Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my ongoing efforts to better understand Cry Havoc, I'm very curious as the design decision not to have the game at a fixed number of rounds, but rather to tie it to points generation.

My initial impression is that this only serves to aid the humans and the Trogs, as they are the fastest developing races. In contrast, the Pilgrims and Machines seem to gear up more slowly, and so shortening the game might only hurt them.

I wonder why this mechanism exists in the game at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
It's a potential solution for a runaway leader problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coiote wrote:
It's a potential solution for a runaway leader problem.

How is something that exacerbates a runaway leader a solution for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It shortens the game if someone is winning by a significant amount. That does not exacerbate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say in my game last night, Machines vs Humans, if I'd had an additional round I may have been able to tighten the distance in scores, but I don't think I could have won.

The Humans did shorten that game by 1 round from scoring 15 in round one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
In my ongoing efforts to better understand Cry Havoc, I'm very curious as the design decision not to have the game at a fixed number of rounds, but rather to tie it to points generation.

My initial impression is that this only serves to aid the humans and the Trogs, as they are the fastest developing races. In contrast, the Pilgrims and Machines seem to gear up more slowly, and so shortening the game might only hurt them.

Others have said this, but just to jump in:
If someone is really playing well and dominating, the game ends sooner.
If someone is being dominated and losing badly, the game ends sooner.

Typically only shows up once you're more experienced.

It's less a fix for runaway leader problem and more an alternate lever for experienced players to exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
It shortens the game if someone is winning by a significant amount. That does not exacerbate it.

It does if some races are slower to develop than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
MDJD wrote:

Others have said this, but just to jump in:
If someone is really playing well and dominating, the game ends sooner.
If someone is being dominated and losing badly, the game ends sooner.

Typically only shows up once you're more experienced.

It's less a fix for runaway leader problem and more an alternate lever for experienced players to exercise.

Thanks for the response, Grant. I may leave this rule out in my next few games, however, to see if that alleviates some of the issues I'm having with the two races I think are slower to develop. Maybe I can reintroduce it if people become experienced enough.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
bubblepipemedia wrote:

Then that does not exacerbate the problem of a runaway leader. It exacerbates the problem of a short game vs a long game. A runaway leader generally means that you would not have caught up to them. Not that "I would have caught up to them given enough rounds."

Semantics mind you. Just because the word I'd use is different doesn't mean it's not a problem. I'm not sure if I know a single word for your problem. I'd file it under 'unbalanced' if you are genuinely concerned that certain races have a rush-game strategy that the other races simply cannot keep up with. But I'm guessing they tested the hell out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
MDJD wrote:
bubblepipemedia wrote:

Then that does not exacerbate the problem of a runaway leader. It exacerbates the problem of a short game vs a long game. A runaway leader generally means that you would not have caught up to them. Not that "I would have caught up to them given enough rounds."

Semantics mind you. Just because the word I'd use is different doesn't mean it's not a problem. I'm not sure if I know a single word for your problem. I'd file it under 'unbalanced' if you are genuinely concerned that certain races have a rush-game strategy that the other races simply cannot keep up with. But I'm guessing they tested the hell out of this.

You are correct. I got a little off track. My concern with the rule is that I think a short game might favor some factions over others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.