J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, now we just need the States to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
So just in case people skimmed, the conclusion is this:

Privatizing prisons reduced the safety and quality of prisons, while at the same time NOT cutting costs.

And here I thought private industry could do everything better than the gov't could ><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news. Scale back the war on drugs and we'll be making real justice reform progress. Do the feds use bail formula reforms? I've been hearing about those lately for local judiciaries and the initial data looks really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Excellent news. Scale back the war on drugs and we'll be making real justice reform progress. Do the feds use bail formula reforms? I've been hearing about those lately for local judiciaries and the initial data looks really good.

A big reason the 'war on drugs' has been pushed with such fervor is that it was a HUGE money-maker for the 'for profit' prisons. With their influence being substantially reduced, it may be possible to get some traction on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news. So many perverse incentives in the for-profit aspects of the legal, penal, judicial system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Competence- It's like a whole new form of cheating!
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
"My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard"

Excellent longform journalism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Excellent, now we just need the States to follow.

How exactly is a broke state like California going to do that ? borrow more ?

Also, private prisons make up less the 6% of all prisons so our data may not be very accurate.

Lastly, States can terminate private prison contracts, who watches the state prisons when the state also runs them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Lastly, States can terminate private prison contracts, who watches the state prisons when the state also runs them ?
The ACLU?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
So just in case people skimmed, the conclusion is this:

Privatizing prisons reduced the safety and quality of prisons, while at the same time NOT cutting costs.

And here I thought private industry could do everything better than the gov't could ><

Which is exactly what would happen to every service Libertarians tried to replace with a private solution.

Letting private businesses run amok has never worked out well for society OR the consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
"My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard"

Excellent longform journalism.
Yes, that was a great piece.

Quote:
Conservatively, counting just the biggest chunks of staff time that went into it, the prison story cost roughly $350,000. The banner ads that appeared on the article brought in $5,000, give or take. Had we been really in your face with ads, we could have doubled or tripled that figure—but it would have been a pain for you, and still only a drop in the bucket for us.

MoJo did have support from three foundations for our criminal justice reporting. That’s amazing—but foundation grants only go so far. They are typically limited in time (a few years, tops) and scope (focusing on a particular issue or initiative). And they are finite: All of our foundation support put together accounts for roughly 15 percent of MoJo’s annual revenue.
http://m.motherjones.com/media/2016/08/whats-missing-from-jo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls