarification on exactly how the lab works

Are robotanist meeples placed in the lab stuck there until you play your program or are they collected at the end of the round?

Are you allowed to play a robotanist on an empty lab space, for no effect?

If all 6 spots have robotanists on them, and someone plays a program, the program has to be returned to the lab. Does that program automatically go to the person with a robotanist in that location? Or are programs only collected when you place the robotanist? I assume the latter, but if so- is there any way to indicate that the card was placed afterwards?

You might want to structure the rules to be explicit on how the lab robotanist/card placing works, and give some kind of order if you don't want any double dipping. Like, place used Programs in a discard pile next to the lab - and put them back in the lab at the start of the next turn. Or something like that.

6. I would replace the word "Nominate" with "Declare." (Nominate that you are playing your program)

7. Wilting is not described in the right location, or to a full enough effect that I don't have to guess.

Does wilting occur whether or not there is a robotanist placed in the corresponding workshop row? If so, this should be mentioned in the rules sometime before this, like when you're describing the process of placing a gem. (as this action would trigger the wilt condition) When EXACTLY does the wilting process occur? I know when scoring happens for it, although the order should be mentioned during "The Queens Favor Step" section as well.

8. I would change the sentence "After you have completed the last round, the game is over"

This would be a great time to reiterate how many rounds need to be played based on the number of players. As this is something that I had to go back and look up.

9. Favor tokens need some clarification

The last sentence of the rulebook states there is no favor tokens.

This sentence comes after the scoring section, which tells you to collect favor tokens.

That's it. Looks solid. Organized very well. Love the theme of this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NPCChris wrote:
The Last Garden

Great title.

NPCChris wrote:
the rules can be viewed here: http://bit.ly/TLGrulesdraft

Please don't use URL shorteners where you don't have to. They are a security risk: they make it harder for the reader to evaluate whether the link goes to a safe location, and also make it easier for a hacker to hijack your link and send it some place unsafe.

They can be a reasonable trade-off when you really need brevity, like if a human being is going to need to type the URL by hand, or if your bandwidth is very small (e.g. Twitter). But as a clickable link in a forum post, there's essentially no upside.

Bonus trivia: you know how Google Docs gives you the option to share documents via a link? That's reasonably private because the link is hard to guess, like a password (high entropy). But if you put that link in any sort of URL-shortener service, you are making it much easier to guess (because it's short), which removes most of the privacy benefit; it's like protecting your account with a password of "password".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rowlands
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Dandin wrote:
Couple of suggestions:

The last sentence of the rulebook states there is no favor tokens.

This sentence comes after the scoring section, which tells you to collect favor tokens.

Thanks for the feedback! For clarity, these are rules which we packaged with prototypes we gave away at Gen Con. We didn't provide favor tokens with those prototypes, and so we added that part at the end to clarify that. I'll probably just remove it, as it is leading to confusion.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rowlands
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Antistone wrote:
Please don't use URL shorteners where you don't have to.
Good to know! Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to like all the witty use of the term favor, i.e. using its uncountable meaning in countable context and having "favor tokens" as components, but it's really hard to read. Furthermore Queen's favor and Queen's visit sound pretty similar and are easy to confuse. In fact I would have expected that during her visit HRH the Queen dishes out favors rather than freezing a die.

An image of the board in the components or setup section would be very helpful.

The name "the Lab" falls from the heavens without explanation that it is a section of the game board.

In the "Place a Robotanist" section, I'd only describe placement in the Lab in detail, and begin the section "Queen's favor step" with the explanation of wilting, followed by scoring of the different other worker placement spots. But that also means that each worker placement spot should have the worker placement spot (cog) icon (missing from the petals/flower beds/garden areas in the garden).

Workers are inconsistently spelled Robotanists or Robotonists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this facebook group. They have a monthly rules trade.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gamemakerslab/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.