GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,666 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Into the Fray rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PLAY NOTE: When taking Losses, roll no more dice at a time
than your total Legions, Leaders, Citadels, and Forts, in case
all rolls are 1-3.

Given the above Play note, found on page 8 under taking Battle Losses, do you have to roll dice for all such Legions, Leaders, Citadels and Forts at the same time, or can you roll a die, then determine your next choice. I think you can do this given...

<found in the same section above>
If the roll is a
4, 5, or 6, the Loss is absorbed without removing any piece. Such
a piece that survives on a roll of 4-6 may be the target of more
rolls to absorb further Losses, until removed on 1-3.

So, you could roll up to the number of forces/places or you can opt to roll one at a time...

I can't think of a reason to roll all at once. Roll once, (risking your Legion) and succeed. Roll a second time risking the same Legion... etc. Once you lose what you can afford to lose, then move on. I can see a situation where I have 2 Aux, 1 Legion and 1 Fort in a location and I take 3 losses. I need at least 1 Aux for some reason and thus I assign the first loss to the Legion. if I roll 4-6, it lives and then I can take the next hit on the Legion again. (I could also just take off the Legion and 2nd Aux, but I'm gambling anywhay...) I roll again and get a 5...the Legion survives. Once again I'm faced with a choice... Roll or take off the Aux. At this point, since I only need 1 Aux for my future plan, I choose the Aux because it is more valuable than the Legion. I could roll again, but pushing my luck 3 times seems senseless. If I wanted to, however, I could roll again and a 4-6 would save the Legion a 3rd time...

Do I have this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it correct.

An example of when you roll multiple dice at the same time would be when you have multiple legions and chose to absorb losses with them first. Say you have 3 legions and know that all of them would have to die before you assign losses to another unit you could roll 3 dice at once, then keep rolling if any legions survive.
Of course you could also roll one die at a time 3 times, but why not speed the game up a little bit?

The note is just there to remind you not to roll 4 dice in the above situation, since then you'd have a problem if 3 losses show up: is the success counted as the 3 legions absorbing one additional loss before being killed, or would you have rolled the 3 losses first and need to absorb one more loss with other units...

Also, if in doubt just stick to the rules, play notes are not rules and are simply meant to help understand rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niko

I understand your response perfectly...

a follow up question...

Why would I ever risk the loss of Legions before Auxiliary? I'm not that deep into my understanding to make that call yet, but intuitively, I know that losing legions is bad and is a victory condition for another faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
Why would I ever risk the loss of Legions before Auxiliary? I'm not that deep into my understanding to make that call yet, but intuitively, I know that losing legions is bad and is a victory condition for another faction.

Because you feel lucky? Because you think you're going to be hosed if you lose the Aux but you might have a fighting chance if the Aux + Legions survive?

Those are about the only reasons I can come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you have 3 legions and Caesar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
But in that case you might as well roll all the dice since Caesar gets a roll too.
Unless of course there's an ability out there that modifies the die rolls for one unit type somehow, then those would need to be separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
mk20336 wrote:
But in that case you might as well roll all the dice since Caesar gets a roll too.
Unless of course there's an ability out there that modifies the die rolls for one unit type somehow, then those would need to be separate.

Assume you have 3 legions and Caesar. You need to absorb 3 loses.
You really prefer to roll on legions... And after 3 rolls some of them might even survive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.