Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

How abstracted is FCM? I'm thinking of throwing some newbies at it, but if the mechanics are too abstract I'll need to think again. Comments on throwing newbies at it also welcome.

How straightforward are the rules? Intuitive? Fiddly? I realise there are a few, but if they are intuitive and not fiddly then that's fine by me.

And finally, is the weight rating a measure of the play or the rules (or both)? I come across games, sometimes, that have a very heavy weighting but not many rules. Diplomacy and Civilizationcome to mind.

How heavy a rating would you give it, considering rules only and not play? Something like Taj Mahal or Puerto Rico?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found FCM to be a hard game to teach. The rules aren't bad and everything is pretty intuitive. In my experience, players struggle most with the marketing.

I've also taught it to several folks for whom this was their first or second modern board game. It went over well. I usually artificially restrict the bank for teaching games to be a step or two lower than the beginner game.

That said, much depends on the personalities of the folks who are sitting down for a game. FCM is a hard game to play well and a mean game. Players are liable to get crushed by their own actions and the actions of others. If you've got a set of folks who wouldn't mind that and likes a good challenge, it's a good pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm it's certainly a step up from both those games. Rules are intuitive and few but it can be hard seeing the consequences of your actions. Opaque you could call it. So it's the game and not the rules that make it heavy. That coupled with it being a very punishing game where one error early on can mean you've lost - unless others make worse mistakes later on of cause - means it isn't a game I would play with newbies. Unless they do not mind that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found teaching it to be time-consuming because people usually want to know what all of the employees do and what all the milestones do. Telling people that their goal the first game should just be to get a business that functions (ie: they don't have to fire all their employees ) is good enough sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is difficult in that there is much to keep track of if you want to play the game well. The rules are actually pretty straightforward compared to rules heavy, kitchen sink style, modern euros. The difficulty is that you absolutely, positively cannot ignore what your opponents are up to and expect to do at all well.

You need to know the distance of every restaurant from every house, you need to know what the production capacity (of food and drinks) each player has, the discount capacity, the number of waitresses, their total capacity in middle management and how many employees they can field on a turn. And on, and on and on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Auld
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
That said, much depends on the personalities of the folks who are sitting down for a game. FCM is a hard game to play well and a mean game. Players are liable to get crushed by their own actions and the actions of others. If you've got a set of folks who wouldn't mind that and likes a good challenge, it's a good pick.

I especially agree with this. Mechanically, FCM isn't especially complicated, but it can be really difficult for people to pick up on strategically. If someone just likes to figure their early strategy out as they go or doesn't want to pay close attention to exactly what everyone else is doing, then they're liable to get blown out pretty badly. I've seen players effectively removed from the game because they didn't react ASAP to an opponent telegraphing a big move they were going to make in the coming turns. That kind of gameplay doesn't work for everyone. I personally love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stylemys wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

I especially agree with this. Mechanically, FCM isn't especially complicated, but it can be really difficult for people to pick up on strategically. If someone just likes to figure their early strategy out as they go or doesn't want to pay close attention to exactly what everyone else is doing, then they're liable to get blown out pretty badly. I've seen players effectively removed from the game because they didn't react ASAP to an opponent telegraphing a big move they were going to make in the coming turns. That kind of gameplay doesn't work for everyone. I personally love it.

Another +1 to this.

The rules aren't tough to teach, but the game is completely unforgiving. There is no catch-up mechanism and a player can put themselves completely out of the game very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://heavycardboard.com/2015/11/05/heavy-cardboard-episod...

Our review covers all this and more quite indepthly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
The rules are pretty easy (for a Splotter) but the strategy is totally opaque.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically, there is quite a few things going on as there is so many different employees and milestones.

However, all of them are easy to understand, it just takes awhile to get there. Also, vets of the game understand selling goods much better than others. I can just look at player boards and know exactly whats selling and where and to whom. But then I have to explain each house to new players every time.

It plays easy but the depth is rather far. You will have a lot of people excuting many different strategies and you have to figure out which is goinb to work out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to be really good at scenario based analysis in my opinion.

"If I do this, then they would counter with that, and if he does that I need to respond with this". And sometimes you can't wait even for 1 turn to see what they're actually doing, you have to think ahead a few moves, not just your own moves, but the other players' as well.

If you can compute all the myriad of possibilities in your head you can then choose the option that's best overall. Very hard to do, but very rewarding if you pull it off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.